Jon Jones changes directions, wants to fight again ASAP

After racking up four wins in 2011, including three in title-fights against former champions, it looked like UFC light heavyweight king Jon Jones was in store for a nice, long vacation from the Octagon in 2012 while Rashad Evans and Dan Henderson sorted out the contendership picture. While the proposal may have initially sounded nice to “Bones”, now that he’s had a month off it appears the dynamic 24-year old is itching to get back in the cage again as soon as possible.

Jones’ interest in defending his belt before mid-year came to light courtesy of Dana White on ESPN Radio where the UFC President referred to a recent conversation he’d had with 15-1 fighter.

“He called about four days ago and said ‘Okay let’s go, I’m done with vacation.’ He said he wanted to take all this time off and then they were calling me four days ago saying he wants to fight as soon as possible. He’s ready to go.”

As far as how the company will handle his request, White explained Dan Henderson was a likely option with Evans being in line to face the winner assuming he gets by Phil Davis on FOX later this month. That means Jones-Henderson would need to take place in March to avoid creating too large a gap between title-defenses.

Currently UFC 145 is scheduled for March 24 in Montreal, traditionally a MMA-friendly city, and lacks a main event. All other PPVs/major shows prior to then have headliners in place.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

Part of me thinks this is to mess with Rashad’s potential title shot, as far as scheduling goes.

• qat says:

or he wants to make dem $$ rather sooner than later

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think Hendo will be extremely dangerous for Jones. I’ll still back the greatest fighter to ever step in the ring but I also think Hendo is on the top 10 to ever do so and should be treared with the upmost respect.

• MCM says:

Rashad is more hated by the UFC than Fitch. But since he is technically booked, there is no one else but Henderson.

• Creature says:

I already have goosebumps, being a huge Hendo fan i cant wait for this match up. I think Hendo shocks the world with one thunderous right hand (: followed by Joe Rogan and Goldberg going ape shit

• MMA-LOGIC says:

If he does Creature that would mean has beaten 3 or more top 10s at MW and LHW including at least 2 #1s along with beating such HWs as Fedor and Big Nog along with being tourney champ in Pride, Rings and the UFC, been MW champ in Pride and LHW champ in Pride, SF and the UFC. This without mentioning his many other victories over legends and the sports elite. I think he has only ever lost to 1 fighter that wasnt top 5 and 3 of his 8 losses were to #1s.

• Lord Faust says:

Hendo is already easy Hall of Fame material. If he beats Jones I think there he is in contention for one of the all-time greats.

• Sykotick says:

Logic,
    If he beats Jones I know that will be a win over a #1 guy, who is the other??

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Wanderlei was #1 on a lot of lists wasnt he? I think he was but it may been chuck on the majority of lists still.

• Creature says:

Oh there no doubt Hendo is already a shoe in for the HOF, personally i already consider him one of the top 5 GOAT and if he beats Jones, that just pushes him further up the ladder

• Sykotick says:

Ahhh! How did I forget his fight with Wandy!!! Kinda ashamed of myself =\ haha

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Man I hope like hell if Hendo wins he fights A.Silva. I have wanted that rematch even before the first fight started. Truth is that Hendo is very dangerous for Silva. He has very good wrestling and a punch that would put a hole through a brick wall. All he has to do is connect once and its lights out.
    Just imagine the hype if Hendo beats Jones and calls out the Spider. If he was to beat Jones then Silva, would that make him a true contender for #1 GOAT?

• Lord Faust says:

If he does all that, forget contender, it’ll be a settled matter for generations.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Zuffa told Jones- Hey we got GSP on the shelf and Brock’s done… How about it Kid you wanna see if you can carry the PPV buy rates for the company this year? We’ll make it worth your while $$$!

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I think Hendo would be toughest test for Bones but, don’t think he wins. Think the reach and athletic ability of Jones would be the deciding factor.

I do think if anyone can take Jones the full five rounds it would be Hendo. If Bones treats Hendo like his past opponents and man handles him and makes it look easy then it would be hard to not put him at top of any P4P rankings.

• I think that this is the best case scenario. I dont think Rashad’s last 3 victories warranted him title shots (soundly coasting to two decisions while almost getting KTFO’d at the end due to slacking one over an ex champ which was still impressive and the other over a guy who’s so far off the map now its ridiculous.) and a win over a guy who’s won 1 fight since 06. If he beats Phil Davis and beat him convincingly then hell yeah give him a shot. Plus the hype of bad blood between he and JBJ can be dragged out forever and still be a great selling point.

Dan Henderson may very well be the GOAT but he doesnt have alot of time left and he does have the potential to give anyone including JBJ Anderson Silva and even most HWs a problem just due to his crushing power and overall toughness. If he loses its no big deal, Bones is that good and people can say Hendo is just past his prime a little(which I disagree with) If Hendo wins, well of course its cuz he’s one of if not the greatest fighter ever.

good job Zuffa, this has all the makings of a sick year for 205