Gegard Mousasi interested in dropping to middleweight for fight with Anderson Silva

Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champ Gegard Mousasi continues to work his way back into contention for the title he lost. However, Mousasi also has his sights set on something else – the UFC.

Earlier this month, Mousasi downed rising prospect Ovince St. Preux at Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal to place his name among those looking to wear the Strikeforce 205-pound title now that it sits vacant.

As for his next fight, Mousasi was looking at competing on this coming weekends DREAM card in Japan only to see the bout fall through. Instead, he will await the winner of the January 7 bout between Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal and Lorenz Larkin, possibly setting up a rematch with Lawal as well as a potential title-fight.

“The thing now is that I’m going to wait until April and get a title shot against the winner of (Lawal-Larkin). That’s what I heard,” said Mousasi, in a recent interview with MMA Junkie. “I want to fight the big names, and the big names are in the UFC.”

Mousasi also talked about making the drop to middleweight for a shot at UFC champion Anderson Silva, adding, “You don’t get those chances a lot, so fighting a big name like him, that’s a big opportunity.”

For now, “The Dreamcatcher” will sit on the sidelines, working on his wrestling base if he does face Lawal again, and preparing himself for a future in either Strikeforce or the UFC.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

I’d like to see him and King mo fight for the vacant title if Mo wins his next fight… I’ll take Mousasi in the rematch… it just better be a better fight then the first one.

oh and Gegard don’t hold your breathe for that Silva match up… he has some options inside and outside his weight class.

• edub says:

How bout beat a contender or two before you talk about Anderson. This isn’t 2008, all your momentum from winning the MW GP is gone.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I literally bust out laughing when I saw the title of this post. Gegard must have a death wish. He wouldn’t crack the top 5 at Middleweight.

• Angry Mike says:

Never say never, but nothing about Mousasi’s recent fights suggests he’s ready for Silva. Neither his striking nor his ground game are up to it. Love him or hate, only Sonnen has given Silva a legitimate challenge, and Mousasi is light years behind Sonnen in wrestling.

• qat says:

He should be interested in winning fights against any ranked opponents first.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Are you guys fuking kidding. Name a fighter Anderson Silva has faced with the record and stand up of Gegard…NOBODY! This isnt Maia, Leben, Cote, Lutter, Irvin, Leites, Marquardt and all the other fighters that are flashes in the pan. Gegard has the standup to trouble Silva FOR SURE and Silva does not take fighters down often. I will pick Mousasi if the fight happens.
    When Silva was in his prime a couple of years ago I saw 6 guys that could beat him and they were Filho, Sonnen, Hendo Lombard, Souza and Mousasi. He faced 2 of them and they were the hardest fights he has had in the UFC. If you think Mousasi will not be a challenge for Silva your delusional.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

SF LHW champ, Dream LHW champ, Dream MW champ, multiple gp winner, victories over Lombard, Souza, Babalu, Hunt, Kang, Manhoef, O’Brien and others.
    To say he couldnt crack the top 5 is stupid he was #1 at MW for a while. And now you have Silva, Sonnen, Okami, Rockhold, Souza, Munuoz, Lombard and Belfort in the top 10 or so. I would back him to beat most of those guys.
    IMO this guy is at the same level Shogun is if not higher and very similar in skillset.

• Oh come on Logic REALLY?! He submitted Manhoef, he didnt KO him, Lombard is bad ass against all the nobodies he fights but we havent seen him fight a real SOLID MW in other than Schlemenko in a long time.
    If Gono can submit Mousasi Anderson would do the same with no problems whatsoever. No ONE No ONE has the stand up chops of the Spider and that’s just a cold hard fact. Dude does what he wants how he wants and as soon as he wants on the feet. Yes Chael beat him standing for the few moments the fight was standing in the first and then was floored by a single elbow in the 4th.

And I do tend to disagree with you but usually think your statements are intelligent and well thought out but calling the 7 time king of pancrase and debated number 2 middleweight in the world for multiple years (Nate the great) a flash in the pan is without a doubt a dumb statement.

• Dangerous says:

as good as Mousasi is, he would still probably end up on The Spider’s knockout highlight reel

• Lethal Liquid says:

Good ole Logic. I knew your far-fetched arguments would surface again. Mousasi is such an overrated fighter. You grading him based on how he has done against watered down competition. So yea he wouldn’t crack the top 5 at middleweight. Unless those five guys slipped and fell down some steps. Then and only then he would crack that glass ceiling

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Superdave dont you mean if Takase and Chonnen can sub Silva?
    Superdave Silva has fought 1 good striker at MW in the UFC and that was Belfort. Leben is not great Cote retired hurt, Franklin is another I suppose. Who else? What about great wrestlers? Sonnen and Hendo fair enough but he struggled against Sonnen and lost the first to Hendo. What about fighters that are not worthy of challenging for the title? Like Leben, Leites, Maia, Lutter, Cote and Irvin. Silva has faced a few of his top peers but also faced a lot of duds. Some of the guys Mousasi has faced would be huge tasks for Anderson. I think he would struggle against Hunt, Mo, Souza and Lombard but who knows? LL watered down? you mean like Cote, Lutter, Irvin, Leites, Leben watered down? No Im basing it on him being #1 at MW back in the day and beating guys like Sobral, Hunt, Souza, Lombard, Kang and being a very good striker. Whos top 5 MW? Silva and Sonnen would be big asks but then Marquardt, Okami, Munoz, Stann, Maia etc. He would breeze into the top 5. I know it is far fetched like when I was backing Diaz as a top 5 or when I said what? Dude whatever, I think saying Mousasi would only crack the top 5 if they fell down the stairs is more along the lines of far fetched.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I No Marquardt isnt a flash in the pan, hes a performance enhancing drug in the vein. Sorry my mistake. Nate aint so great.

• Richard Stabone says:

Mousasi could absolutely hang with the top UFC guys. I’m just not sure he’ll ever be able to do so on a consistent basis, cuz his immense talent doesn’t seem to be matched by his want-to. But the dude is just 26 years old, so I still like his chances to make some serious noise in the UFC.

Put him in the top org, against the top names, fighting for hefty $$, and I’d like to think those will be the right circumstances to bring out the best in Gegard. Not saying he deserves to be talking about Anderson Silva at this point, but he’s so ridiculously talented I give him a decent chance against any fighter. I just hope he can put it all together to eventually live up to the proverbial *potential* that so many other top-notch athletes fail to reach.