Carlos Condit plays spoiler at UFC 143, Nick Diaz says he’s done with MMA

It’s been a long and winding road but UFC 143 finally arrived with a welterweight title-fight in tow, as Nick Diaz faced Carlos Condit in the headliner for the right to claim ownership to an interim belt and a guaranteed shot at Georges St. Pierre if so desired. The card also featured a number of other interesting bouts with divisional impact such as Fabricio Werdum’s co-headlining collision with Roy Nelson and the bantamweight battle between Scott Jorgensen and Renan Barao. Other athletes in action include Ed Herman, Dustin Poirier, and Josh Koscheck.

The main card was decision-heavy but entertaining nonetheless including a spirited affair between Nelson-Werdum as well as a memorable main event between Condit-Diaz. In the end it was “The Natural Born Killer” who came away with the victory after outpointing Diaz on the judges’ scorecards. Condit fought intelligently, counter-striking throughout and avoiding any significant damage.

Shockingly, Diaz said after the fight he was retiring from MMA based on how disappointed he was with the outcome based on having pushed Condit back the entire time.

Read below for a full list of UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit outcomes:

Stephen Thompson def. Daniel Stittgen via Knockout Round 1 (Head Kick)
Rafael Natal def. Michael Kuiper via Unanimous Decision
Matt Riddle def. Henry Martinez via Split Decision
Matt Brown def. Chris Cope via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Edwin Figueroa def. Alex Cacaeres via Split Decision
Dustin Poirier def. Max Holloway via Submission Round 1 (Mounted Armbar-Triangle Choke)
Ed Herman def. Clifford Starks via Submission Round 2 (Rear-Naked Choke)
Renan Barao def. Scott Jorgensen via Unanimous Decision
Josh Koscheck def. Mike Pierce via Split Decision
Fabricio Werdum def. Roy Nelson via Unanimous Decision
Carlos Condit def. Nick Diaz via Unanimous Decision

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

Great sub by Poirier. Halloway looks promising too.

• Lord Faust says:

Aside from some nutshots that would make Cheick Kongo envious, the undercard was great. Once again, free fights deliver.

• Sykotick says:

R.I.P. to the gladiator =’(

• Lord Faust says:

Indeed, cheesy thought it may be I miss it as my signal that it’s time to top up the drink, finish my smoke and get my ass in front of the TV.

• Sykotick says:

Xbox Live, baby!!! HD MMA!!!

• Lord Faust says:

Good job by Herman realising his sloppy striking wasn’t cutting it and transitioning that slick takedown into a fight-ending choke.

• Sykotick says:

Damn! I guess he has Takedown Defense 0.o wtf are they feeding these Brazilian guys?!

• Sykotick says:

Did goldie just say Edgar vs Bendo on Sept 25??

• Lord Faust says:

Renan Barao’s striking was damn impressive. Credit to Jorgensen for taking all of that.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

After I ordered it on UFC.com I thought to myself, “Damn – shoulda tried XBOX!” Will do that next time for sure. How is it Syko?

• Lord Faust says:

Pierce / Kos is the only fight on this card I am not sure about. Got Kos winning this, but I have a weird feeling.

• Lord Faust says:

To quote a friend of mine, “Josh Koscheck is getting Vickie Guerrero booed.”

• Sykotick says:

Freakin amazing, crisp crisp picture, n with a lil surround sound, after a few beers you’ll keep wondering how Joe rogan is talking behind you, and its Xbox, so rewind whenever you want

• Lord Faust says:

Damnit, between that and the new game I think I have to crack and buy an Xbox.

Oh, and Werdum’s taking this.

• Lord Faust says:

Kos / Pierce, I think winner should be in quote marks regardless of how you discuss that fight.

