Mike Kyle vs. Gegard Mousasi tapped as “Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey” co-main event

It might be happening a year later than expected, but Mike Kyle is set to square off with Gegard Mousasi once again. The light heavyweight battle, which could determine who fights next for the vacant Strikeforce 205 strap, will take place in Columbus, Ohio and serve as the co-headliner for the Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey event.

News of the bout was confirmed by Kyle on his Twitter account.

Kyle spent the majority of 2011 on the sidelines nursing a broken hand, but he returned in September to defeat Marcos Rogerio de Lima by unanimous decision. Since dropping to light heavyweight in 2009, “Mac” has won the King of the Cage and XMMA light heavyweight belts and defeated former Strikeforce 205 champion Rafael Cavalcante. In 10 bouts since 2009, the only time Kyle has suffered defeat was at the hands of Fabricio Werdum and Antonio Silva, which were both contested at heavyweight.

When Kyle was just moving to 205, Mousasi was ruling the division in Strikeforce, having captured the title from then champion Renato Sobral. After losing the belt to Muhammad Lawal in April 2010, “The Dreamcatcher” has gone 4-0-1 in the fight fights since, winning the DREAM light heavyweight championship in the process. His most recent victory came this past December when he defeated Ovince St. Preux by unanimous decision.

Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey is scheduled for March 3 at the Nationwide Area in Columbus, Ohio. The night will be headlined by a women’s bantamweight title fight between champion Miesha Tate and top contender Ronda Rousey.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• fanoftna33 says:

This should be a great battle, Kyle has some serious power and much better wrestling that Gegard, but Gegard has the submission advantage and better kicke and probably a edge technically striking. Cant wait for this event.

• Angry Mike says:

Interesting fight for Mousasi. If he wins, it’s what most people expect. If he loses, it’s an upset. IMO, no real upside for Mousasi except as a step towards the title, and that’s less meaningful now that Strikeforce is owned by Zuffa and probably on it’s way out as an org.

• MCM says:

I’m going with Kyle for the win. Gegard is a good fighter but a little inflated IMO based on lack of talent in SF. Don’t get me wrong, I think Mousasi would do just fine in the UFC, but I never saw him as a top 10 talent like a lot of others did. I see Kyle rocking Gegard and finishing by TKO in the 2nd.

• LiverPunch says:

I think thats wishful thinking MCM. Dont get me wrong, this will be very dangerous for him but he is a better striker than all of the UFC LHWs apart from 2 or 3 and in a stand up fight with those guys it would be interesting. Mousassi has never lost via TKO/KO ever and has dominated every fight he has fought on the feet and that is whete I expect this fight to be. Imo he is a top 10. I struggle to name 10 fighter better than him and imo he would be a very difficult fight for top 5 guys Rampage and Shogun. Id rank him around 6 with a strong possibility of going higher. His big weakness in the past has been takedowns and as we saw against Jardine and OSP, it is very difficult to take him down, keep him down or do anything to him when you get him there now. I predict he will fight Jones for the title in 2013.

• MCM says:

“I think thats wishful thinking MCM”- LP

damn right.

I’ve got nothing against Mousasi, I just wanna see Kyle win. (don’t know why)

• LiverPunch says:

You might get that wish.
    The guy hits hard and I see this staying on the feet unless Mousasi takes it down, which wont happen surely. Edge of the seat fight.