Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans official for UFC 145 in Atlanta

Shortly after UFC went live on FOX last night, company officials confirmed that UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones would make his third title defense on April 21. Less than two hours later, Jones’s opponent became official when Rashad Evans defeated Phil Davis in the main event of UFC on FOX. While Evans wasn’t spectacular in his victory over Davis, he managed to shut out “Mr. Wonderful” on the scorecards and set up the highly anticipated showdown between former friends and training partners, which is set to go down in Atlanta at UFC 145.

It’s been a long road back to the title for Evans, who was originally scheduled to fight for the belt after defeating Quinton Jackson back in May 2010. However, due to injuries suffered by him and then champion Mauricio Rua, “Suga” has had to defeat Tito Ortiz and Davis before being able to secure another shot at the gold. Now he returns to Atlanta, where his road to superstardom began when he knocked out UFC hall of famer Chuck Liddell with a highlight reel overhand at UFC 88.

When Evans went down with an injury, it was Jones who stepped up to face Rua in March 2011. “Bones” dominated “Shogun” en route to a third round stoppage and became the youngest fighter ever to hold UFC gold. Jones defended his title twice in 2011, stopping former champions “Rampage” Jackson and Lyoto Machida by submission and cementing his status as one of the best fighters in the sport.

Ever since Jones took the place of Evans and capture the title, the two have engaged war of words. Both men trained together under the guidance of Greg Jackson, but Rashad left the camp shortly after Jones became champion, feeling disrespected by the new 205 pound king. The two men will finally settle their differences later this year in a five round fight that is sure to produce fireworks.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

I have been harping it since this fight was first announced…Rashad Evans will be the only person to take the belt away Jon Jones. No one wants to believe it and will try to point out last nights fight as an excuse as to why he won’t beat Jones, but none of that matters. Come April 21, Rashad is gonna prove to the world that no one is invincible and that he is the best 205er on the planet.

• Lord Faust says:

While I disagree, I don’t think your forecast is remotely crazy or implausible. I think Jon will take the W, but it’s not going to be easy.

• Niv says:

MCM, I completely agree that no one is invincible and Jones will face defeat one day, I just don’t see anything compelling about Rashad’s win that says he’s the one to do it.

I think Evans is going to get finished by Jones, but again no one is invincible.

• Rich S. says:

I’m with you, Faust.

I do think Rashad has a great chance. He’s probably the most athletic guy Jones has faced, and he’s up there on power and speed. He’s also the best wrestler Jones has faced, but Jones has made great wrestlers look like amateurs in the past.

I wonder about Rashad’s confidence going into the fight, and his confidence after he’s taken a few hard body and leg kicks.

I think Jones takes it.

• moosebaby02 says:

There is no way Evans beats Jones.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Rashad will be juking and jiving and get caught over and over.

He likes to jump in and around and not get hit. He is giving up a foot of reach and five inches in height and just don’t see how he wins.

Jones is gonna take Rashad to school and finish him before end of 4th

• stone says:

Rashad gots a snowball’s chance in hell, beating Jon Bones Jones… Being that this fight is personal, I wouldn’t be the least bit suprised to see Bones finish him up in the 1st rd!

• MCM says:

“Of course everyone who is giving this to Evans also said the same thing about Machida and Rampage before that and that was before Shogun was gonna KO him due to Jones not being ready.”

I hope that’s not directed at me MHXX? I never thought any of them had a chance and have been saying that Rashad was the only fighter that was gonna beat Jones.

I see ya’ll saying Rashad is gonna get finished or that Jones is gonna mop the floor with him, and although I don’t deny that as a possibility, I’ve been on record for almost a year touting Evans > Jones. I went 8-2 last night so I’m feeling uncharacteristically arrogant, so I’m willing to make some sort of internet bet with whomever wants it. We don’t have signatures on this site, but so I’m willing to bet a “sign off” of the winners choosing at the end of every post for a 1 month period.

who’s in?

• Lord Faust says:

I’ll admit, I thought Machida was going to be “the guy”. I was wrong. If nothing else, MCM, you’re making me want to see this fight like NOW.

I think JJ’s first loss will be in a rematch with Machida… Just sayin’.

I’m pulling for Rashad and I’m hoping MCM is right BUT I just don’t see Evans getting inside on JJ… but if there is anyone that knows his faults or how to get inside on JJ it would be Evans but by now who knows how much JJ has changed since they used to spar & train together. I really hope Evans can expose JJ a bit and get the win, but it’s a long shot imo.