Fabricio Werdum returns to the Octagon at UFC 143 to face Roy Nelson

Despite recent comments from Dana White pointing in the other direction it seems as if at least one more Strikeforce fighter is headed to the UFC, as Fabricio Werdum is set for his Octagon return at UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit against Roy Nelson. The event is set for February 4 and takes place in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Werdum won three of his last four as a member of Strikeforce, including a stunning submission victory over Fedor Emelianenko. Werdum (14-5-1) competed in the UFC before, winning two fights before falling to current UFC heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos.

Nelson, a winner of The Ultimate Fighter, got himself back on track after losses to dos Santos and Frank Mir by defeating Mirko Filipovic via third round TKO earlier this year.

News of the bout was first reported MMAWeekly.

UFC 143 will be headlined by an interim UFC welterweight championship match between Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

• Hohlraum says:

Happy for him. He’s talented regardless of the whole boring issue.

• I like this fight alot, and I like the prospect of bringing SF’s better HWs over to the UFC….This could be great, so could Kharitov vs. Kongo/Mitrione/Barry, Cormier vs. Anyone etc.

But in this fight Im takin Roy. Werdums ground game is stunning but Roy has the chops to deal with it and he also has the punching power to make Fabricio fear his fists…Roy by decision
    This card is shaping up nicely.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I got Werdum on the feet and the ground. Nelson has never ever beaten atop 20 fighter and I cant see him starting now. Werdum via Roy is ave.

I think that SF & UFC could actually swap a few HW’s and make things interesting in both orgs

• fanoftna33 says:

Great fight for Werdum, his improved striking should really help him out here, I think he takes a decision.

• joe mo mma says:

Hopefully Barnett is picked up as well. A fight with Mir/Nog/Nelson or even any other HW would be a good fight.

• MCM says:

“Nelson has never ever beaten atop 20 fighter and I cant see him starting now.”

That’s exactly what I said about Overeem before he fought Werdum. ;)

It’s tough for me to pick against Roy (IFL never dies!), but this is a tough fight. I’d like to give the striking edge to Werdum since he picked apart Overeem, but then I saw him sparing against Wandy and he looked like absolute garbage. On paper, Werdum has the grappling advantage, but so did Nog against Mir and Roy has never been outclassed on the ground. Power easily goes toward Roy.
    I’m gonna say Big Country by TKO in the second.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hate to say it but this dude is getting wiped out immediately

• MCM says:

which dude?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

If you did say that MCM you forgot about Hunt, Rogers, Vovchanchyn, Belfort, Kharitonov and Paul Buentello who were all top 20 when he fought them. Nelson has never fought and beaten any top 20s but Overeem has beaten 2 top 10s and 5 top 20s. Its OK to say stupid things every now and then dude.