Dana White confirms Carlos Condit-Nick Diaz II set for later this year

And the saga continues…

Trainer Cesar Gracie recently came forward to express his belief that fans hadn’t seen the last of Nick Diaz inside the Octagon or any cage for that matter. While Gracie thought it would take Diaz a year or so before getting the itch to fight again, it appears it will actually only be a matter of months after UFC President Dana White went on Twitter to confirm Condit had agreed to fight Diaz again and clear up any confusion surrounding the outcome of their first bout.

White did not go into specifics but did say that Condit wanted the match-up to occur. Today’s news came as a complete 180 from comments made this week by Condit’s manager who said his client would wait for Georges St. Pierre rather than face Diaz again in an immediate rematch.

This past weekend, Diaz was handed a decision loss at the hands of Carlos Condit in the main event of UFC 143. The bout was for the interim UFC welterweight title and Diaz, along with numerous fans, fellow fighters, and media members, felt like he deserved to have his hand raised when things were done.

During the post-fight interview, the Stockton native announced he was done with MMA and was moving on, citing the judges’ approach to scoring as the reason for his departure from the sport. The news shocked just about everyone watching in attendance and live on pay-per-view, including Joe Rogan who was conducting the post-fight interview. When Rogan continued to push for more from Diaz, the controversial welterweight explained he felt all Condit did was run from him.

PHOTO CREDIT – HDNET/UFC

• MickeyC says:

there you go huggers stop cryin.

• YetiLee says:

Bullshit! Condit clearly won that fight and because Diaz whines like a little bitch and says he will retire he gets a rematch right away? I know Dana wants GSP vs Diaz but come on this is seriously bullshit. So from now on whenever somebody loses a fight all they need to do is whine like a bitch and say they are going to quit and they will get a rematch? What is going to happen when Condit beats him again? You know Diaz will act like an even bigger shithead when he loses a second time so I got to wonder if Dana will then make them fight a 3rd time. I say to the UFC let Diaz retire he is overrated anyways and a black mark for the sport of mma. Seriously the guy is barely over .500 in the UFC and he gets another title shot? Fucking bullshit and yes I am pissed off by this and for one will not be ordering this ppv, which will be the first I have not bought in 8 years.

• MickeyC says:

Carlos really did not have another option but to agee to a rematch. After GSP openly said that he would postpone his title shot to fight Diaz when he returns. It could be a year before they would fight. I just hope however the rematch ends it be less contested. & what’s with gracie year lay off. He serious? they lookin for more $$? Who knows?

• YetiLee says:

If Carlos really agreed to this fight then teh UFC must have offered him a shit load of money. But what I think is bullshit is that if Diaz somehow wins the rematch(which he won’t) then Carlos should get a 3rd fight right away but of course that won’t happen because the UFC will do anything in their power to make sure it is Diaz vs GSP for the title because that will be the money fight but just because it will be a big money fight it doesn’t make it right. Once again Condit is getting fucked over by the UFC, just like when the UFC claimed that Condit willingly stepped aside so Diaz could fight for the title after the Penn fight. Condit’s team claimed he was forced aside just like he was forced into this fight as well, seriously just yesterday Condit said he didn’t want an immediate rematch now all of a sudden last night he did? Bullshit!

• Lord Faust says:

Emotions aside, this makes the most sense. No one else in the division has any business sniffing at a shot against GSP. That fight settled nothing and spawned a week-long argument across every forum on the Net.

And you know what, I have a hard time being pissed at Nick for “retiring”. He was supposed to get a title shot, and they took it over press conferences — the single dumbest power-trip move Dana’s ever pulled. Then Nick had to fight BJ; fine, he did that, smashed his face / pride and sent him home. Then he had to fight Condit, for a chance at the fight that was his initially, and ends up losing on a narrow decision. (I don’t care about the scores, as there wasn’t a lot of action to score.) Yeah, I’d be pissed too. “Retiring” was the only leverage Nick had in that situation, and he used it.

