Dan Hardy seeking bout with UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes

Dan Hardy, who has stepped inside the Octagon with some of the best fighters in the world, has taken extra time off to prepare himself mentally and physically to halt a four-fight losing skid.

“The Outlaw” was kept from being released by the UFC thanks to his willingness to go all-out each time he has fought, including a war with Chris Lytle in his last encounter. Hardy lost, adding to defeats at the hands of UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre, Carlos Condit, and Anthony Johnson.

Hardy, however, has plans for his return to action, calling out UFC Hall of Fame fighter Matt Hughes, easily the most dominant welterweight title-holder in UFC history before GSP showed up.

“I’ve mentioned Matt Hughes to Lorenzo. He’s been on a rough streak as well recently, he’ll look at me and see I’ve lost four fights and think he can outwrestle me,” said Hardy, in a recent interview with ESPN. “I also genuinely don’t like him. I need a fight to get up for and I’d take great pleasure in smashing him in the face.”

Prior to dropping four in a row, Hardy had won seven consecutive fights to secure his shot at GSP and the UFC title. The Brit has no love for Hughes, saying, “It’s some knowledge I have about him away from the sport. Even students around where he lives bet against him.” Hardy refused to divulge any further information.

Hughes is currently still deciding if he even wants to fight again, having suffered a knockout loss to Josh Koscheck earlier this year. However, a little more trash-talk from a Brit with name value who is in a career free-fall could be enough to bring him back into the cage and provide him with an opportunity to retire on a high note.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• edub says:

Really, Matt Hughes?

Send in him to SF, if they’re are really keeping that class.

• climbarock says:

Calling out aging legends is tasteless. Hardy is lucky he still has a job with UFC…god knows why.

• MCM says:

“Calling out aging legends is tasteless.”

But effective. Dan Hardy is news again.
    I think this is good fight for both guys. If Hardy wins, and I think he has the skills to, it gets people talking about him even more and leads to better fights or he becomes a good stepping stone for the WW up and comers. If Hughes wins, he also has the skills to, he goes out with a W over a former title challenger. This also works in that the UFC is also not sacrificing a legit prospect to either of these two. That’s if Hughes even wants to fight anymore.

• Creature says:

Dumb move for Hardy IMO, even with Hughes aging and not being anywhere near the top form he used to be, i think he still handles Hardy and submits him..

• Lord Faust says:

As much as I’d like to think that, I think Hardy taps him on the jaw and Hughes retires like most fighters do, being asked “do you know where you are?” by a doctor.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think MCM has hot the nail on the head. This guy wants a short cut to being a meaningful fighter again. Its a cheap way to get your name in the papers. I think Hughes should say no but instead fight other legends or vets. Dont let this clown use what you worked for for his gain. Tell him to earn it.

• I like the prospect of this fight. Matt Hughes would wipe the floor with Hardy as Hardy’s TDD sucks and obviously Matt can still wrestle after showin he can stuff a Kos takedown before gettin clipped and put away. Mat throws a hook, grabs a clinch gives us a patented Matt Hughes slam and then kimuras or rear naked chokes Dan Hardy into submission.
    What a fitting way to end the UFC career of Matt Hughes…and Dan Hardy.

• hindsightufuk says:

i think its pretty weak of dan hardy to call out a guy who cannot take a punch any more.
    i wouldnt like matt hughes chances, i think it would go similar to the koscheck fight. <att would look ok up to the first time dan clips him, then it will be lights out again

• moosebaby02 says:

I have no words to describe my discust hardy