Thiago Silva free to return to the fight game after yearlong ban ends

Disgraced light heavyweight Thiago Silva is one step closer to making his return to the ring after his twelve-month suspension for steroid use ended on January 1, 2012. However, it is not as simple as signing a piece of paper or agreeing to face an opponent.

The 14-2 Silva will still need to reapply for a fight license after having his revoked due to a pair of failed tests related to his UFC 125 victory over Brandon Vera in 2011. The bout was later overturned to a No Contest when two separate urinalysis samples revealed a substance that was inconsistent with human urine. Along with facing the ban, Silva was also forced to forfeit part of his bonus money earned against Vera. He admitted to taking two prescription steroids before the Vera bout.

Silva came out shortly thereafter to admit he’d attempted to fool the commission after having PEDs injected into his back as a means of healing from an injury.

“I did so in an attempt to alter the results of the test and knowingly broke the rules of the Nevada Athletic Commission,” wrote Silva of his cheating in an emotional statement to media. “This was a terrible decision on my part for which I will be punished. I am prepared to accept this punishment, learn from it and move on. I apologize to the Commission, the UFC, Brandon Vera and the MMA fans.”

The 29-year-old Silva was on the cusp of competing for the UFC 205 pound title when he suffered a knockout loss to Lyoto Machida in 2009. It marked the first defeat of his career. Since that time, Silva has defeated Keith Jardine, lost a decision to Rashad Evans, and had the controversial clash with Vera.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

I hope he’s wised up. Although, if memory serves, there was a lot of doubt regarding the specifics.

• Dufresne says:

I can’t stand when a fighter gets popped for PEDs, but I hate it worse when a fighter doesn’t own up to their mistakes. Luckily Thiago showed some maturity and responsibility by coming clean. Too bad he didn’t show the same maturity and responsibility when it came to informing the commission about his injury and the treatments. It may have caused him to have to pull out of the bout with Vera, but having a dominant win turned into a NC, getting banned from the sport for a year, and having that kinda black mark on his record are a lot worse than delaying a fight.

• Lord Faust says:

The part I am trying to dig up is regarding the “back injections”. A competing site I won’t name has a series of articles from a doctor, and I seem to recall him mentioning that you don’t just go around shooting stuff in your back; so either he was not telling the truth, didn’t see a doctor, or was just using PEDs for the obvious reasons — to improve performance — as opposed to healing an injury.

• Dufresne says:

I can think of a few possibilities for the need to treat a back injury with injections, but I have to admit they’re not likely. The most probable thing I can think of is that they were injecting him with HGH and/or an anabolic steroid to speed up the healing process, and since it’s best to inject those into a large muscle mass maybe they decided to inject directly into the back muscles he supposedly hurt. But I’m not honestly sure if that’s the best way of doing it, so I could just be blowing smoke out of my ass.

• Jstew3785 says:

Alexander Gustaffson would be a great come back fight.

• Lord Faust says:

Agreed, I think that would be a great fight. Regardless of what he did, provided he’s on the up-and-up I am looking forward to seeing Thiago back in the cage.

• twodragunns says:

Thiago Silva is far from being a disgraced fighter, he had a back injury and family obligations that had to be handled. He’s a gr8 LHW and when healthy is a top level fighter and I’m looking forward to seeing him back in the cage soon.

• Creature says:

I heard he might be making his return at MW.. if true hes gonna be one huge MW thats for sure, and i think Brian Stann would be one hell of a comeback fight

• hindsightufuk says:

i’d like to see him fight Brandon Vera again, just to make it clear that the drugs made no difference.
    and this coming from someone who never wants to watch Brandon Vera fight