Plus, based on GSP’s reaction, the only person who wants to see GSP / Condit is Carlos himself. Like I said since the Sunday after, money talks — this rematch was going to happen. I also don’t think Carlos was happy with his performance, I think he wanted his gameplan to build to something; I refuse to believe he went in there with the intent of winning on points specifically.

• YetiLee says:

The only reason why GSP wants Diaz and not Condit is because he knows he can beat Diaz. I’m Canadian and love GSP but Condit would beat him, Condit doesn’t get the respect he deserves and that is such bullshit. I for one want to see Condit/GSP much more than Diaz because that would be the better fight and that would be the fight that will get Carlos the respect and attention he deserves.

• MCM says:

Fuck it. It’s not a real belt anyway, everyone else has a fight scheduled at the moment, and Diaz has once again proven that a good temper tantrum gets rewarded. I won’t buy this PPV and I doubt a lot of others will either. This first one was a let down in terms of hype and now that we’ve seen what to expect and the reaction from Diaz if he loses again, I just can’t see this fight getting top billing.
    A rematch doesn’t affect my life at all so…..fuck it.

• fitfreak says:

‘ “Retiring” was the only leverage Nick had in that situation, and he used it. ‘

Faust, I don’t think Diaz put that much thought into what he was saying. He talks with his emotions, not with his brain. In my opinion, he was being a big immature baby, as usual.

MCM, just because fight number 1 went that way, doesn’t mean fight number 2 will be the same. Remember the difference between Machida/Shogun 1 and 2?

What sucks is that Carlos constantly goes out of his way for the UFC, but they give headcase, troublemaker Diaz more money.

• fitfreak says:

On an unrelated note, what happened to the Scorecard? Is Jeremy Lambert still with this site?

• hindsightufuk says:

good for me

• Sykotick says:

1st off, wow at the fact that Condit “changed” his mind so fast. Like it or not, he won, decisively. He shut Nick down, ALL FIGHT LONG. Nick has one style, to get hit and walk you down and beat your ass. That’s what he does, and props to him for making it work, but on Saturday, he couldn’t get off cuz Condit didn’t let him, that’s shutting him down. He doesnt deserve a rematch, he deserves a time out for that tantrums he threw, and isn’t it funny how about 80% of the people that are arguing that Diaz deserves it are the same people who are anti UFC?? That can’t be coincidence.

And Faust, Diaz got pulled from his title fight by his own dumbshit-ed doing. He knew he had to make the presser, (cuz apparently its s CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION). It had nothing to do with a Dana White power trip and more to do with Diaz being a whiney irresponsible brat.

Diaz gets his way being a social deviant once again… Hey kids act like a fucktard and you’ll excel in the world… or atleast get what you want.

I just hope Condit keeps his composure once again and just lets his game plan play out… he has nothing to prove to the fans, diaz, dw or gracie.

WAR CONDIT… Hope he KO’s Diaz just when diaz is about to flap his gums.

• fitfreak says:

I would rather see Carlos vs Koscheck, and Nick move up to middleweight for one fight against Mayhem. Forget an immediate rematch. There are too many new fights to make. I think this is just a way to give the UFC hope for a Diaz / GSP title bout.

• AlphaOmega says:

How many people think that if this fight happens, and Condit wins again, Diaz/manager will say its because Diaz had actually quit so didn’t properly train or something.

• Lord Faust says:

” It had nothing to do with a Dana White power trip and more to do with Diaz being a whiney irresponsible brat.”

I’d be more inclined to believe this if Chael Sonnen wasn’t still employed. Dana White has shown he will look the other way more than once if it serves him.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Fitfreak – Jeremy (and Samer Kadi) are no longer with 5 OZ, at least in any sort of regular capacity. Definitely came out of the blue. Working on filling the gap in now so hopefully we’ll be back with previews/reviews in the near future.

Everyone Else – I’m willing to wager GSP’s willingness to give up his belt to fight Diaz was a bigger factor in this rematch being made than Diaz potentially retiring. I envision St. Pierre telling White the deal, White telling Condit the deal, and Condit saying he’d fight Diaz again to avoid that scenario.

