Forrest Griffin calls Tito Ortiz “the perfect” opponent for a “get right fight”

Light heavyweight legend Tito Ortiz has been very vocal in terms of naming Forrest Griffin as the opponent he’d like to face in his final fight before retiring from MMA after a fifteen year run in the sport. However, Griffin hasn’t taken the bait and responded to Ortiz’s challenge…until now, that is.

Griffin was a guest this week on Inside MMA where he discussed the possibility of a rubber-match with Ortiz, admitting it was an enticing possibility but not necessarily one with enough momentum to actually materialize.

“The truth is we each consider the other an easy fight,” joked the former 205-pound champion. “For me that’s the perfect ‘get right’ fight. Coming off a bad loss, beat Tito Ortiz up no problem. For Tito he’s thinking, ‘Forrest ain’t that good. He’s good old prematurely. This is a great way to go out, with a win over Forrest.’ So it’s a beautiful match-up because we both think of the other as an easy fight.”

However, according to Griffin, it would take more than their interest for the UFC to book the bout, with him adding, “If enough people get on Twitter, it’ll happen.”

Griffin and Ortiz have fought twice before with each taking away a Split Decision victory. They last faced off in 2009 where Griffin got the nod. Ortiz has gone 1-3 since the fight while Griffin is 1-1 in the span.

Check out the full interview with Griffin below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Kamakosmo says:

Oh god…enough. Do we really need another 3 round decision followed by an injury-riddled excuse for whoever loses?

How about:
    Vera, Silva, Matyushenko or even Bader?

Enough of these ‘Trilogy’ fights.

IMO This is a perfect fight for FOX… you got a big name retiring and a big name looking to get on track…I think both guys will come to go to war… die hards dont wanna pay for this fight and new fans will have at least heard of these guys before if not maybe even seen one of there fights… I say do it and do it on FOX. Plus it completes a trilogy which is at 1-1.

Disclaimer: I acknowledge the fact that most of us don’t want to see this fight and it’s kind of a pointless fight BUT it serves it’s purpose…

• Lord Faust says:

After Forrest’s fights against Silva and Shogun, I would rather read his books and watch his interviews. I still think he beats Tito handily, but that’s not high praise.

Would I watch this fight? Yes. Would I pay for this fight? Good god, no.

• stone says:

+1 for Rece Rock

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah, Rece’s marketing angle for Fox makes sense. Dollars and cents. *rimshot*

• MCM says:

I said this on another site, but I think this is the perfect for TUF. Both these guys are great coaches. Both have excellent TV personalities. Both have names and neither would tie up anyone in the LHW rankings. Do the fight at the TUF finally and it’s a guaranteed draw.

• Lord Faust says:

I could see the UFC doing it, if Wanderlei / Belfort and Cruz / Faber weren’t already lined up; we’d be waiting almost a year for the debut episode.

• MCM says:

Is the UFC waiting to do Cruz/Faber till after TUF Brazil? I think they’re gonna run pretty close together. Brazil starts filming in Feb (I think) and TUF FX starts in March. I think they could have another TUF start up during the summer with these two on it. Besides, it’s not like either one has anything else lined up.

• Lord Faust says:

I had not considered that. If that is the case, I say Hell Yeah.

• WHO in the blue hell put that breakdown together? Tito’s striking as good as Forrest? Hardly…never…what the fuck? Tito’s subs equal to Forrest? I mean ok, sure he submitted Bader…but really?

• Lord Faust says:

That’s still nothing compared to Joe Rogan giving Jon Jones the edge in “experience” over Machida. Quantifying fighters skills is just moronic.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

This fight should headline a FUEL event-That way barely anyone would have to watch it

• Oh and another thing…Tito gets a 4 in endurance when he’s notably gassed every fight since the first Forrest fight and Forrest who throws MORE strikes in later rounds than in the earlier rounds is only equivalent to that!? Yeah sounds equal to me.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Superdave you are all sorts of awesome for throwing in a video game reference-absolutely ridiculous-too funny

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Tito Ortiz deliberately lost the last fight in order to put together a trilogy. He spent the last few minutes of the fight doing nothing but looking at the clock. Do NOT put this fight together. As soon as the fight finished he was in Forrests ear for a decider, even before the results were read out.

• Who else thinks Forrest Griffin vs. Phil Davis would be awesome? Forrests TDD is semi garbage but his submission work is great, Phil’s striking sucks, but hey he could always just take Forrest down and then we see some sick grappling.

Or as someone mentioned earlier Vera could be a good one. For either guy previously mentioned.
    and Logic I dont think so…the notion that a fighter would be so bitchmade to throw a fight for the possibility of a rubber match…even Tito….is laughable. Tito just doesnt have the lion heart he used to have, he gave up against Hammil and he gave up against Lil Nog.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

No way. You watch the fight again. He sits there doing nothing for a large part of that 3rd rd watching the clock and was fine at the end. He wanted another main event and another big pay.The idea that a fighter (just a person too) would not do this is laughable. I suppose you think all cops are straight too. It was a split dec victory to Forest but at no time in that final rd did Tito lose heart. He waited, doing nothing until nearly the final bell. He wins no interest in a 3rd fight, he loses and a decider and maybe anther FEW HUNDRED THOUSAND are potentialy in his pocket for a main event. It didnt work out for him as it turns out, well not the way (I think) he wanted. Are you another one who thinks fights dont get fixed in the UFC? If so, why wouldnt they? Fights in the UFC hav been fixed and will be happening all the time. Its all about incentives, if there is incentive to do it, it will be happening somewhere by somebody. It just so happens that there is massive incentives to fix fights.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Forrest and Tito made 250,000 each for the last fight. There is motive for sure. Watch the fight, he doesnt try to win in a close fight. Imo he tries to make sure he loses.

• Lord Faust says:

Is there anything that isn’t ‘explained’ by some totally from-left-field conspiracy, to you?

• hindsightufuk says:

i enjoyed the first two fights, first one in particular, so i’m happy with the rubber.
    however if i had to choose myself, i’d like to have seen tito go out against rampage in japan.
    fuck ryan bader

@MCM I like the TUF idea… green light that shit.

• Do I think fights occasionally get fixed? Probably…that sort of shit happens, but do I think this one went down the way you think it did? No, I think Tito was gassed, beat up and demoralized after he realized that his old tactics werent working and he quit. I mean with his cracked skull and his slipped disc..which one was it…c4-g6-8675309? How could he keep goin?