Nick Diaz: “In my opinion, everyone else is crazy.”

If you’ve ever wondered why Nick Diaz strays from the norm when it comes to the way he treats opponents or even media duties he’ll have you know it’s based on authenticity in a world where fakeness is the norm. Diaz has no illusions of what his chosen profession entails – two individuals attempting to damage the other to the point of submission or separation from consciousness.

“Some people aren’t mature enough to handle it. This isn’t soccer. I have no problem being sportsmanlike about this whole thing. I understand it’s a sporting event. But to me this is a fight,” Diaz explained in an interview with MMAFighting. “I’m not going to let things change that to help this sport become what it is. I think this sport IS what it is. I don’t worry about looking good. I do what I’ve got to do to survive, to keep my teeth in my head, and my head on my shoulders. I apologize to whoever can’t put that together and understand that.”

“People try to say, ‘Nick Diaz, he’s crazy or not crazy or fake crazy’,” the outspoken welterweight continued. “I’m like, ‘Hey, bro, what you see is what you get.’ I’m not out here trying putting on an act like I’m crazy. In my opinion, everyone else is crazy. They’re the ones who put on an act for you, doing what they’re told in front of the camera…They turn these guys into robots. I’m just not going to be that guy. Don’t tell me I’m crazy. I’m out here acting natural. I’m the only one here being realistic out here about this sort of thing.”

Diaz also said his style of fighting reflects his opinion about keeping things real, opting to brawl against strikers instead of rely on his high-level grappling ability. It’s also a mindset he sees Carlos Condit possessing, who he faces this Saturday night in the main event at UFC 143, and an aspect of his opponent he genuinely appreciates.

Fans can see what Diaz does next, a prospect often as entertaining as his offerings inside the cage, when he collides with Condit. The show fires up at 7:00 PM EST on FX/Facebook before main card action starts at 10:00 PM EST on PPV.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• The only thing that worries me about Diaz’s chances here is his decided lack of anger towards carlos…..he hasnt flipped him off or called him a bitch or anything…..strange.

• Dufresne says:

I’m one of those people that actually like both the Diaz brothers, and to an extent I can see where he’s coming from. He competes in MMA, but in his mind he’s a fighter and only a fighter. The only problem, as he’s found out, is that there’s more to being a mixed martial artist in the UFC than just being a damn good fighter and that his responsibilities don’t end when he leaves the cage.

I think the reason he hasn’t showed as much anger and hate towards Condit as he usually does towards other opponents is that he sees Condit as another true fighter. Condit comes to finish people, not win decisions, and that’s how Diaz fights. That and Diaz probably has gotten more than a few earfuls about his public persona in the recent past.

• Lord Faust says:

I think Diaz sees himself in Condit and knows what happens when people try the tough guy act on him. I’m thinking Diaz takes the W; he seems to have a smart all-around approach to this fight.

• moosebaby02 says:

Want both of them to win. Diaz cause I want to see him fight GSP. Condit cause I liked him before he was the WEC champ wich he didn’t lose I believe. Can’t wait to watch this one

• MMA-LOGIC says:

No he didnt lose it Moose. He never lost in the WEC. I think this fight is truely a contender fight. When I say that I mean that I believe Condit and Diaz are both top 5. Hard to pick s winner bit Im picking this as fight of the year and Diaz via dec.

• hindsightufuk says:

i also like both the Diaz boys, love watching them fight. and its been cool watching them mature physically and mentally as well over the years.
    much as i would normally root for Carlos i gotta hate him for 15 minutes on saturday and back Nick all the way. if Carlos does win though i wont be gutted

WAR CONDIT.

• Screenplaya says:

This should be a heckuva fight, but I am pretty sure the judges can take the night off for this one. I don’t think there is a man alive who can take 5 rounds of Diaz’ punches.

Then again, if Condit has been working his ground control, he might be able to score a couple of takedowns and stay out of jitsu trouble.

Maybe the judges should stick around, then. Just in case… :)

• Angry Mike says:

Everybody else is crazy or inauthentic? Nick Diaz, the Holden Caulfield of MMA. Dude needs a red hunting cap.

• Lord Faust says:

“Everyone else is crazy.”

Actually, that would make them normal — and Nick still crazy.

But that’s OK, I don’t expect him to spend a lot of time philosophising.

• THEGUNNER says:

He reminds me of how tank abbot used to fight. Like he hes in a bar fight or street fight.

• Lord Faust says:

The difference being that Nick’s idea of working on his cardio isn’t “switching to light beer”.

• MCM says:

Screenplaya: Noons went 5 rounds with Diaz, so I know Carlos can.

Angry Mike and Lord Faust: This here is a Nick Diaz article! Save that brainiac shit for a Carlos Newton thread.

Rece Rock: Damn right.

• moosebaby02 says:

I just want too watch this one. Could be a serious epic fight.
    I’m torn I tell ya but I believe in my opinon Diaz messed up his first title shot n was given to Condit.
    So war Condit

• Angry Mike says:

My heart says Condit, but my brain says Diaz. He hasn’t lost since 2006. His loss to Noons in 2007 was from a cut, and he’s had scar tissue surgically removed since then. Diaz’s striking just keeps getting better, and he’s got the chin. You can make a case for Condit too, for reasons including his ko power. But I still think that Diaz wins it, especially if it goes past three. The cumulative effect of Diaz’s strikes really takes a toll in the latter rounds.

• moosebaby02 says:

They went 5 rounds in the WEC when Condit was champ I believe. So it shouldn’t be a problem for him if does go in too the later rounds