Junior dos Santos: “It’s going to be a stand-up battle.”

If you’re not excited about Junior dos Santos’ upcoming title-defense against freshly victorious top contender Alistair Overeem, you should be, as the belt-wearing Brazilian himself even admits a highly-entertaining affair is in store for fans when the two face off in 2012. “Cigano” weighed in on the upcoming clash shortly after Overeem liver-kicked Brock Lesnar into retirement this past Friday night at UFC 141, saying the kickboxer vs. boxer dynamic of the pairing should be particularly enjoyable for MMA enthusiasts.

“It’s going to be really, really good for the fans. Because he’s a striker, I’m a striker…it’s going to be a stand-up battle,” said Dos Santos in a conversation with USA Today.

Overeem has finished 34 of the 36 opponents he’s beaten while the 27-year old champ has done the same in twelve of fourteen wins. Adding to the intrigue, Dos Santos has won his last nine fights in comparison to Overeem’s eleven straight.

As far as Overeem’s performance against Lesnar, the humble heavyweight appeared impressed though was confused by Lesnar’s tentative approach to grappling.

“Brock seemed a little bit anxious to throw punches and kicks. That surprised me, because I thought he should have taken Alistair down and kept the fight on the ground,” explained Dos Santos.

No date is set for Overeem-Dos Santos though late spring-early summer is a realistic period for the clash to occur in. Dos Santos has expressed interest in the past in headlining a Brazilian card, and with the UFC having designs on a potential soccer stadium show in May he very well could get his wish.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Cigaaannnno! Hopefully this fight takes place sooner rather then later.

• Lord Faust says:

Seriously, I cannot wait for this. Finally, some real strikers — and heavyweights, no less!

• Creature says:

This is going to be epic, plain and simple.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Could last 5 secs but Im looking forward to it.
    I agree with Jr about Brock, why didnt he shoot more? Why didnt he strike more? I guess he just froze.
    I am guessing Overeem will have to cut to get to 265 next fight.
    Here is a question though, lets say Overeem takes out Jr, who is next?
    I would put the GP winner against him but will Dana put Barnett in for a title shot if he beats Cormier? Does Cormier have the name to be thrown in a UFC title fight?
    2012 HW dream Match ups are as follows if the Reem beats Jr and Barnett beats Cormier.
    Jr vs Kharitonov. Just cuz the fight would be so much fun.
    Barnett vs Overeem. Should be done if both end up champs.
    Valasquez vs Big Foot. Both coming off losses to each others camps.
    Del Rosario vs Meat Head. Battle of the up and commers.
    Cormier vs Carwin. Cuz I want to see Carwin look foolish or a great fight.
    Werdum vs Mir. Can Mir sub the 2 best BJJ HWs on earth?
    Nelson vs Rothwell 2. First one was entertaining.
    Kongo vs Hunt. Hunt will need to work on take down defense though.
    Browne vs Griggs. Is this fight already happening?
    Fedor vs a top 10 HW.
    Aleksander vs a UFC HW.
    Pigs flying.

• Niv says:

Well this without a doubt is the fight i was hoping for and it has the potential to be a great one.

I am a fan of both fighters and will be sad for whoever loses, but right now I’m leaning towards Overeem winning.

I was giving this some thought the other day and I think Logic touched on it, in my opinion the guy who stands the best chance at beating the Reem today and probably would is Josh Barnett, I wonder if the UFC is going to bring him in though?

Cormier as an unknown is probably the next big threat coming up the ranks and if he does win the SF tourney I would say give him the title shot.

Either way the HW division in the UFC has finally become a marquee weight class with a lot of talent and potential great match-ups.

By the way Logic in my opinion Werdum is the #1 BJJ HW in the world based off of his ADCC credentials, a fight with Frank Mir would be a perfect match-up for both.

• edub says:

Dos Santos will blast Reem in the first. Reem gets hit far too easily now, and his chin is still the same from his days in Japan. However, it should be fun while it lasts.

Niv- The UFC has already discussed bringing him (Barnett) in after the tourney’s end, so that seems like just an inevitablity now. Apparently all the past differences they have had were fixed.

The only thing I could see which would make the UFC cut ties with him is another failed test.

BTW: If you’re a wrestler, wrestle. This shit where you just stand in front of a guy much better striking than you, when you have the advantage either grappling or wrestling is starting to get really annoying.

• edub says:

Logic- Reem was at 263 in pants, belt, shoes, and socks. He’s been hovering between low 250’s and low 260’s for a while now.

• MCM says:

Great fight. Going with JDS.

If Overeem wins, the question of who’s next is pretty easy.
    Barnett is the obvious choice if he has the SF title, but when has any champ from another org come over and fought for the title without having a “tuneup” fight first? I guess Hendo, but everyone else had to get through at least one fighter. (Shields, Diaz, Condit, JImmo, Rampage, Santiago, Overeem, etc.)
    Mir is right at the top and could easily be placed into the #1 contender spot, but I don’t think Dana wants that.
    I think they’d give the shot to Cain. Sure he would have to beat someone else first, and he would only be one fight removed from a loss, but it’s the UFC!, it aint like that’s anything new. I think Dana would rather see Cain with the belt over Barnett or Mir or Mr.X simply cause they can sell Cain to casual fans easier than anyone else now that Brock is gone.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I dunno about Cain being an easy sell after his last outing. He needs a big win. Mir could sell with another win, I hate to say it but breaking arms is prolly good for your career. I know Dana and White are pretend buddies now but I just feel Dana would resist giving him a shot. I hope the gp winner gets the shot but I doubt it. Im picking…Mir to get it.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Dana and Josh not Dana and White.