Nate Diaz says he is better than Donald Cerrone on every level

When Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone meet in the co-main event of UFC 141 next Friday night fans should expect nothing but fireworks after fireworks after fireworks followed by, you guessed it – fireworks.

Diaz, who has won just two of his last four fights, will be trying to slow down the freight-train that is the “Cowboy.” Cerrone is on a current six-fight win streak that includes three submission wins and a TKO.

As far as Diaz, a student under Cesar Gracie who trains with his talented brother, Nick Diaz, and former champion Jake Shields, none of that matters.

“I feel like I’m better than all the guys in my division (155 pounds),” said the younger Diaz in a UFC interview promoting the upcoming event. “He is definitely a guy that likes to fight, but I think I’m better than him everywhere, honestly.”

Diaz has been involved in four “Fight of the Nights” during his time in the UFC, while Cerrone has one under the UFC banner and five while competing in the WEC. Diaz won his last bout over Takanori Gomi in his return to lightweight after competing as a welterweight for several years.

The main event of UFC 141 will feature Alistair Overeem and Brock Lesnar in a five-round war to become the #1 contender in the UFC’s heavyweight ranks.

Watch Diaz/Cerrone talk about their bout in the UFC 141 Preview starting about six minutes into the video:

• Nate may be a better grappler and Cerrone may be a better striker…but the gap is so minute between the two of them that its a true dream match up. Donald has better kicks, Nate has better hands. Im more pumped for this than Brock vs. Overeem

• Hohlraum says:

Cerrone is about 1,000,000 more explosive than Diaz. Either way, I honestly am excited to see either of them fight. For some reason though I think Diaz is going to lose.

• edub says:

Well since Diaz has taken the opportunity to brake it down for us, why don’t we brake down the skill sets for ourselves, shall we:

Boxing- Diaz- Finds his range better, throws straight punches (which Cowboy also does), throws more combinations, mixes up his attack more

Kickboxing- Cerrone- Cerrone is the much superior kicker, both have a decent clinch game.

Wrestling- Cerrone- Basically, if your last name is Diaz, you probably don’t hold the wrestling advantage.

BJJ- Diaz- Nate works with probably the best camp to improve your jj at. Him and Nick bring a great attacking guard game, and Gil and Jake provide great wrestling with awesome scrambling ability. Cowboy is no slouch here, but he’s just not on Nate’s level.

Cardio- As opposite to the wrestling, if your last name is Diaz, you probably do hold the cardio advantage. Although again, Cowboy is no slouch.

Strength- Cowboy- He does have it by that much, but his improved wrestling has upped his strength in all assets of his game.

Speed- Push- Nate has faster hands. Donald has faster kicks. Donald’s faster with the takedowns. Nate is faster inside the clinch. Both are pretty slow by elite lw standards in scrambling/grappling on the ground.

I pick Nate to win by sub, but this could really go either way. Should be an awesome scrap.

• Lord Faust says:

Cerrone by takes the decision, and we get another series of balls-out fights “a la” Bendo/Cerrone.

• MCM says:

Both Guida and Guillard hold wins over Diaz and both train with Cerrone at G.J.
    Better game planing – Cerrone by a long shot.
    I really wanna see Donald finish this fight, and I think he just might.

• edub says:

Good point about gameplanning, however Guillard has a loss to Diaz, not a win. Cowboy doesn’t have the skill set Guida posesses (he doesn’t have the wrestling to LNP), and his fight with Nate was pretty damn close anyway.

Either way, if anybody is getting finished it will be Cowboy. IMO he either loses inside the distance or wins a decision.

• MCM says:

I gotta pay more attention when I write, Guillard > Diaz (eye roll).

And yes, odds are more in favor of Cowboy getting finished instead of Diaz, but I can dream. Come on, how insecure do you have to be that you can’t deal with someone saying “Hi”.

• MickeyC says:

You have to hate it when a couple of your Favs fight. But I am going with the Cowboy. I think his intensity will make all the difrence.

• twodragunns says:

Nate Diaz is delusional saying he’s better than Cowboy everywhere ….. I think it’s the other way around and I think we’re all going to see Nate take his lumps Cowboy style.

• twodragunns says:

Diaz thinks he’s better than every 155′er in the UFC? …… this guy is seriously delusional and Cowboy will smack his ass around the cage come fight night.

• Sykotick says:

Nate thinks he is the best 155 lbser?? I think he needs to put his brother’s bony down

I think Diaz has permanent brain damage from all those Rory Mcdonald belly to back suplexes a while back…

• edub says:

MCM- Yea the Diaz bros are a different breed. It kind of entertains me though, since it’s such an anomaly. I kind of expect them to be assholes whenever now.

• kuboa says:

Unmentioned is the mental edge Cowboy has. He’s been getting more focused and professional every time out, and anyone named Diaz is a permanently volatile situation. One must be careful not to give Nate the credit Nick has earned, they’re different people.

Cowboy’s power, especially in the kicking department, is probably too much for Diaz, and he really is getting better. I suspect he and Bendo (if not, perhaps, Showtime) are still proving to themselves and the world that being in the WEC never meant they were second-rate, which is why they’re so motivated.

Cowboy, TKO Rnd 2.

• edub says:

If Mental edge was a category (which I didn’t add because they are both close), it would have to go to Nate. He’s been in with the MUCH better competition throughout his career (Maynard, Guida, Macdonald, Kim, Prime Stevenson, Prime Pellegrino).

His mental state may look volatile, but him and his brother stay that way for a reason. It’s the only way they know how to prepare for a fight.

• Im glad to see this discussion take off the way it has.

Diaz is a FAR better boxer than cowboy and cowboy is a far better KICKboxer(operative word being kick here). Diaz’s jits is light years ahead of cowboys even the Donalds is great he’s never been in the ring with a jits guy that can fight like Nate. Cowboy’s wrestling is better but Nate fended off Dong Hyun Kim on the ground and was never even close to being finished by Rory macdonald despite getting slammed onto his skull repeatedly.

And that’s where I think Nate’s advantage really is…since goin up to WW, LWs just arent near as strong. i love both these guys and truly think that no matter the outcome next friday both will come out lookin like stars AND we’ll see this one again someday. maybe for a title