Phil Davis: “He’s not as good as he thinks he is, and I am better than he thinks I am.”

Undefeated light heavyweight prospect Phil Davis could vault himself into title contention this Saturday night when he meets Rashad Evans in the main event of UFC on FOX 2. While some may feel like all of this is too much for “Mr. Wonderful” to fully grasp, the former Penn State University wrestling standout believes he will be able to handle the pressure quite well.

Davis, who is 9-0 in his MMA career, will face his stiffest challenge in Evans, a former UFC light heavyweight champ that has held the title of #1 contender for well over a year.

“Yes, I have only nine proper MMA fights, but the inexperience thing isn’t an issue,” said Davis, during a recent press conference promoting UFC on FOX 2. “I am less experienced than every single guy I’ve faced, and I am unbeaten.”

As far as Davis is concerned, he is as experienced as any other fighter in one key area: winning. “I am experienced at winning, and that’s what really matters, and I ‘m going to experience winning again on FOX.”

The war of words between Davis and “Suga” has been interesting to say the least, as Evans is also a former college wrestling standout at Michigan State University – a Big Ten rival of Penn State’s. When the final bell sounds Saturday night in Chicago, the two may have respect for each other, but until that time, it is all hatred.

“He’s delusional. If he things he’s going to out-wrestle or intimidate me, he’s in for a shock Saturday night,” Davis said. “He’s not as good as he things he is, and I am better than he thinks I am. He thinks he’s a better wrestler than me, crazy. I would beat him 100 times out of 100. He was something like .500 in won/losses in wrestling. I was a champion; he just competed.”

See how things play out Saturday night when the show starts at 8:00 PM EST on FOX. Other bouts on the main card include Demian Maia vs. Chris Weidman and Michael Bisping vs. Chael Sonnen.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

Im gunnin for davis i think injury kept him from showing what hes got.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I like Davis but, I hope Rashad wins so he will quit whining about facing Jon Jones.

• I want Phil to win so Rashad can no longer complain about takin on Bones…….but after lookin how Rashad was against Tito and how shredded and lean he’s been lookin lately I think Mr. Wonderful might be in for a really long night.

• Lord Faust says:

Rashad is good at winning fights no one wants to see him win. He’s a smart man, and he’s got to be pissed off. Davis has a real chance to win this, but I think Rashad’s going to take this.

• JabCrossHook says:

Phil has a point about rashad’s wrestling record BUT collegiate wrestling and MMA wrestling are two entirely different things. I think that Rashad wins by KO on the feet as both fighters’ ground games will cancel each other out and Rashad’s hands are a level above Phil davis.

Rashad is a pretty good MMA wrestler and he’s proven himself in big fights something Phil has not.

• Screenplaya says:

I think Rashad will surprise Davis with his explosiveness. Being new still, Davis has relied on his athleticism, and it probably won’t be enough against Suga.

I like both guys. Maybe if Rashad wins, Davis can fight Hendo for #1.

• climbarock says:

Davis via submission. Guillotine or D’arce or arm triangle…something like that. You heard it here first, folks!