Cristiane Santos fails post-fight drug test, suspended for one year

It looks like Cristiane Santos will be on the shelf again, but this time it won’t be due to lack of competition. The California State Athletic Commission has suspended the Strikeforce womens featherweight champion after she tested positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol metabolites following her December 17 victory over Hiroko Yamanaka.

Along with having her fight license suspended for one year, “Cyborg” has been fined $2,500 and her bout with Yamanaka has been changed from a TKO victory to a No Contest.

“Our primary concern is for the health and safety of fighters,” said CSAC Executive Officer George Dodd. “Anabolic agents and other banned substances put not only the users of those agents at risk, but their opponents as well. The commission simply will not tolerate their use.”

Santos had been out of action for 17 months due to Strikeforce officials failing to find a suitable opponent for their champion. She made quick work of Yamanka on December 17, finishing her in just 16 seconds with a barrage of punches. The victory had marked Santos’s 11th straight victory in MMA, with nine coming by way of (T)KO.

She has the right to appeal the suspension.

*PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/ESTHER LIN

• Lord Faust says:

“Way to go, jackass.” –women’s MMA

The only recognisable female MMA champion is a cheater and is gone for a year. This really sucks.

• MickeyC says:

Lets keep it real. Is this a huge surprise to ANYONE? Not I.

• fanoftna33 says:

Very sad news for Ms. Santos but very good news for the 145 lb division as now some of the ladies can stop running away ( Rousey ) after calling out everybody.
    Hope to see Chris back better than ever in 1 year, we all know a lot of fighters have been in this boat and come back strong.

• Lord Faust says:

Not a huge shock, but I honestly believe she didn’t / doesn’t need them. That is the part that really irks me. People and their fuckin’ insecurities…

• JabCrossHook says:

LOL @ at this shit

I made a comment a year ago that she was on roids it was CLEARLY evident, huge jaw line, her upper body muscular structure was way too similar to a man’s.

But all i got was thumbs down and my comment edited to say that I was fighter bashing, all the physical symptoms are there, the reason why she didn’t get caught before is because she like other fighters go on cycles. If there was random olympic style blood testing during their camp and pre fight and post fight you’d be surprised how much of your favorite fighters would get caught. I have a few sneaking suspicions that one of the p4p greats is also on roids but if I say who I might get accused of fighter bashing…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“Its hard to get to this level without having used something”- Monson.
    Fighters busted.
    Baroni
    Big Foot
    Dewees
    Sonnen
    Santos
    any many more.
    PEDs are not uncommon. Marion Jones went for years under OLYPIC level testing and never failed a test until 06 and even then her B sample was clean. Fighters will use their entire careers and not fail a test and some will be those you most admire.

• Lord Faust says:

Not that I disagree with the sentiments, but it is a really murky discussion when it comes to PEDs and what constitutes a PED and a “supplement”. It’s too big to get into here, but the whole PED issue is a really, really, deep rabbit hole.

I don’t doubt that a lot of top athletes in all sports, MMA as well, have used things that would get them banned. Until someone is busted, I will accept that guys are clean — for fight night, anyway — but with a guarded reservation. (And, obviously, my own hunches.)

I don’t like random bashing of fighters because “they look like they’re on steroids”. When someone pisses hot though, fuck ‘em, throw them to the wolves.

I believe in guilty until proven innocent, but we need the commissions to wake up and a lot more money and research put into this. Otherwise it will continue to be a joke, because there is a lot of money behind PED production, that’s why it’s so rampant — and possible.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yes you must not point the finger at fighters like Overeem but I think its safe to assume that if MMA testing is far less strict than other sporting codes and athletes in those sports take for years and dont get caught, athletes in MMA elite are able to do the same. A big name fighter with conections and $ will be able to use and remain undetected. Do you not think it odd the amount of times B samples come back clean? I think there are those that study how to beat the tests and much like when a new copy protection for a DVD comes out, when new testing for PEDs comes out it has already been cracked by those with an interest in beating the test. This is without the strong possibility of corruption in officials and testers considered.
    I have often speculated on the very real possibility of Athletes in their chosen sport being too big to fail a test. What I mean by that is guys like Jordan or Lance Armstrong. Now those guys may not have ever used but if they did and were caught would the public ever know? I wonder. The damage to the brands and sport they rep may be far too great for those kind of Athletes to ever fail. Too much rides on them to be called a cheat.

• JabCrossHook says:

Faust, Cyborg power bombed tito ortiz in training, its not random fight bashing when all the indications are there. Its a evidence supported suspicion. With male fighters its obviously harder to tell but the main indication is that no female fighter has her muscular structure.

An extended jaw line and uncharacteristic muscle size in the upper body, especially lats, traps, and delts are all indications of a female athlete using PEDs.

• nothing_shank says:

The fact that she took the test while standing up was probably a good indicator that something wasn’t quite right with her sample. Her testosterone levels could probably match sonnens prior to the silva fight.

• MickeyC says:

well now aldo can breath easy, his title safe for at leat a yaer.haha

• Lord Faust says:

JabCrossHook, I don’t disagree signs weren there. But man, I’ve seen some scary butch women in my life and I don’t think they were on ‘roids. (Born the wrong gender maybe.)

I guess it depends on the level of discourse. I just haven’t got much of a capacity for mindless hate, but if it’s a well-reasoned posting with some good observations I would consider that different. Kind of like the difference between “hey, I think there is something going on here” and “OMFG CHEATER! FUCK THIS GUY!”

• Kamakosmo says:

“The fact that she took the test while standing up was probably a good indicator that something wasn’t quite right with her sample”

Hahahaha….gross….

• Kamakosmo says:

Honestly though…she is a very handsome woman.

• MCM says:

You guys see that documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster? It puts the whole PED thing in a new light. I’m still waiting to hear what Cyborg has to say for herself, but as it stands, I kinda feel….meh, about the whole thing.

• Lord Faust says:

Bigger, Faster, Stronger was awesome. Unfortunately the “brother with issues” was found dead in his car a few years ago.

• Sykotick says:

MCM, she said it wasn’t roids but a dietary supplement to help her cut weight

• nothing_shank says:

The OTC supplement excuse is getting old. Why wouldnt a professional athlete and his/her trainers try to verify what is in these products? I call BS when i keep hearing this same excuse. They know exactly what goes into their body when cutting weight.