Carlos Condit’s camp not interested in rematch with Nick Diaz, ready to wait for GSP

In a change of direction, new interim champion Carlos Condit appears ready to wait for Georges St. Pierre to return from injury before fighting again inside the Octagon. Condit defeated Nick Diaz this past Saturday at UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit, securing himself a piece of UFC gold for the first time in his career.

Last week it was reported by Condit’s management team that if he was to beat Diaz for the interim title he would likely stay active, defending the belt once before potentially facing GSP. However, Condit’s manager, Malki Kawa, changed his tune on those claims earlier today.

“At this point, (a rematch) is not something we’re looking to do,” said Kawa, in an interview with MMAFighting. “We’re looking for Georges. People forget, Carlos waited a long time to this get fight. I think clearly and decisively, he won the fight. All of the opinions that matter scored Carlos as winner.”

Diaz’s trainer/manager, Cesar Gracie, was a guest today on the MMA Hour, said in response to Kawa’s statements, “Of course they’re not interested in a rematch. They lost the first one.”

There was talk of an immediate rematch between Condit and Diaz taking place based on the bout being scored very closely, though that could have been difficult to work out as Diaz announced his retirement from MMA immediately after the fight.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

Smart

Good… For all the bullshit talk of Carlos doing nothing in the fight, I want to know exactly what Nick did to deserve a rematch? Nick kept running his mouth and confit kept throwing kicks… Tuff shit Diaz go kick rocks u hump.

• elkymbo says:

Agreed Rece. All we saw was a well execute game plan. Short of knocking him out the way Condit fought is about the only way to beat Diaz. Just because he didn’t get sucked into Diaz’s game people are pissed off at Condit?? These people are not true mma fans and I say to them….meh!

• Lord Faust says:

He should thank Diaz for no-showing those press conferences, otherwise he’d still be waiting.

He also better hope he doesn’t end up like Rashad; hurt, missing his title shot, and working his way back up.

He doesn’t owe Diaz a rematch but his manager is a fool if he thinks that was decisive; if it was so decisive why is half the planet still crabbing?

• MCM says:

And if Diaz had squeaked by with the Dec, Cesar would be saying no to a rematch too.
    Why anyone would want to give up a shot at the title is beyond me, just look what happened in the LW division. Petis, Miller, Guida, Guillard, Bendo (in WEC), etc. Sure Rashad got hosed, but he’s the exception that proves the rule.

• moosebaby02 says:

Cause there Diazs nutt hugging babies

• And I for one say good for The NBK…he clearly won and if Cesar and the rest of his camp would sit down and watch the fight with semi objective eyes they’d see Nick lost….Let Nick work back up, there’s too many great fights in the WW division for either of these two to fight each other….give Nick Kos….he’ll play Diaz’s game and get a total asswhooping in the process.

• Lord Faust says:

Moose – not that I think there’s a lot of merit to it, the fact that the fight was close enough for the “babies” to cry about it says it was far-from definitive. Aside from the morons spouting nonense and rage, there were enough objective folks who — at least initially — thought Diaz had a case. I was one of them. I just don’t have any personal investment in the winner, so I am not going to get all choked up and defend that stance like my honour depends on it or something.

And yeah, Nick would almost certainly do the same thing. Frankly, there’s plenty of time to book this rematch; we’ll see what some time, the Fertita’s pocket-book, and fate can manage. The whole rematch discussion is based on an off-hand remark from Dana and some banter from managers. Technically Diaz is “retired”. (Unless you’re in your mid-40s, that word should always been in quotes regarding athletes.)

I still think it’ll happen. Money talks.

• FightFan313 says:

anyone that thinks what Condit did was fighting is a damn fool. Fight the guy that is in front of you..turn and stick then move out of the way to gain offence. .don’t put yourself up against the cage so you can then run out to the middle of the ring just to bait nick to the cage again…what a joke of a fight on Condits part.. .I use to be fan..not anymore.. I was expecting a war..a show if skill.. all I got was bullshit politician garble. REMATCH.

