Jon Fitch aiming for winner of Carlos Condit-Nick Diaz

There’s no question Jon Fitch’s recent accomplishments in MMA are on par with the two individuals fighting for the UFC’s interim welterweight belt at UFC 143, Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz. Fitch is 21-1-1 since 2003 with his only loss coming via decision to Georges St. Pierre and the other blemish involving a draw against B.J. Penn many felt should have gone his way. However, Fitch has been forced to watch both men pass him by due to both a shoulder injury and his sugar-free style of grinding opponents down rather than finishing them.

Fortunately, Fitch has a chance to put his name back near the top of the 170-pound pile this Friday night when he faces 11-1 wrestler Johny Hendricks at UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem. And, while he knows the interim champion will have first crack at St. Pierre when he returns in 2012, the former Purdue Boilermaker also thinks there could be a chance the man holding that title is him.

“The way I look at it, the winner of the interim belt, that’s like the golden ticket for me. You get to fight for that, and nobody can jump over the guy with the golden ticket. So if you hold that thing, you’re guaranteed that shot with GSP. That’s the way I’m looking at it, that’s the way I approach it, and that’s where the hunger comes from. You get that golden ticket and you get that ride to the chocolate factory,” Fitch joked in an interview with the UFC’s website.

St. Pierre is expected to be out until late summer if not fall meaning the necessity for Diaz/Condit to put the interim strap on the line could certainly be a plausible scenario given their bout’s date being in early February.

Before Fitch concerns himself with the possibility of sneaking into the mix he has Hendricks in front of him, an accomplished grappler with knockout power.

“He’s got a strong left hand, good clinchwork, he’s a good wrestler, good cardio, and he’s a good all-around fighter,” said Fitch of the 28-year old Oklahoman. “I think I excel in a lot of those elements and I think that my experience and ability to blend everything together is what’s gonna overwhelm him and win me the fight.”

And even if he has to wait a little longer than desired for a second crack at a UFC championship that’s okay with Fitch even though he feels he deserves the opportunity, knowing contendership is out of his control to a certain extent, adding, “All I can do is keep winning and keep racking up those Ws and start putting some people away again.”

Fitch-Hendricks will take place as part of the main PPV card with co-headlining clashes from Donald Cerrone-Nate Diaz and Brock Lesnar-Alistair Overeem.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Although I think Fitch has earned more title shots I am not going to stick up for such a negative fighter. Fitch could be great but he is a pussy. “A pussy”? You say, yes a pussy. He is not willing to risk giving up position or risk getting hit in order to finish. So Fitch, toughen up you pussy and you will be rewarded.

• edub says:

This sounds about right, if the UFC wants to put the winner of the interim title fight in with somebody before GSP gets back.

• climbarock says:

Logic…you’re a buffoon. Did you just call Fitch a pussy? Really? I fucking hate Fitch, hate hate hate watching him fight….but you’re not worthy of holding his jockstrap.

• Sykotick says:

Yeah, he is a pussy…. All he does is get into a cage and fight for his cash, while you sit behind a computer, but he is a pussy! Lol it don’t matter if he grinds his opponent out, it take a FUCKLOAD of skill to nullify your opponent. Something id love to see you try and do before you call anyone who steps into the ring/cage a pussy

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He is a pussy. He refuses to take risks. Why? Cuz HE IS A PUSSY. Most other fighters (not all) go into the cage and take risks in order to nullify their opponent via sub or ko. Fitch pussies out and takes as little risk as possible to hug and slap his opponent to points victories. But I dont have to explain it to you guys becuz the UFC not giving Jon “paint drying” Fitch title shots after an octagon record of 14-1 says it all.
    Sykotik if it takes skill to nullify your opponent, what does it take to sub or ko them? I say balls. Something Fitch is short of.
    Climbarock whats the matter? I thought I was allowed to say whatever I wanted? Maybe if you could debate what I said I would have a higher opinion of you but for now, I’ll just get you to hold my jockstrap. Whatever the fuk that is.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

4 1/2 years = the last time Fitch finished.

