Matt Hughes expresses interest in fighting at least one more time

The MMA world has an answer from on-the fence welterweight Matt Hughes regarding the former UFC champion’s future in the Octagon. The 38-year old had weighed retirement after being knocked out in the opening round of his last two fights, the most recent instance coming in September against Josh Koscheck who put him away with a single second remaining in the first frame.

However, struggles aside, it looks like Hughes will indeed be back inside the Octagon at some point in 2012 after deciding to give it a go at least one more time.

Hughes’ announced his intent last weekend on Fuel TV during the network’s coverage of UFC on FOX 2.

“My wife’s a great lady, but she’s not going to tell me when Matt Hughes retires,” Hughes explained while saying the final say would ultimately be come from UFC President Dana White.

Hughes continued on to say he wasn’t targeting anyone specifically though British striker Dan Hardy has expressed an interest in fighting Hughes and the two have exchanged barbs online.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

If I was Hughes I wouldn’t take the Hardy fight… fuck him. Let him hang on to his career elsewhere Hughes doesn’t have to be anybody’s life preserver.

Paging Matt Serra…

2 guys nothing to lose nothing to prove… rematch a pretty close Fight of the night UD loss for Serra.

Give both these guys a reason to come out of hibernation.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I think the Hardy fight would be good for him in the sense he could take him down and pound on him for fifteen minutes (rather than fear the one-punch KO).

• MCM says:

But what does it gain him Brendhan? Why take the risk?
    I like the Serra fight only cause I thought it was pretty obvious Serra won, but again, what does it gain Hughes. The problem with Matt is that he’s in a class unto himself. At every other weight class there are aging stars that could come together for one last hurray, but Hughes has faced everyone there is in the WW division. I’d say give him Fitch as Jon is a challenge but I don’t think Hughes wants to face another AKA fighter. Maybe Ebersol.

• MCM says:

Sh*t. How did I forget Dennis Hallman. I know he’s fighting at LW now, but it’s not like he isn’t huge at that weight anyway. One last go at Hughes, one last chance for some measure of redemption for Matt. Hughes has lost to Penn twice with one win, Gsp twice with one win, Superman twice with now wins. If I were Hughes, that would be the fight I’d want to go out on.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I think he should retire. Nothing left to prove to anyone. No chance to be champ. Why let some one put your name on their win sheet?

Afraid he is gonna end up like Chuck Lidell losing badly to guys he would have beaten just a few years earlier.

• Lord Faust says:

Matt’s been bashed to sleep by GSP, Thiago Alves, Josh Koschek, and BJ Penn. I think the egg’s proven to be cracked. I’d rather see Hughes go out in FOTN fashion against someone like Serra, than risk being a “life preserver” (best way of putting it) for a guy like Hardy.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hallman!-nuff said

• @MCM…what fight were you watching between Hughes and Serra? The only significant strike Serra landed in the first was an illegal headbutt that did rock hughes, followed by Hughes slamming him and dominating him on the ground for the following 3 minutes, the second round was all Hughes and the 3rd was no doubt all Serra….either way Im just arguin for the fun of it, Id like to see that fight again.
    I also would love to see Hughes fight and destroy Hardy….if Hardy thought Lytle had a tight squeeze he should see what a Moose like Hughes will do when he gets ahold of his neck.

• MCM says:

@superdave… the fight where Serra hit Hughes so hard he lost consciousness and only recovered when he got knocked back into consciousness by banging his head into Serra’s. Then he spent the rest of the round defending submissions and napping on Serras chest.

But you reminded me of another challenge in a different thread. Jake Shields. Shields needs a win, is still top 5-10, has been around for ever, and won’t be able to shut Matts lights out. I think the Hallman fight is still the last one he should take, but if that doesn’t work out, Hughes/Shields is an easy co-headliner on any card.

I like the shields match up but I really like the Hallman match up good reasoning and a competitive match up… Good stuff mcm

• moosebaby02 says:

Hell I will like to see the Serra fight as well as the Shields one. But if I had to pick one I would pick the Serra fight. I still feel there is some unfinshed business between those two.

• Lord Faust says:

Plus any time you shove a mic in front of Serra it’s usually worth your time.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says: