twitter google

Rafael Cavalcante says he was supposed to fight Mo Lawal for the title

Another angle has surfaced pertaining to Strikeforce light heavyweight Muhammed Lawal failing a drug test after an outing earlier this month, as it appears “King Mo” was being targeted to take on Rafael Cavalcante on March 3 as the main event of a card in Columbus, Ohio. The two fought before in 2010 where “Feijao” came away with Lawal’s divisional title after stopping him with strikes in the third round of their bout.

Though Strikeforce was never able to enact their plan due to Lawal’s licensing limbo, Cavalcante recently revealed how things were playing out behind the scenes while also expressing disappointment in his adversary’s actions.

“I was surprised that an athlete at his level was caught doing steroids,” the 11-3 Brazilian explained while speaking to TATAME.

“It wasn’t official yet, but that was the talk, but he was caught using steroids and things got complicated…Now he was caught and I don’t know what happens next,” concluded Cavalcante while voicing some frustration about the complication Lawal’s drug test created.

Lawal has denied knowingly using steroids but admitted to taking an over-the-counter supplement that has since been taken off the market based on the presence of Drostanolone in it (the very drug Lawal tested positive for).

Interestingly, Strikeforce did announce a fight between top 205ers Gegard Mousasi and Mike Kyle for the very event Cavalcante stated he was supposed to fight at. However, their bout is not for the championship as Cavalcante implies his match-up with Lawal would have been.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

6 COMMENTS
  • Rece Rock says:

    I dislike Mo, so this makes me smile… Kharma Mo… KHARMA!
    Be humble and stop talking shit about the fans… they are the consumers that keep your livlihood flourishing… see you in 9 – 12 months.. sucka.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • fanoftna33 says:

    I dont get how Rafael is still in Strike Force, he could do big things in the UFC.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • LiverPunch says:

    A lot of it is because they cant leave Fanof. Its all agreements and contracts with Showtime, ZUFFA and all that rubbish. Cavalcante, Mousasi, Kyle and Mo would be a massive shot in the arm for the UFCs LHW division. Matchups like Mo vs Rashad, Cavalcante vs T.Silva, Kyle vs Rampage, Mousassi vs Shogun would all be really interesting but as it is we are all left kinda waiting for SF to close.
    I think the winner of Kyle vs Mousassi will fight the winner of Cavalcante vs ??? for the title.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • MCM says:

    Are all those guys tied up with Showtime contracts? I know Gilbert and Rockhold had to stay as part of the new Showtime deal, but I didn’t hear anything about any other fighters.

    The UFC LHW division could use a shot in the arm too.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • LiverPunch says:

    I think Mo said he couldnt leave didnt he?
    Actually Im guessing but I assume that is the case but then again If Diaz and Hendo were still there I would have assumed that about them too.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • trupert says:

    I agree, Calvacante should still fight on March3rd (more because he hasn’t fought since 9/10/11) and then fight Mousasi/Kyle winner for the title, but who should/could he fight? Top Strikeforce LHWs are: Gracie, Lima, St. Preux, Mehman and Villante……I left out Lorenz Larkin sine I’m hoping he drops a weight class. Hmmm, 1st three are coming off loses and last two, I’m not sure have done enough to fight Rafael just yet.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