• Sykotick says:

Wtf?! 1st I didn’t know Werdum knew how to use his hands and knees
    2nd, I think even if Thor smashed big country with his hammer, square on the chin, country would still be standing

• Sykotick says:

It’s worth it Faust, between netflix (for entertainment) YouTube (for fight clips) and the UFC app (for HD fights) its worth it

• Lord Faust says:

Roy Nelson’s head is made of granite. I will accept no other answer.

Werdum looked good. Like everyone else has shown, it’s tiring having to punch Roy that many times to keep him off of you.

• MCM says:

I think Werdum’s worst moment in MMA wasn’t the loss to JDS, it’s the butt flopping against Overeem. If he would have stayed standing, he would have won that fight easy IMO.

• Lord Faust says:

MCM: agree 100%. If he did that, we’d be talking about how Overeem probably just finished gasing out against Nelson.

• Sykotick says:

Condit looks scary haha. I wouldn’t fuck with him.

• Sykotick says:

Best boxing in MMA my ass!!! Condit 50-45, EASY

• MCM says:

I think 49-46 was accurate. Condit lost the first and won the other 4.

• Lord Faust says:

I really disagree with the decision. Still, a good fight. I expect they’ll give it FOTN.

• MCM says:

bye

• MCM says:

Faust – I think the argument could be made that Diaz won the first two rounds, but he never got anything off in the last three and Condit was landing left, right and center.

• JabCrossHook says:

carlos the natural born runner

• gy614x says:

Before the “he ran the whole fight” gets thrown around, check out the Penn v. Diaz fight, exactly what happens when you don’t circle. Condit avoided diaz’s strength, out struck him, mixed up his attack, and won the fight, period.

• Brilliant display of tactical Kickboxing by Carlos. It wasnt the war I wanted or expected but those exiting body shots were beautiful, he was never just avoiding and not striking and he was throwing for the fences the entire time. he found a way to shut down the game of Nick Diaz.. Well done NBK….keep that footwork up and work on that tdd, cuz your the guy I want to take GSP’s belt…
    oh and GSP looked SCARED when Carlos won.

• Niv says:

I honestly thought Diaz won that fight. It was close but I had him winning 3 rounds for sure, but I guess that’s how it goes.

Condit countered well, but missed on a ton of his counters also, I was really hoping to see Diaz vs GSP, I guess that’s done for good.

GSP is going to run right through Condit unfortunately, I really felt Diaz would be the better fight.

• Niv says:

GSP isn’t scared of anybody in his division let’s get that straight guys, he’s a machine and is going to make Condit look like he doesn’t belong in there with him.

• MCM says:

you think so superdave? I thought he looked disappointed. He wanted Diaz more than any other fighter since Matt Hughes. I think he was more upset that Diaz said he was retiring before they got a chance to go at it.

I thought Carlos was great tonight, but I don’t see him beating GSP. (but I don’t see anyone beating GSP)

• GSP is a great fighter and I know i constantly bash the guy, but that doesnt mean I dont know for a cold hard fact he’s probably the greatest champion in the UFC aside from Silva. I just dont like how he cant finish obviously overmatched opponents due to his safe fighting or LnP or whatever you want to call it.
    Carlos is a completely different animal in there with him than any of the strikers with below average grappling, the grapplers with below average striking, the 155ers or Jon Fitch. He’s a guy who has insane strikes with KO power, great subs and the best kimura sweep in the business, cardio for days and the one thing GSP lacks-a true killer instinct. Can GSP beat Condit or anyone else on any day of the year for that matter? Absolutely…the only difference with Carlos, is the same thing applies to him too.

Plus I just want someone to shake up WW! Is that too much to ask!?!

