Houston Alexander cited for misdemeanor child abuse after boxing son

It’s not uncommon for parents to spank their children when the kids have misbehaved. However, Houston Alexander has his own unique strategy when it comes to disciplining teenagers and it involves a lesson in the sweet science.

Alexander was ticketed last week for misdemeanor child abuse after police were called to his residence in Omaha, Nebraska to find his sixteen year old son with a “slightly bloody nose” and some internal pain. Upon further investigation it was revealed the 39-year old, a former UFC light heavyweight, had become upset with his son over some inappropriate activity on social networking outlet Facebook and demanded the two of them box as a result.

Essentially the charge indicates Alexander knowingly put his child, a minor, in a dangerous situation.

The 13-7 Alexander had strung together four straight victories including wins over Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and Razak Al-Hassan before suffering a knockout loss to Steve Bosse in October.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/MMA FIGHTPIT

• Angry Mike says:

I guess I’m supposed to be outraged or indignant, but I”m just not. If every 16 year old who sassed his dad got scuffed up a bit and learned to be polite and respectful, the world might be a better place.

• Lord Faust says:

• Lord Faust says:

“If every 16 year old who sassed his dad got scuffed up a bit and learned to be polite and respectful, the world might be a better place.”

• “If that worked, then maybe we could solve bullying by just letting their dads keep beating the shit out of them.”

Actually we could solve bullying for the most part by telling the kid being bullied to crack his oppressor in the fucking nose. It used to almost be a right of passage for a kid to square off with one of his parents at some point. Who knows the rest of the story…maybe his son got into his face and took a swing at Houston so Houston calmly told him that that’s not how they’d to business, put on his gloves and headgear and let’s scrap it out. We’ll never know because the media will only put the sensationalist side out.
    I dont believe a 16 year old should be in a full scale boxing match with his dad, but somethin makes me think that that kid has probably been in tougher sparring sessions that what he went through the other day and he probably got a couple bumps and bruises and he’ll be fine.

“Coming soon to an arena near you, Brett Rogers and Houston Alexander – The MMA event of 2012, NoRoadTooLow MMA Productions presents “Women and Children First”.

But I must commend you on this…that shits funny.

• Dufresne says:

Since we don’t know the specifics I’m not going to go one way or the other on my opinion of Houston. That said, punching a bully in the face isn’t always the best option. Trust me, I did that. I got lucky in my experiences with bullies, but I know a good friend who has a nice pair of scars on his leg and side from when he punched out a bully who came back later with a knife.
    And all that said, corporate punishment absolutely could clear up a lot of the problems society’s facing. I’m not advocating beating a child, but putting a kid in “time-out” does about as much to correct a severe disciplinary problem as using a colander to bail water in a sinking ship.

And Lord Faust, that’s probably the funniest thing I’ve read today.
    NoRoadTooLow MMA Productions presents “Women and Children First”.
    F*cking classic.

• MCM says:

This country is getting more and more pussy-fied every generation. It makes me sick to see something like this where a man that is known as a good father, is vilified for trying to discipline his son. Every year it seams like more kids get themselves knocked up or get some kind of STD and people scream at the top of their lungs “Where were the parents at?”. Well this parent is in the basement knocking some sense into his kid when he sees the warning signs. Good for him. I wish more parents were like this.

• Lord Faust says:

If you can’t get your son’s attention / respect without hitting him, you fucked up so far back that all the beatings in the world won’t undo it.

I don’t think Houston is evil incarnate for his actions, but a pro fighter boxing a 16 year old as a form of punishment is reckless as best and stupid at worst.

If anyone hits their kid it better be out of frustration / exasperation; otherwise it is “abuse”. Smacking someone around to “teach them a lesson” — which is never more than “I am bigger than you and can do this any time I want, so don’t make me mad — is the definition of abuse.

I have nothing against violence involving two consenting parties. A 16 year old can’t even legally sign a contract on their own. Agree or disagree, that’s my net worth minus 2¢.

• MCM says:

We don’t know what was said or the details of this situation. We don’t know how sexual misconduct online came to a father and son putting on boxing gloves and striking each other. All we know is that Houston Alexander came to the conclusion that the best way to teach his 16 year old son that what he was doing wrong was by boxing.
    The words “beating” and “abuse” get thrown around way too liberally when we hear that a kid was hit. I think everyone on this website (or any other covering this story) can understand that hitting is not always done in anger or is always abusive.
    Jens Pulver was a grown man when he knocked out a 16 year old Joe Stevenson. Was that abuse? No it was a sanctioned match. Houston is a grown man that gave his son “slightly bloody nose”, is that abuse? I say no, it’s just a lesson.

• MCM says:

for the record,
    I don’t hit my son as that’s not a good form of education for him. It wasn’t a good way to educate me either which is why I was never hit, but it was a good one for my brother. My parents knew enough about the difference in each child to know what worked best for us individually. I trust Houston knows his kids the same way.

• Lord Faust says:

I think the bigger issue is that we can’t really judge someone based off what the media reports. There’s a reason the media and juries don’t always reach the same conclusion; we don’t have all the facts.

• MCM says:

werd

• edub says:

MCM- I appreciate your opinion, and the thought that our country is getting soft. However, the following statement is a little troubling to me.

“All we know is that Houston Alexander came to the conclusion that the best way to teach his 16 year old son that what he was doing wrong was by boxing.
    Was it the same way everyone should handle the situation or the best way to handle it with every 16 year old? Absolutely not. But it’s a proactive response to a negative situation handled by the one person that is best equipped to know how to deal with or educate this particular child.”

Just a few things:

-A father should never come to the conclusion that the best discipline for their child is boxing with them. Boxing without discipline is something I can definitely get behind (involves toughness, thinking under pressure, and many other positive aspects of life). But using as a way to literally punish your child is criminal, and the correct punishment was given. The fact that he’s a professional fighter IMO adds on to his stupidity.

-I find it hard to believe that beating up your kid with boxing gloves is a “proactive response” to really any situation.

• “Just grab a switch or a belt, and beat his ass. It’s what I grew up with, and IMO I’m better for it.”

I’ll second that myself

• JBAR says:

At 16 years old nobody including my dad was taking a belt or switch to me. I was that kid that a good crack on the head was the only way to get my attention and I am glad my dad did because there is no telling how I might have ended up. These days my dad would be in jail and I would have joined him soon thereafter without him to keep me in line. Every kid is different, my brother was the complete opposite.

• adamsfamily says:

What greatly pleases me is that what (many) wankers would dismiss as a ‘cage fighting forum’ can hold a decent, candid and balnced discussion about this subject.
    Its why 5oz is the only one I read

• Lord Faust says:

Seconded. This is the only place I can be bothered to comment / read the comments.

• stone says:

This was the best blog in awhile….
    As long as Houston didn’t send the kid to the hospital for real (broken nose bridge, stitches, cracked orbital, concussion etc. etc.) I have no problem with it
    All I know is: If Houston Alexander was my pops, I would be walking a STRAIGHT line!