• Sykotick says:

Its not that it takes balls to finish, I think you’re missing it, it take balls to STEP IN to the cage. You find him boring, ok I respect that, its your opinion and you are entitled to it, but before you call him a pussy, train a bit, and you’ll have a brand new respect for what he does, its a thing of fuckin beauty watching the way Fitch makes some of the best fighters look like they belong on the local circuit. That’s all I’m sayin, learn a little before yappin. And I reiterate its easy to call someone a pussy from behind a computer

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Come on dude. He refuses to try to finish. Its not that he cant, he just wont try. He gets in the cage and takes as little risks as possible to win via points.
    Really it doesnt take that much to get in a cage. I may not be a trained MMA fighter but I have had fights before that were statistically 100s of times more risky than fighting under controlled sporting conditions. If I were to fight in the UFC I would not be in the slightest bit scared of my opponent but I would be scared of failure. These guys get paid tens of thousands for getting in the cage. I would be more scared flipping a motor cross bike.
    Fitch does not even try to finish. The only reasons I can think of are that he cant (yeah right) or he refuses to take that risk.

• Sykotick says:

Seriously now?? Fighting a tom dick or harry who’s drunk at a bar is FAR from fighting someone who is trained in combat, its the equivalent of going bullet for bullet with a “gangsta” or a marine, yeah they can both kill you, but odds are the trained warrior will kill you first or is more likely to kill you. Yeah he doesn’t finish a lot of fighters but the has got 10 times the balls you or I have. And absolutely everyone can sit and say “I could step in a cage” all I gotta say is prove it. I’ve been training in Goshin Jutsu, and Jiu Jutsu for 6 years and I couldn’t hop into the cage, and il be honest, its cuz I don’t have the balls to do it lol, just standing in front of the whole class for tests is crazy nerve wracking, I can’t imagine being in front of thousands of people and being broadcasted to millions. I digress, easy to SAY you could, harder to ACTUALLY do it.

• stone says:

Fitch is a bad muhfucker…. He doesn’t finish fights because that’s just not his skill… He’s not a striker & he’s not a submission expert. He’s a hardcore wrestler, so that’s what he does. Although at times it is boring as all hell, I could never just straight up call him a pussy. This dude will fight anyone they put in front of him and that’s just NOT very pussy-like

• THEGUNNER says:

Im pretty sure u wouldnt say that to fitch a pussy to his face so why say it at all. Even if u could beat a guy u dont have the right to call him a pussy!

• climbarock says:

Logic,

Yes, you are entitled to say what you want. And I’m entitled to call you a buffoon because what you said is fucking stupid. Do you know how foolish and juvenile you look when you call a man that fights in a cage for a living a pussy?

The fact that you don’t know what a jockstrap is shows what a keyboard warrior you are.

Jon Fitch doesn’t finish fights because he doesn’t have great finishing skills. Period. You don’t have to like him; I certainly don’t like him. Your criticism has gone over the top.

Have a good day.

• YetiLee says:

Fitch doesn’t need to finish as long as he keeps on winning. Seriously the guy has crazy skills, sure he takes his opponents down and holds them but he is using incredible strength to keep them in place. Not to mention the amount of talent and skill it takes to dominate in the manner in which he has. Sure he may not be the most exciting fighter to watch but his success speaks for itself.

Logic you claim he is a pussy for not taking risks? Everytime you step into the cage you’re taking an incredible risk, a risk that you yourself will never take but yet you still call him a pussy? The only problem you really seem to have is that Fitch keeps winning and implements a strategy that works incredible well for him and allows him to keep racking up the victories while taking minimal damage, which is the main goal of fighting. Maybe learn about mma a little before you continue to make incredibly stupid comments that make you look like a fool.

• Richard Stabone says:

I am also not a fan of Fitch and his grind-it-out tactics inside the cage that, while incredily effective, are completely uninspiring for the vast majority of spectators. MMA is a fast-growing sport trying to reach the level of the other mainstream professional sports… but Fitch’s style, for my money, is akin to the pre-shot clock days of the NBA when teams killed the clock to nurse a lead, or the early NFL days when the offensive approach was to hammer into the D-line and kick up a cloud of dust. Effective for a time, sure, but not gonna score high on the entertainment scale, which at the end of the day is what pro sports is all about.

