Mo Lawal tests positive for steroids after win over Lorenz Larkin

The hits keep coming for embattled MMA promotion Strikeforce after the Nevada State Athletic Commission revealed former light heavyweight champ Muhammed Lawal had tested positive for Drostanolone, an anabolic steroid. Lawal’s result stemmed from his bout against previously unbeaten Lorenz Larkin earlier this month at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine.

According to NSAC executive Keith Kizer, while a specific sentence has not been imposed yet, it’s likely Lawal will face a 9-12 month suspension and be fined 30-50% of his purse (possibly more). It’s also probable his win over Larkin will be overturned and labeled as a “No Contest”.

Lawal is the second athlete on the roster to test positive for recent PED use with Cristiane Santos being the other. Santos was suspended for a year, fined $2500, and stripped of her featherweight title.

Particularly tricky for Lawal is the fact he will be a free agent in February as the bout against Larkin was the last on his Strikeforce contract. The fight was his second appearance in the ring since suffering a serious knee injury in 2010 that kept him out of action for a year.

No official comment on the situation has surfaced from Lawal, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, or UFC President Dana White as of this report.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I am only surprised that a lot more MMA fighters don’t test positive-the masking agents must be very good

• MCM says:

true dat, Gike.

• Lord Faust says:

Or they cycle correctly.

• Damn it, and I was just startin to like this guy

• fanoftna33 says:

I do like King Mo , and hopefully he owns up to it and doesnt give a bs answer like the Dr gave him the stuff to help him recover faster from the knee injury.

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah, that’s such BS.

“Yeah, I don’t know how this happened, but for some reason I tested positive for a substance that helps me recover from injuries and cut weight. WEIRD, MAN!”

• fitfreak says:

When he returns, it will probably be with a UFC contract.

• Probably…Mo has alot of potential….I still would love to see him and Feijao in the UFC. I think both could do well for themselves…and produce another great fight with each other.

• Dufresne says:

I wonder what Rampage has to say about this. I’m sure we’ll find out sooner rather than later.

• Guthookd says:

I have never liked Mo, and this doesn’t help.

I certainly hope they give him a year and the same fine Cyborg got.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

How stupid can you be? This was expected to be an easy fight the juice didn’t do anything for his wrestling game.

Without the juice he still likely gets a nice bonus and a pay increase for his next contract. Now his contract is up and he gets a year of forced vacation without pay and possibly not get a UFC contract.

Just not worth the risk. If he was some unknown guy getting first shot on tv against a big name I could see the reasoning.

Sad to see people with tons of promise and potential do stupid shit to derail their careers.

Mo has talent and charisma that would have played real well on tv and if he stayed clean could have turned it into several nice paydays.

• Lord Faust says:

When someone ignores the rules, I stop assuming intelligence is a faculty they rely on regularly.

You’re right, of all the times to juice, this fight was not it.

• MCM says:

If he does sign with the UFC, he’s gonna have to have a steroid test BEFORE he’s allowed to sign the contract. Dana said all new fighters are getting steroid pre-screenings as part of contract signings.

• MickeyC says:

He was on his way to the UFC. I figured he was done with SF after this contract. Dumbass

Fuck King Mo and his Cocky, self righteous attitude… He’s always berating fans, I hope they give him an earful in return… what a dick.