Jorge Masvidal fought with an injured right hand against Gilbert Melendez

If you’re wondering why Jorge Masvidal threw almost exclusively jabs on Saturday night against Gilbert Melendez, it might have something to do with a broken right hand.

Masvidal’s management team released a statement following the bout saying that the fighter suffered the injury just weeks before the bout, but decided to remain in the main event rather than dropping off the card. In the first round of the five round title affair, Masvidal re-aggravated the hand, which left him to use only his jab as his primary weapon. Masvidal was hoping for additional treatment on his hand prior to the bout, but was told by the commission that it was too late.

According to “Gamebred” the strategy was to takedown Melendez, but due to his injured hand, couldn’t execute the game plan laid out by his American Top Team trainers. The end result was Masvidal ending up on the losing end of a 25-minute decision to lightweight champion Melendez in the title bout.

Masvidal will get his hand checked out by doctors in the coming days to determine the severity of the injury and whether or not it will keep him out of action for long. The California State Athletic Commission will also release their medical suspensions list, which could feature Masvidal due to his hand injury.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• climbarock says:

Damn, I knew something was wrong with the dude…he was landing the left hand nicely and I kept wondering why he wouldn’t follow it up.

Hope down the road he gets another shot… That fight made me feel like Gilbert can stay in SF for now…not an overly impressive win.

and yes I know DW said he was staying thre anyway as part of the Showtime deal BUT if that wasn’t the case I think he should still be there anyway…

• Hohlraum says:

The game plan was to take Melendez down. Yeah, sure. That’s why made how many take down attempts? Excuses.

• Lord Faust says:

You might want to re-read that Hohlraum.

Kind of hard to pull off a takedown with a busted hand.

• Creature says:

Hohlraum you must have never wrestled before.. Getting a TD with only 1 hand against someone who has any TD defense at all is nearly impossible, let alone someone whos as good of a wrestler Melendez is.

I think the the fact that Masvidal was hardly throwing any strikes at all when hes known as a great striker shows hes not pulling this outta his a**

• To a degree Im agreed with Holhlraum. His plan was to take down a great wrestler who’s near impossible to take down? And he was cleared to fight with a broken hand? With the comission aware of his hand being broken makin it impossible to receive medical treatment for it because it was too close to the event?

Does that sound fishy to anyone but me? I’ll admit that I dont know how atheletic comissions work with injuries that are serious to a fighters health and performance like a broken hand or foot, but I’d figure if Rashad couldnt fight two months out due to a broken hand how could masvidal do so a few weeks out?

• Kamakosmo says:

“Rashad couldnt fight two months out due to a broken hand how could masvidal do so a few weeks out?”

As far as I remember, Evans pulled out of those fights (he’s pulled out of a few due to injuries to the knee and hand), he was not DQ’d by any commission…again, as far as I know.

• Lord Faust says:

It may not be broken, it could be severely sprained. Either way, any sort of remotely serious hand injury is going to make takedowns a “no go”.

Kamakosmo is correct, as I don’t recall Rashad failing any sort of medical exam; he just said “I broke my hand” and was wearing a cast for quite a while.

• Creature says:

“I’ll admit that I dont know how atheletic comissions work with injuries that are serious to a fighters health and performance like a broken hand or foot, but I’d figure if Rashad couldnt fight two months out due to a broken hand how could masvidal do so a few weeks out?”

If i remember correctly Tito has fought with a fractured skull, in the 2nd Griffin fight i believe, Griffin also fought with a broken foot during the fight, i think it depends on the regulation of the state they are in when it comes to determining allowance with injuries