Antonio Silva-Cain Velasquez rumored to rumble in April

A heavyweight war between Antonio Silva and Cain Velasquez is being linked to this coming April according to iconic heavyweight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. According to “Minotauro,” Silva was signed by the UFC after Zuffa decided to dismantle the Strikeforce heavyweight division.

Nogueira reported the bout in a weekly column he writes for a newspaper in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Velasquez dropped the UFC heavyweight crown to Junior dos Santos this past November via first round knockout, the first defeat of the Arizona State wrestling stand-out’s MMA career. Velasquez was fighting for the first time in several months after undergoing shoulder surgery.

Silva also just returned to training after undergoing shoulder surgery himself. The 16-3 “Bigfoot” last fought against Daniel Cormier, falling in the semifinals of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix, but had won three straight prior to the stumble including victories over Andrei Arlovski and Fedor Emelianenko.

Currently the only April event on the UFC’s schedule is set for Stockholm, Swden on 4/14 though it’s very likely more will be added as the month gets closer.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Bigfoot has a big chin and Cormier found that button to turn out his lights last time. Cain trains with Cormier and has more thunder in his fists.

Bad match up for Bigfoot if this is true.

I think this is a gimme for Cain to get back on track and at the same time get a win against a branded fighter… Not a nice welcome party for silva.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think you underestimate Big Foot. I think Cain should win but I give Big foot a 40% chance in this.

• trupert says:

Hmmm, so if Cain isn’t fighting Mir, can we assume that Mir will fight the Strikeforce HW winner for the #1 contender to fight JDS/Overeem winner? I’m ok with that. Then have Cormier/Barnett loser fight JDS/Overeem loser.

I guess the only other heavyweight matches to make would be:
    Carwin vs Big Nog when they both get healed up.
    Mitrione vs Del Rosario
    Devin Cole vs Sergei Kharitonov (if Sergei will fight for a lot less pay)
    Gabriel Jones vs Rob Broughton (if they are doing a Beltran vs Lavar Johnson, then might as well do this one)
    Am I leaving anyone out that doesn’t have a scheduled fight?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hey I love the sound of Barnett vs Mir. A great match up. Both can hold their own on the feet, both have excellent grappling. The are very even in skillset for mine, sure the skillset isnt the same exactly but if was to score both out of 100, both would sit around 80 Its hard to estimate what JDS would score becuz so much remains a mystery (wrestling, BJJ) but I would score Overeem the highest at HW with around 85. His chin and cardio let him down.

• Niv says:

I like this match-up and agree Big Foot is being sold short because Cormier stopped him.

Well I’m one that thinks Cormier appears to have heavier hands than Cain and is going to be a huge threat in the HW division.

The HW division now is without a doubt going to be the best it’s ever been in UFC history, and there’s going to be huge bragging rights to whoever hangs onto that belt for more than a couple defenses.

• MCM says:

%40?!! That’s the most I’ve ever seen anyone give Bigfoot on this website.
    And I agree completely. Bigfoot has always been underrated, and though I feel Cain should win, this fight is much closer than anyone will give him credit for.