To Fitch’s credit, his sustained success, with the rapid evolution of MMA happening around him, has been really impressive. I mean, his track record is nearly impeccable and speaks for itself. Obviously GSP’s more dynamic style & overall athleticism ran circles around Fitch, but GSP has done that to everybody, so no huge shame in that. It seems Fitch will still hang with–or beat–any WW not named GSP. Then again, I’m less sure of that now than I was a couple years ago; it’s time for him to get busy…

Fitch will turn 34 soon after the calendar flips to 2012, he’s got a ton of mileage on his body between his wrestling & MMA days (further compounded by his grueling style), and he hasn’t had his arm raised for well over a year. So his fight Friday, despite not being against a huge name, is crucial. If he loses (and to me this is about a 60/40 fight for Fitch) he’ll really be facing an uphill battle to get another crack at the title, but if he wins it’ll be virtually impossible to deny his opportunity for at least the interim belt like he’s been talking about lately.

So Friday’s fight has big implications, which makes it intriguing, but we just have to hope it doesn’t turn into yet another grind-fest decision.

Pussy, pussy, pussy!
    Come on in Pussy lovers!
    Here at the Titty Twister we’re slashing pussy in half!
    Give us an offer on our vast selection of pussy!
    This is a pussy blow out!
    Alright, we got white pussy, black pussy, spanish pussy, yellow pussy. We got hot pussy, cold pussy. We got wet pussy. We got smelly pussy. We got hairy pussy, bloody pussy. We got snapping pussy. We got silk pussy, velvet pussy, naugahyde pussy. We even got horse pussy, dog pussy, chicken pussy.
    C’mon, you want pussy, come on in Pussy Lovers!
    If we don’t got it, you don’t want it!
    Come on in Pussy lovers!
    Attention pussy shoppers!
    Take advantage of our penny pussy sale!
    If you buy one piece of pussy at the regular price, you get another piece of pussy of equal or lesser value for only a penny!
    Try and beat pussy for a penny!

If you can find cheaper pussy anywhere, fuck it!

• MCM says:

Let’s go ahead and take a look at the fights Fitch has had in the past 4 1/2 years.

B.J. Penn – Notoriously hard to finish, only finished twice in his career. But when you take 125 unanswered punches in one round, there is an argument the fight should have been stopped.

Thiago Alves – Hasn’t been finished in almost 5 years and only twice in his UFC career. Ironically enough, his last stoppage loss was to Fitch.

Ben Saunders – Had only been finished once in his entire career when they met. And that was to a known KO artist.

Mike Pierce – Never been finished

Paulo Thiago – Never been finished or beaten when they met.

Akihiro Gono – He could have finished Gono, (8 times in 55 fights), but he was coming off the biggest beatdown of his career just 5 short months earlier. Gono was also never finished in the UFC.

Georges St. Pierre - loss

Chris Wilson – had only been finished once in his career when they met and that was to one of the best submission fighters in the game, and not while in the UFC.

Diego Sanchez – Never been finished when they met, and never been finished at WW.

So his last 4/12 years of competition have been finished a total of 5 times in the UFC. Three of them had never seen defeat before going to the judges and one of them had never seen defeat period. All told they have a combined record of being finished 16 times in 188 fights. Ya, Jon Fitch is a Pussy.

just for the record i wasn’t agreeing that fitch is a pussy…. all that pussy talk just reminded me of cheech in dusk til dawn so i posted the quote from the movie… like it or not fitch is a contender and with all the brain trauma in the world of sports today your going to see alot more fighters point fighting like GSP and Fitch to prolong there careers and there mental health.

• MCM says:

I knew that was Cheech Marin, I just couldn’t remember the movie.
    Thumbs up Rece.

• thumbs up to rece for the speech from Dusk till Dawn…

Big Thumbs down to MMA Logic for calling one of the top 4 wws in the world a pussy. If this is the case I hope he calls GSP a pussy just as often.
    I sincerely hope Fitch pulls a finish out against Hendricks…its seriously a shame how Dana White and alot of fans bash Fitch for his style when aside from Anderson Silva he’s got the best record in the octagon. I think Fitch vs. either Diaz or Condit is a great fight as he would try to grind out two of the greatest and toughest finishers in the sport. I hope he gets it, and I hope he wins, and I hope he accidentally clips GSP in the chin and KOs him…then I hope he retires finially getting the respect he deserves