Georges St. Pierre doesn’t expect to be ready until late 2012

If all goes as planned, UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre is positive he’ll be back inside the Octagon before 2012 is over with…but barely.

St. Pierre, who was scheduled to meet Nick Diaz on February 4 to defend his title, underwent knee surgery roughly five weeks ago after tearing his ACL while preparing for Diaz.

The injury, which has been the most severe of the 30-year old’s career, was kind of a Catch-22 situation as the Canadian was putting more pressure on his right left after injuring his left in training for a bout with Carlos Condit late in 2011. Now, Diaz and Condit will meet for the interim UFC welterweight title with the winner likely facing off with GSP later in the year after an initial defense of the belt.

“Hard training will be in July, and I am looking to fight again, for the timing to be back, in November,” said St. Pierre while serving as a recent guest on Inside MMA . “Late October, early November would be good.”

“Rush” mentioned that he didn’t take enough time to rehab himself from the first injury, adding, “I tried to come back too fast and I was compensating with my other leg. That’s how I hurt myself.”

As for the upcoming Diaz-Condit bout that will crown a champion in his place, St. Pierre started out neutral before offering up his personal preference, saying, “I just hope the best man will win. But if the best man is Nick Diaz, I will appreciate it more, because it will be a better build up for a fight.”

When St. Pierre returns it will have been around 18 months since he last set foot in the Octagon, a concern for many who felt he would be back by late summer after news of his knee injury first broke.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Best of luck champ……dont get too comfy with that belt buddy.

• Richard Stabone says:

An 18+ month layoff is difficult enough, regardless of the circumstances. But considering it’s due to a major knee injury/surgery/rehab, which he feels resulted from compensating for his other injured knee, that figures to be an enormous mental hurdle to try to clear. Especially the first time out of the gates against someone like Condit or Diaz who won’t be waiting around for GSP to get comfortable again in the cage.

I’ll still pick George, but it’ll be interesting to see how he’s able to bounce back.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I say Diaz beats Condit much easier than many predict, gets the interim belt, makes one defense, and then shocks the majority by taking GSP to school.

GSP was a great champion but, many or most of his defenses were against opponents that were clearly not in his league. Not saying cans but, GSP just that much better that it looked easy.

Diaz will provide a challenge that he will not be able to overcome.

I say Diaz will hold WW belt until someone who can neutralize his striking with a better ground game comes along. That person is NOT GSP.

• Niv says:

I believe that Diaz will beat Condit and then will treat us to a great fight against GSP. However the reign of GSP is long from done.

GSP is going to beat up Diaz in a very tough fight, but at this point lay off or not I just don’t see anybody beating him yet, he’s just that good.

• Lord Faust says:

Same. I think Diaz wins a convincing war with Condit, but loses to GSP in a good fight. I think Diaz will definitely be GSP’s biggest test but I expect my fellow Canadian to persevere. Regardless, I expect it will be an awesome fight.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Jake Shields busted up GSP with strikes and made him tentative to get in close to punch.

Diaz will tear GSP up.

GSP looks good against wrestlers or bjj guys with average stand up or guys like Dan Hardy with lots of heart but,lacking ground game.

Diaz won’t be afraid of the ground game of GSP and has better hands.

Only sad we will have to wait all year to see it

• Lord Faust says:

You could argue that no one expected Shields to throw any punches, I’m sure it shocked GSP. Besides, Shields is a different animal than Diaz altogether. I see what you’re saying, but it’s still verging on the much-maligned “MMA math”.

Maybe GSP comes back pissed and finishes Diaz with 100 knees to his ribs, like he did Serra. Either way, I don’t think GSP -vs- Diaz can be boiled down to “one of these guys is just that much better”. No way; it’s going to be a close fight.

• Creature says:

Honestly i have Condit beating Nick here, I think both are skilled enough to nullify each others ground and clinch, and i think Condit uses superior movement and striking variety to slightly outpoint Diaz 48-47 in a FOTY candidate..

As for who i think would do better against GSP, I have to go with Condit just because Nick has shown to have a harder time with high level wrestlers in the past.

• MCM says:

thank you Creature. I too have Condit beating Nick. And Condit is a much tougher opponent for GSP than Diaz.

MHXX- you can say that GSP hasn’t fought great guys, but they were all much better than the scrubs Diaz has been fighting. (Yes, I said Scrubs). GSP also didn’t close the distance with Shields cause Jake is one of the most dangerous submission fighters on the planet, not because he was afraid of the stand up.

Diaz is a great gate keeper to the top 10, but even if he manages to get by Condit, Ellenberger or Hendrix will take him out pretty handily.

• Lord Faust says:

I think I should to immediately writing off Condit. It’s been too long since I’ve seen him fight; I need to watch some old fights.

It’s hard to discount the Diaz boys these days, given how good they’ve looked. I think I might be letting that blind my judgement. Man, I want to see this fight bad!

• Richard Stabone says:

I’ve also got Condit beating Diaz… I’m just anxious to see if he can manage to finish him as his nearly flawless track record would suggest.

Nick is a lot of fun to watch fight, but his complete willingness to stand in the pocket & trade is going to get him worked over by guys like Condit and Ellenberger.