UPDATE: Mark Munoz injured, Michael Bisping now fighting Chael Sonnen at UFC on FOX 2

Just over a week away, the UFC on FOX 2 co-main event has officially changed as Michael Bisping will replace Mark Munoz in his bout against Chael Sonnen as Munoz suffered an injury during training. The middleweight contest will determine the #1 contender to Anderson Silva and the 185 pound title. Demain Maia, who was originally scheduled to fight Bisping on the same card.

Dana White tweeted the news earlier today.

UPDATE: It has since been confirmed unbeaten grappler Chris Weidman will step up and fill in for Bisping against Maia.

Bisping will be looking to add to his four-fight win streak, which includes victories over Dan Miller, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Jorge Rivera, and Jason Miller. The British middleweight is 8-2 at 185, with his only two losses coming against MMA legends Wanderlei Silva and Dan Henderson.

Sonnen returned from a year long suspension due to a failed drug test following his UFC 117 bout for the middleweight strap this past October and made things look easy against Brian Stann, submitting him in the second round with an arm triangle. The Oregon native has won four of his last five bouts.

UFC on FOX 2 is scheduled for January 28 at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois. The night will be headlined by another #1 contenders bout as former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans will face the undefeated Phil Davis, with the winner earning a shot against current 205 king Jon Jones.

*PHOTO CREDIT – UFC*

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Bad match up for Bisping. Stann was a more dangerous match up for Sonnen than Bisping. Sonnen is a man possessed and will go for a double leg and proceed to pound Bisping out.

Bisping is a tough guy but he has never faced anyone with the ground game of Sonnen which is gonna be his downfall

• Dufresne says:

I guess the good news is that one of the guys I hate is going to get smashed.

• Creature says:

Im giving Bisping a .001% chance here.. this is just a horrible match up for him, I think he gets smashed almost as bad as he did by Hendo.. Almost. But im kinda mad these guys are fighting on short notice.. id have loved to listen to the build up trash talk between them ;)

• Lord Faust says:

I think Sonnen is a heavy, heavy favourite in this fight. That said, I would just love to see Bisping win with a really fast flash KO. Honestly, though, there’s little chance of that and I expect Sonnen to give Bisping wrestling lessons.

• MCM says:

Werd Creature. I wanted to hear the trash talk too.

Dana. Make Maia/Palhares happen!

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Bisping is able to take this fight, Sonnen is a great wrestler but so is Rashad Evans and Matt Hammil and neither one was able to do anything to Bisping on the ground and that was years ago, his TDD has gotten much better since. I see Bisping getting the decision here but if it was a 5 rounder Bisping would get the finish for sure.

• MCM says:

do you really thing Rashad or Hammils wrestling translated to MMA half as well as Sonnens?
    Bisping can fight, anyone that says otherwise is deluding themselves, and he’s a game opponent in this match. But I think Sonnen is just a bad matchup for him, just like he is for %95 of the MW division.

• Lord Faust says:

I agree with MCM here. If Bisping uses the same takedown defence he used in his last fight, i.e. starring at the ref and begging for a stand up, then he’s in for a bad, bad night.

• Richard Stabone says:

This should be a competitve fight. I don’t like either guy, but Bisping is underrated while Chael is overrated. Wish this was a 5 rounder, as I think there’s a good chance this one ends after 3 rounds as a close, unsatisfying decision.

• fanoftna33 says:

Rashads wrestling has helped him out tremendously, maybe not so much for Hammil. Also what will happen to Maia ( who must be part of that 5% because he made Sonnens wrestling look very bad as hHE took Sonnen down and out very quickly)

• MCM says:

Rashads wrestling has helped him out, but not nearly as much as Chaels.

I really wanna see Maia/Palhares (also one of the 5% IMO.) Since Rousimar didn’t take any damage in his last fight, I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to jump in as a quick replacement.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

holy smokes!!-I am excited to see Weidman take a huge step up in competition against Maia-Sonnen and Bisping still have plenty of time to talk ish, so brace yourselves

• Lord Faust says:

Palhares is a no go, according to his manager. Palhares has been training non-stop since the previous UFC in Brazil, plus ADCC.

• MCM says:

I like the Weidman/Maia fight. It’s a win/win/win for Weidman. If he loses, well he took on a top 10 fighter on extremely short notice so he’s not supposed to win, but at least he got some air time. If he loses but looks good his stock rises exponentially. If he wins, he’s all of a sudden in the the MW top 10.

• MickeyC says:

Kinda sucks, with the fight so close, Chael will not have alot of time to talk trash, but I’m sure he will find the time to squeeze some in.

• hindsightufuk says:

if the odds on Bisping are good i’ll be putting some money on him, interesting fight.

• LiverPunch says:

Yep Im picking Bisping via dec. If he is fit. His takedown defence is better than Silvas and Sonnen is a bad match up for Anderson Silva but an OK match up for Bisping. My only worry is the short notice. Was Bisping in camp anyway? Miller attemped 11 takedowns and got 1 in his fight with Bisping and it has been something Bisping has really made an effort at improving. No I disagree with the majority here, this is a bad match up for Sonnen.

• LiverPunch says:

Dont know where this “bad match up for 95% of the MW division” came from. He only wins about 70% of his fights so its prolly safe to say 95% is a little high. He is a bad match up for about 50%, a fair match up for about 25% and a good match up for 25%. Hes got ave striking, fairly basic sub ability and great wrestling.

• Kamakosmo says:

Is it me, or did the Advertising Department for 5 Ounces throw up all over this site?? Getting a little ridiculous LOL.

I agree, it kinda stinks that these guys won’t have the weeks to trash talk each other, as I’m sure some of it would have been epic.
    I give Bisping credit for stepping in/up and taking on Sonnen. I will say that I am rooting for Bisping (and I NEVER do) only to see him get a shot at Silva. And then 6 months from now watch him get thoroughly destroyed by Anderson.

• fanoftna33 says:

Palharis would be a horrible match up for Sonnen and I am glad he didnt take the Maia fight on short notice, IF the UFC ever matches them up I want to see them both at 100% because it could be awesome.

• MCM says:

welcome back LP.
    Yeah, Bisping was already training for his bout with Maia, so he’s definitely in shape.
    Bispings TD defense is good but it’s not like he takes on a ton of wrestlers. Out of the three real wrestlers he’s faced, (Hendo, Rashad, and Hammil) Hendo was the only one that didn’t take him down half a dozen times. And Sonnen has better TD’s than both Rashad and Hammil. I won’t be shocked to see Bisping get the dec, I just don’t think he will.

• Kamakosmo says:

And lets not forget, Hammil forgot he was a wrestler during his UFC career.

• fanoftna33 says:

Also lets not forget that Bisping has been training some serious Jiu Jitsu, he has stated he was training with guys like Lister and Shields, so he is ready to fight off his back and Sonnen cant really defend a submission.

• climbarock says:

Sonnen is ridiculously overrated because he was almost able to grind out Anderson. Almost. But the dude just isn’t that good. Very good wrestling, OK striking, ineffective Fitch-style GnP (high volume but no real hard, damaging shots), rudimentary submission game. He’s been beaten before

If Chael is a heavy favorite I’m putting money on Bisping.