• MickeyC says:

I understand that a manager has to stand behind their fighter but if Gracie really thinks that Diaz won that fight than my proffesional opinion of him has decreased. No WAY Diaz won that fight. Sure Carlos “ran” around a bit. But that was his gameplan to create thje space,make it so Diaz could not throw his well known multi puch runs on the inside. Same with the kicks, he shut diaz down and never let him take control. I dig diaz’s way of fighting, but the people that are arguing that he should have won are the same ones that sit and crach their heads at a good grappling match. GAME PLAN people. Deal with it. If you do not understand ALL aspects of the fight game, please do not act as though you do, you just look stupid. And I agree if Diaz had won, thay would not be agreeing to a rematch either.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

No, he DIDNT shut Diaz down. He ran so Diaz couldnt hit him. He did not shut Diaz down or win decisively. LOTS of people thought Diaz won. If you look at the stats he won 2 clearly and 1 & 5 are debatable. Sure his gameplan worked but his gameplan was to run away and counter. This is negative. It wasnt to attack, to shut him down, sub or KO him. It was to outpoint Diaz by running. I thought Condit won but in a really shitty way.
    Listen to all the Diaz haters saying “no he doesnt warrant a rematch” excuse me but WHY THE FUCK as a fan would you want Condit not to fight again begore GSP? Are you afraid Diaz might win? If not whats wrong with a rematch? A lot of you are running too. You guys just make sure Diaz doesnt get that rematch wont you, becuz Diaz is a baddie.
    You guys dont want a rematch becuz you dont like Diaz, there is no reason whatsoever other than that. Explain why you are so keen to protect Condit. “No Condit dont fight him” pfffft, please. I like watching Condit fight. Obviously you guys dont becuz you want him to sit out for 7-8 months.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry 5 isnt debatable. Diaz won 5.

• MickeyC says:

Diaz won 5 my ass. Were we watching the same fight, or did they show a diffrent one in fantacy land. And what do you mean he did not shut him down. Diaz landed a third as many strikes as normal. while being hit by more, if that is not shutting him down, I do not know what is. And just so we are clear, I never said I would not like to see a rematch. Just that Diaz would not have offered one if it had gone the other way. Hell they said that before the fight. That he would fight at 185 before he took another at 170. I bet this is fine to you though right. Oh, and just so there is no mistake. I do not dis- like Diaz, hell, both brothers in my top 5 as far as favorite fighters, however I will not let that effect the way my eys work. I saw him loose , I will not let my being a fan sway what happened. Which seems tobe what happened to more than a few folks here.

• MickeyC says:

OH, my bad, you were refering to round 5 not that he won all five. I agree he won round 5, and round 1. anything you give him beyond that is a gift.HAHA

• MMA-LOGIC says:

According to the stats Diaz won rd 2. He landed more and was moving forward.

• AlphaOmega says:

“You guys dont want a rematch becuz you dont like Diaz”

I’ll admit it, I can’t stand him, I was happy as hell when he said he was quitting like a bitch. However, I hate instant rematches, I didn’t like the machida vs shogun one, frankie vs penn one, or any of the others that’s happened, I don’t think its right. If one fighter wasn’t happy with the judging decision, and think its controversial, maybe they shouldn’t of let it go to the judges.

• Paulo says:

They should have never made that fight for the “Interim Championship” to begin with. What was the point if Condit is going to sit and wait for George? Isn’t the entire point of having an Interim champ so that the division has a defending champion until the injured champ comes back? Dana should have just booked it as a normal fight. Then we wouldn’t have this issue. George isn’t going to fight until November so the whole “Interim Champ” thing was a really dumb idea since we have to wait AT LEAST 9 months for them to fight anyway.
    That being said, if I was Carlos, I’d wait too because he risks losing more money in a fight with George than he has made in his entire career to that point. I don’t blame Carlos for waiting, I blame the UFC for setting up a pointless “Interim Champ” fight.

• Alright Logic maybe that goes for the Diaz haters but what about me? Im a loud and proud 209 resident and was probably a Diaz fan before you or anyone else on here knew he existed. He lost the fight dude, plain and simple…if 1 and 2 are debatable and Nick won 5 then he still(possibly) LOST. I would love to see you take one carlos condit front kick to the face, 3 strike combo, spinning elbow or any of the other devastating strikes he threw the other night and not taste the ground beneathe your feet. Nick’s tough and wouldnt go down. Simple as that…just cuz someone isnt throwing strikes like Nick or Fedor flurries that doesnt mean he’s not trying to finish.

As far as Carlos not being interested in the rematch why should he be? He’s had his sights trained on GSP since october and has gotten screwed several times in the process…he wants that UFC belt…if Diaz is the warrior that we all know he is then he should have no problems bashing through WW to set up a rematch at a later date…and maybe come with a less idiotic game plan. I love how Nick fights but if you dont take the bait then shit talking does no good. and you need to adapt.

• MCM says:

good point Paulo.

Yep just blew my mind with that very simple yet never bought up point… Excellent addition to the convo… Agreed!