Nate Marquardt parts ways with BAMMA after debut delayed again

It looks like former UFC middleweight Nate Marquardt is once again a free agent after deciding to split from British organization BAMMA even though he had yet to actually fight under the company’s banner. Marquardt’s decision was the result of his debut being pushed back for a second time after the organization recently decided to move BAMMA 9 from February 11 to March 24.

Marquardt, who was set to face Yoshiyuki Yoshida at the show, has not fought since March 2011 when he beat Dan Miller via decision at UFC 128. He was supposed to face Rick Story at welterweight a few months later at a UFC Live event but was unable to receive medical clearance due to an elevated testosterone level and was released from his contract shortly thereafter.

The situation with BAMMA is no doubt disappointing to Marquardt who expressed his excitement over fighting in the U.K. during a recent conversation with Five Ounces of Pain.

“The British fans have been very receptive to me,” explained Marquardt. “I think the fans over there are very passionate and one of the loudest crowds you’ll ever see…I went over there in August and was very well received.”

The 32-year old was also itching to fight again, likely adding to his frustration over BAMMA’s delay and prompting his decision to look for a greener pasture.

“I just want to fight the best in the world,” said Marquardt. “To me it doesn’t matter who it is, what organization it is, I just want to fight the best. There are a lot of guys out there who are top level fighters that I’m going to be able to fight and those are the guys I want to fight.”

No news has surfaced on what Marquardt may do next. He holds an overall record of 31-10-2 including past wins in the Octagon over respected adversaries such as Martin Kampmann, Demian Maia, and Rousimar Palhares.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

(Written with the assistance of Bryan Levick)

• MCM says:

I smell a Woodley / Marquardt SF title fight.

• Kamakosmo says:

““I just want to fight the best in the world,” said Marquardt”\

You had that shot till you blew it Nate.

• @ MCM, I agree, but the fact that Nate was fired over something that a certain other MW contender was caught doing, coupled with illegal activities and blatant disrespect for the fans the sport and his opponents and is now being commended for, is apalling. I think he should’ve just gotten a nice suspension and then another chance. If Nate would’ve floored Yoshida and then 2 other guys he would be back with Zuffa in no time.

• Kamakosmo says:

“a certain other MW contender was caught doing, coupled with illegal activities and blatant disrespect for the fans the sport and his opponents and is now being commended for…”

Who is “commending” Sonnen for the problems he’s had?

• Zuffas blatant ignoring and rewarding him with contender fights(and would’ve been a title fight had the spider not been shelved) is commending him, not punishing him. A slap on the wrist suspension and then suspension of his contract to let him sort out his legal issues is condoning his activities IMO. Yes he is the most marketable challenger to Silvas crown, yes he is the only man to make him look human, I dont deny any of that.
    But the organizations “look the other way” tactic is Bullshit. Nate put on many an exciting fight and always tried to finish his opponents. This is of course all just opinion, but I felt Nate did a lot less than Chael and is getting served a much harsher sentence over it.

• MCM says:

I understand your reasoning superdave, but your argument fails to recognize that Nate cost Zuffa a main event on less than two days notice. That’s the main reason he was dropped. Just like AJ getting dropped for missing weight by so much. Had the AJ/Vitor fight happened in the U.S., it never would have been allowed to go down and AJ would have been released just like Nate. The UFC has actually been pretty consistent with fighters dropping out just before being weighed in. Karo anyone?

I still think Nate should have been kept though.

• Richard Stabone says:

Yeah, with Zuffa it’s often not been as much the actual actions/transgressions of a fighter, but the resulting circumstances and predicament it puts Zuffa/UFC in. If you potentially harm the UFC (one of its cards, its overall image/brand, etc.) you’re going to be in their crosshairs. But if you just do something stupid on your own, and it doesn’t have a direct negative impact on the UFC, you’ve got a lot more wiggle room. I’d say Zuffa has been consistently inconsistent in that regard.

As far as Chael goes, I’ve mentioned this on here before but the best thing to happen to Mr. Sonnen was Anderson throwing up that late triangle to beat him. If Chael had won, only to be immediately stripped & suspended, thereby taking a crap on the UFC MW belt in the process, he would’ve been in a world of hurt with Zuffa. But as it turned out, Chael’s situation was able to be more or less swept under the rug (as it had no direct implications on a fight card or a UFC belt), and so once he was back in the saddle ranting & raving, with fans eating his stuff right up, Zuffa wasn’t gonna pass up the opportunity for huge $$ on account of some sort of moral stand.

• MCM says:

wow. For the first time, I totally agree with you Boner.