• Oh and before anyone brings it up….yes i know he finished the two 155ers

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Really disapointed with Condit. For a guy with such a high winning % he really had the gear stick firmly slotted in reverse. I think Condit won but I think Diaz won 1 and 5. The argument could be made for 2 & 3 too. Condit ran away and countered well but I dont respect that kind of fighting. For those that picked Nelson, do uou finally get it, HE SUCKS! Werdum has improved his clinch too. Its that UFC factor I think, he wins against a couple of UFC fighters so he is good but Werdum beating non UFC guys is not as good. As shown time after time, it doesnt work that way. Nelson is not top 20 in ability, he is fat, doesnt sub anyone and has fairly poor striking.
    Kos was.lucky to sneak away with a win. Difficult fight for him.
    I hope Diaz fights on in MMA, he is a great fighter and produces great fights (if his opponent is willing to fight aswell). Diaz vs Kampman, Alvez, Sanchez or Thiago would all be good.
    Such a shame Condit fought that way, cant blame him but it ruined the fight for me. It was fairly boring. Diaz should really learn to check those kicks.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Condit wont beat GSP but Diaz would have, in a fight not a game of tag.
    Sykotik he is one of the best boxers in MMA. How did tonight show you any different?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

For those saying Condit wasnt running. Yes he was. Did it win him the fight? Yes it did but tell me how many fighters are trying to finish going backwards? None. He was out pointing him. He knew he couldnt stand with him or at least it wasnt as safe. He played it safe by running.
    By the way I yhink Diaz won the fith for sure. He was going forward, landing strikes, got the take down, got the back anf had 2 or 3 sub atempts. Those that gave 5 to Condit are worse than Cecil Peoples, what fight were you watching? I think all 3 judges gave Diaz 5.

• king mah mah says:

Um yeah, I thought Diaz won the fight easily. He won the first three just by pressing the action. I gave Carlos the 4th because he landed way more. The 5th rd was a no brainer! Diaz all the way. You people bitch about the judging, but then you would score a fight worse than Cecil Peoples would!

I can see an argument for Carlos winning, but it should’ve been within one point. FUCKING RIDICULOUS!!

• JabCrossHook says:

Its funny how octagon control is so important to the judges in the form of takedowns and top control but when a fighter has someone running away from their strikes half the time its not considered octagon control….

• Richard Stabone says:

$800 pays $2320 – thank you to all the Diaz fanboys that drove the line so ridiculously one sided.

This was gonna be a close tough fight. Vegas had it nearly even when it opened up. But then the Diaz hype machine took over and made it a no-brainer value bet for Condit. Now I practically don’t care if I lose my bet on the Pats tomorrow. Great night of fights here in LV.

• Richard Stabone says:

And I don’t get all the anger coming from the Diaz fanboys. It wasn’t a decisive outcome but Diaz delivered no significant damage… like Ellenberger has said, those peppering jabs just aren’t gonna cut it against the top competition. It would’ve been nice to see Carlos open things up a bit more but when it was so easy to keep Diaz’s weak shit away, why risk it? Don’t be mad, homies…Nick can roll a spliff and contemplate retirement cuz he’s now a rich man.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

WTF? You mean those pepering jabs that Condit ran from all night? That beat the shit out of Penn? Youre a hater. People had this for Diaz for a reason and it was only Condits gameplan of early Machida like hit and run that upset Diaz. Condit won, I agree but he was literaly running away and Diaz was chasing him for the whole fight. Its such a shame that Condit didnt go in their to see who the better fighter is. People are upset for 2 reasons 1) Condit ran away and 2) Condit ran away and won. Hey good luck to him but I dont care if you are fighting Kos, Diaz or the Pope, that is a pretty shitty way to win. It could be argued that Diaz won too. He was marginally outstruck in rds 1 & 3 but was the agressor. He was the guy going forward in rd 2 and landed more strkes. He won rd 5, he was outstruck but he was pushing the pace, got the takedown and Condits back. I think he atempted 2 subs from there. So yeah people are pissed. Condit was negative and won.
    So easy to keep Diazs weak shit away? By running yeah. We are not fanboys, you are a hater and real dick when your horse comes in.

• MickeyC says:

as much s it pains me to say it Diaz lost. Carlos threw & landed more shots. Sure alot were kicks, but that what he had to do to distance nick.

