Michael Bisping: “I would have had to be a fool to turn it down.”

If you’re one of the many MMA fans wondering why Michael Bisping would risk his four-fight winning streak and spot on the contendership ladder by taking on an opponent with Chael Sonnen’s skill-set “The Count” has an answer for you – he had no other choice. No, his hand was not forced by his bosses at the UFC but rather by a sense of self-belief and appreciation for the opportunity he was given.

Bisping addressed the situation in a blog for FoxSports on Tuesday evening where he acknowledged the significant challenge in front of him with less than two weeks’ notice to prepare but also explained it’s a test he’s more than willing to take given the stakes.

Dana (White) hadn’t even finished saying Munoz was out before I was planning how to beat Sonnen in my head,” wrote the 32-year old Brit. “I’ve accepted fights on short notice for the UFC throughout my career, but this one is a massive, massive chance for me, and I am very grateful to Dana, (matchmaker) Joe Silva, and the UFC. I was already hugely grateful to be asked to fight on FOX, but to fight Chael on FOX … well, there are hundreds of fighters who would kill for this opportunity, and I would have had to be a fool to turn it down.”

The 22-3 Bisping made it clear he has no illusions about Sonnen’s talent in terms of takedowns and top control but has little concern for the 26-11-1 grappler’s abilities beyond those aspects of his game.

“Next week, I’m ready to go all guns blazing. A fight is a fight, and at this level anything can happen, but all things being equal, Chael Sonnen cannot knock me out. He can’t submit me, either,” Bisping began before bottom-lining the situation by adding, “The worst that is going to happen is that he will outpoint me and, if I don’t beat him, I didn’t deserve a title-shot against Anderson Silva anyway.”

Fans can catch Bisping-Sonnen scrap next weekend at UFC on FOX 2 at an event headlined by Rashad Evans meeting Phil Davis with a future date against 205-pound champion Jon Jones up for grabs. Bisping’s original opponent, Demian Maia, will now face unbeaten All-American wrestler Chris Weidman in his place.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Niv says:

I guess I’ll be rooting for the Count. I’ve never hated the guy as much as most, but I’d like to see Sonnen eat a little humble pie to say the least.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am rooting for Bisping big time here, and can you imagine what the trash talk would have been like if he didnt accept this fight?

• THEGUNNER says:

Ill be making an exeptiong and root for the count.i wish vitor couldve took this fight some how.

• Hohlraum says:

Bisping is going to get murdered. :/

Perhaps the arena roof will just collapse during the main event and do them both in…

• Planterz says:

I don’t know whom to root for. Or rather, root against. Do I want Bisping to win and dash Sonnen’s hopes of another title shot, or do I want Sonnen to win so he can get his ass whooped by Silva? I think I’d prefer the former, by a small margin, but I don’t think Bisping will beat Sonnen. Bisping has only fought a couple good wrestlers (Hendo and Hammil), and both chose to stand with him rather than take him down, which Sonnen won’t do.

I guess we could be blessed with a double KO, or a NC, and neither get the win and title shot.

• I do like this fight. Sonnen has one way to win and that’s to take Michael down and grind him out, which is very probable….but Bisping is very squirmy and good off of his back so maybe, just maybe he can catch Sonnen sleepin….both hold insane paces both have great cardio and both have good well rounded skill sets but their specialties are very well defined.
    Its also gonna be funny to see The Count be the fan favorite not in england for once.

• Lord Faust says:

This fight, from my fanboy perch, is the opposite of a a fight like Chuck -vs- Wandy. That fight, I didn’t want either guy to lose, so I was upset at the end. This fight, I just want to see a war — I don’t care who wins, as long as they look good.

We need Mean Gene Okerlund to hold the mic during Sonnen’s promos.

• MickeyC says:

I do not see Bisping doing any better than Stann did!

• Angry Mike says:

I think Sonnen’s hilarious, and Bisping is one of the biggest db’s in the UFC. It’s my fondest hope that Sonnen goes Hendo on Bisping’s ass/chin.