Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller matched at third UFC on FOX event

With UFC on FOX 2 this weekend, the organization felt now would be the perfect time to announce the third event on the network along with the first fight on the card. In what is sure to be a fan-pleasing scrap, lightweights Jim Miller and Nate Diaz are set to throw down on May 5 when the octagon invades the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

The bout, along with the date and venue, were announced by UFC president Dana White on his Twitter account.

Miller was just in action this past Friday when he submitted Melvin Guillard in the main event of the first ever UFC on FX show. The win got Miller back on track after he dropped a unanimous decision to current top lightweight contender Ben Henderson last August. The New Jersey native has won eight of his last nine bouts, which includes victories over Charles Oliveira, Mark Bocek, Gleison Tibau, Josh Neer, and Mac Danzig. Miller has only lost three times in 24 professional bouts, all by way of decision.

After struggling in the UFC welterweight division, Diaz dropped back down to 155 this past September and turned in one of the best performances of his career, submitting Takanori Gomi in the first round of their UFC 135 contest. The younger Diaz brother followed that up with a unanimous decision win over Donald Cerrone in a war that earned the pair Fight of the Night honors, which was his eighth event bonus in 14 UFC bouts.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Angry Mike says:

Another great fight for free. I wonder how the network numbers are for the Fox events. As a MMA fan, I hope they’re huge.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is a very tough match up for both guys, Diaz cant be stopped but he can be out wrestled, and Miller is good enough on the ground to be able to handle Diaz’s subs and give him trouble right back. Standing Diaz is at the advantage with his reach for sure. Close fight but if Miller comes in just to outwrestle Diaz he probably wins here.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I believe the said UFC on FOX brought in 9+ million viewers.

• MCM says:

I agree fanoftna33.
    Nate’s striking has really improved since his last run in the LW division, but his wrestling defense is the same as when he fought Guida. I think it’s gonna be a pretty close fight as Diaz is bound to land a few hard shots on Miller, but I see Jim taking it in a split dec.

• Angry Mike says:

Diaz’s win over Cerrone impressed me. I don’t think Miller will be able to stand and trade with him. If Miller can’t take Diaz down, Miller is in for a long, hard night. I don’t underestimate Miller’s toughness, but I think Diaz wins by decision and possibly gets a stop from cumulative damage from strikes.

Tough fight for both guys but as much as I hate to say it I gotta go with Diaz…

• AWESOME! I was just talkin to someone about how these two are the best next match for each other. Both have great bjj, and cardio, Miller has way better wrestling and Nate has way better striking. Im goin with Nate based on the fact that he dealt fairly well with Dong Hyun Kim who is a bigger and better grappler than Miller.

Decision for sure though…neither of these guys can be finished.