• stone says:

I would’ve stopped the fight and gave Nick Diaz the W after he bitch smacked CC….that was funny, awesome & just godamn degrading! DIAZ ALL THE WAY! dog fight??? Condit & Greg Jackson game planning SUCKS!

• Logic….Carlos didnt run, he evaded. Anyone who is a fan of lyoto machida should be an even bigger fan of condit last night. He did the smart thing by not getting cornered not getting caught up and not getting beaten. This was Tito vs. Lyoto all over again, had Nick wanted to engage carlos maybe he should’ve ran him down instead of running his mouth.

And as far as Jake Ellenberger talking about Nick’s punches, he wouldnt survive two rounds with Nick because he walks forward and eats punches.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Ah, so Kalib Starnes was “evading” Nate Quarry when they fought. Gotcha. :)

Anyways, Condit shouldn’t be faulted for approaching things intelligently instead of playing into Diaz’s hands (instead of vice-versa). I thought Nick deserved the decision but I can see why the judges went the other way.

• Madmax says:

Dia$$ shows once again that he is just a classless gang punk. Now he adds crybaby, sore loser, and “I’ll just take my ball and go home”. GOOD! Good F’n riddance that is. Like hey nick, youve NEVER won a fight by decision???? If I were Dana, after his unsporting whining, I wouldnt give him the chance to just go away, I’D FIRE HIS ARSE FORTHWITH and see to it he NEVER, EVER!!!! fights in the UFC again. Maybe he can become leader of the local Stockton Gangs now since he wont be fighting anymore. A worthy ambition to be sure.

YOU LOST Dia$$, your face showed it post fight. Condit didnt have barely a mark on him.

See ya over in bellator or shark fights, working for peanuts. Serves you perfectly!!!

• Lord Faust says:

Did the Diaz boys kill your pet cat or something? That’s some pretty ridiculous vitriol you’re throwing around…

• elsicilian says:

I’m a fan of both Diaz brothers, and I didn’t particularly enjoy Condit’s hit-and-run strategy; however, it was an effective counter-strategy to the Stockton Style, and there’s no question that the decision was correct … neither man did huge damage, but Condit landed a lot more strikes in every round, and those “sissy leg kicks” actually looked pretty brutal.

I’d give Diaz the 5th for his takedown/backmount/sub attempts (which was the most impressive offense all night from either man). I only wish he had done that a few rounds earlier (he’s probably wishing the same thing himself).

Diaz was just frustrated threatening to retire … he’ll be back for a shot at GSP once the real champ is finished dispatching Condit.

• Lord Faust says:

Since I’m a die-hard Machida fan, I can’t hate on Condit too much. He definitely straddled the line between counter-striking and running away, though. Regardless, we can dissect the fight forever and it won’t change the decision. I see this as fate’s way of getting back at me for stating “great, Cecil Peoples is judging; I can’t wait to see what 1 + 1 equals tonight” on Twitter before the main event started.

I am pretty certain there will be a rematch before GSP comes back. Goldberg was talking about GSP returning to fight in November; there’s enough time for both guys to rest up, do another camp, fight again, then prep to fight GSP.

My prediction: Dana will throw a bunch of money at Diaz and coax him into the rematch which I expect him to win.

We’ll see Nick Diaz and (and probably even BJ Penn) in the octagon at least once more this year. It feels inevitable. I could be wrong, but I hope not.

• RicM says:

………so now we’re gonna have Condit’s “run away” strategy against GSP’s “play it safe” strategy…….what a fucking snoozefest that’s gonna be……..screw it, time to start giving Bellator more of my money……UFC is getting shittier by the event…….

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Yes, because it is the UFC’s fault that Condit decided to fight intelligently instead of going balls to the wall.

It’s an interesting question though in terms of what if anything the UFC can do to change fighters’ attitudes about aggression.

• Lord Faust says:

It’s going to be hard for Condit to run away, flat on his back.