Bas Rutten backs Junior dos Santos in Alistair Overeem debate

In past years Bas Rutten has been an adamant supporter of fellow Dutchman, and current UFC heavyweight contender, Alistair Overeem. However, one area “El Guapo” doesn’t have Overeem’s back in has to do with his chances against divisional champion Junior dos Santos. Overeem and Dos Santos are set to fight this summer.

Rutten’s main source of contention when it comes to picking “The Demolition Man” has to due with the durability of his chin, an issue having been called into question before given Overeem’s six TKO losses.

The former UFC champ spoke about the match-up on a recent edition of Sherdog Radio where he explained, “I think Alistair, everything he does is one single shot because he knows he’s got that glass jaw as well. He’s been knocked out quite a few times in the past, even by Chuck Liddell as well.”

“Every time when he punches, one hand is up,” Rutten continued. “He throws single shots; he doesn’t throw combinations. You saw that when he fought (Fabricio)Werdum. Werdum was actually tagging him more than he did to Werdum. I think that Junior dos Santos, with his combinations, his reach, I think he’s going to tag him and he’s going to throw combos and I think that yeah, he’s going to take this fight.”

Dos Santos has stopped eleven of the fourteen opponents he’s beaten via strikes and is seen as one of the best boxers in the heavyweight division if not #1 in that regard. No date has been set for Dos Santos-Overeem though the bout has been rumored for June in Brazil.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Angry Mike says:

No way am I qualified to argue with El Guapo. But if Overeem gets Junior backing up and can land just one solid punch, Junior won’t recover. Junior has ko power, too, so either way I don’t think this one goes the distance.

• Richard Stabone says:

Reem hasn’t been KO’d in over 4 years. Between transforming his body & refining his striking game during his K-1 time, he’s become an absolute monster. I think he’ll beat JDS to capture the belt, and then I view him vs. Cain as a coin flip. Would love to see that fight happen.

You gotta respect a guy like Bas but sometimes the talk & speculation is just a little silly. So Overeem was KO’d “even by Chuck”… fighting at over 50 lbs lighter… in a fight that happened over 8 years ago. Cool.

• Guthookd says:

Fuck MMA, who is that blonde chick in the wrestling ad?

• Guthookd says:

On topic…..Reem fights in slow motion compared to JDS and he’s not going to get a chance to clinch. JDS via KO.

• Guthookd….Lilliian Garcia…first hot announcer of wrestling..

I agree with El Guapo…he’s got a point, the Reem throws single shots unless he’s got you on the run and Jr’s counter punching is second to none…..Either man could get the KO here, but I see Cigano with the advantage.

• JabCrossHook says:

Overeem has struggled with good boxers in the past. For example Tyrone Spong (who IMO beat Overeem) who hurt him with a jab and had him backing up. Badr Hari who in their second fight didn’t allow Overeem to land one significant strike and dropped him with a beautiful thee punch combo. In MMA he was KOed by Sergei and Chuck on the feet.

He was KOed in K1 after he was bulked up him gaining more muscle doesn’t mean he still doesn’t have a glass jaw. Also I think his cardio is questionable while Junior has shown that he can go 3 solid rounds of throwing combos. Overeem looked gassed against Werdum.

• MCM says:

I’m gonna have to disagree with the “glass jaw” comment. Sure Reem has been rocked and dropped, but that was against guys that are known for KOing fighters. Thankfully, JDS is also known for KOing dudes, that’s why he’s gonna win. But Overeem can still hang with just about everyone else in the division and not get KO’d every time he gets clipped.

• LiverPunch says:

Yeah Alistair has struggled against guys with good hands like Kharitonov, Vovchaychan, Belfort, Hunt, Spong, Hari, Aerts and Hunt. Oh wait HE BEAT THEM! Give me a break. Jr hasnt fought any top Strikers. I wonder if El Guapo has changed his tune because Overeem has changed his camp. He said he was the best in the world until he left Golden Glory and now he has changed his mind? My opinion is that Overeem has fought better strikers than Jr and won in stand up fights and this fight is an MMA fight where his opponent will have to also worry about clinching and takedowns. I wonder if Alistair previous K1 victims are thinking “DAMN! I should have thought of throwing a combo”. I think it is possible for Jr to win this and I give him a good chance to do it but only 40%. Unless Jr is going to clinch with Alistair I cant see Alistair gassing in a stand up fight or the fight lasting that long. My prediction is Overeem via TKO rd 1.

• LiverPunch says:

“Badr Hari who in their second fight didn’t allow Overeem to land one significant strike and dropped him with a beautiful thee punch combo.”

Not in the fight I saw. He connected with a one shot overhand right and followed up with another as Overeem went down.
    I agree with MCM, his jaw is not that bad. Kharitonov tagged him about 5 times and I think that was stopped a little early. Chuck Lidell smashed him with a big overhand and Shoguns punch when Alistair was on his back nearly put a hole through the canvas with the back of the Reems head.

• JabCrossHook says:

Liver Punch watch the slow mo it was a right cross, right hook, left uppercut on Alistair’s way down. It just happened so quick only people that train have an eye to spot it. It still doesn’t change the fact that he was boxing up Alistair the whole fight and Alistair couldn’t do anything in return. When Hari was actually ready to fight and not recovering from a K1 Grand Prix 2 weeks before Alistair had nothing for him. But in the first fight it was actually back and forth before Alistair caught Badr with the knee and hook, which was an awesome combo.

LiverPunch, how was it stopped a little early? Alistair was running away from Sergei and then he got rocked in the side of the head, he fell over into the ropes lifeless….

• fanoftna33 says:

Superdave, I think Lillian is still the only hot wrestling announcer out there.

• LiverPunch says:

He wasnt lifeless thats why. From what I can recall the ref stopped as Overeem fell but Overeem was still OK (able to fight) imo. He wasnt out.

• Sykotick says:

Just adding my 2 cents, he was limp, not premature at all, good stoppage, and might I add, Sergei looked REALLY gassed 2 minutes in,

• LiverPunch says:

SykotikI just watched that video and he wasnt limp. He fall through the ropes and holds himself up with his arms. Limp means limp, not actively breaking your fall.