• Lord Faust says:

Agreed, GSP basically holds all the chips. I am still shocked he wants to fight Diaz so badly; people can claim it’s because he thinks Diaz is the easier fight, but that doesn’t make a lot of sense if he’d throw away his belt for that specific “easy” fight.

• YetiLee says:

@Faust – It is the easier fight and I am sure that is one of the reasons. But I also think it has to do with Diaz being a “bigger” name and the fact that it will get a lot more ppv buys then Condit/GSP would. Now since GSP gets a % of ppv revenue it all comes down to him wanting to make as much money as he can and at the same time fight a much easier opponent. At least this is my opinion.

• Lord Faust says:

Can’t argue with that reasoning, it makes as much sense as “no, GSP is really just that mad at some kid from California.”

• MCM says:

Brendhan – Samar is gone too!? Damn.
    If you need someone with no ties to the MMA community, but is extremely opinionated without having all the facts, I’m your guy.

Also, why would Condit avoid that scenario? Wouldn’t that make him the only WW champ?

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Samer is one of Jeremy’s BFFs so he felt he could not go on here without him. Seriously.

Yes it would but with an asterisk by his name until he fought/beat GSP. Why let that loom over his head when he already knows, in his mind at least, that he can beat Diaz again and eliminate any doubt over his status? Looks better than fighting subpar contenders twice while you wait for the winner of GSP-Diaz in November to be ready to fight you (assuming he defended successfully both times).

• YetiLee says:

Well it looks like I got upset for nothing. Even though Dana White confirmed the fight last night on twitter, today Cesar Gracie said it wasn’t happening. Guess Diaz must of watched the fight and finally figured out he lost and couldn’t beat Condit.

Now lets all hope that this is the last we hear about that overgrown crybaby Diaz.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Oh booohoooo. There is rematch of a result that is in despute. Waaaaaa! This is so unfair! Condit should of sat on his ass for 9 months. Boo fuking hoo.
    How bout this, you sit back and enjoy an MMA fight instead of bitching about it happening.
    Condit has the chance to reclaim his manhood and prove that his running wasnt becuz he couldnt take Diaz on instead of running away and Diaz has the chance to prove that he actually is the better fighter.

• Lord Faust says:

“Guess Diaz must of watched the fight and finally figured out he lost and couldn’t beat Condit.”

No, he wants more money. He always wants more money, so that issue itself isn’t even new.

It’s going to happen, unless all involved are really that adverse to cashing in on controversy.

• Richard Stabone says:

I had Condit as a slight favorite going in. While he didn’t open things up as much as I expected, he implemented his game plan well, landed more strikes and emerged as the clear winner in a close fight.

So under normal circumstances, this would not be an immediate rematch situation. Just doesn’t feel necessary.

If I had my way, Condit would face GSP later this year (yeah it’d be a bit of an extended layoff for Carlos but nothing too drastic). And meanwhile, Diaz would face Ellenberger next… assuming he beats Diego, which I fully expect he will. That would set up the next challenger to the Condit-GSP winner, and still presents Diaz a very generous opportunity to be just one win away from a title shot coming off the Condit loss.

But the huge wild card is the ongoing GSP fiasco, which keeps getting more & more absurd. First Diaz missing the presser (F*ck your MOTHER!!) and thereby pissing away his title shot (which was undeserved anyway, as Nick has zero wins over a legitimate top-10 guy in his career). Then the GSP injury that shook everything up again. And now the notion that GSP is so hellbent on facing Diaz that he would stubbornly refuse to fight the winner of the interim belt? I don’t but it. I can’t believe for a second that GSP has Dana by the balls & can name his next fight, belts be damned. It’s just another scenario where the UFC can massage a situation to come up with the matchup that works well financially.

Sorry, Carlos.

• Lord Faust says:

Diaz beat Gomi when he was still relevant. I could care less if they overturned his victory; anyone who thinks marijuana is a PED can kindly just bow out of those debates.

Diaz deserved his shot as much as Lesnar and the numerous other “unworthy” contenders. He’s a draw — as evidenced by the volumes of digital ink this bout elicited — and has been running through everyone put in front of him. Unless I’m forgetting something, aside from the Condit fight, Diaz hasn’t lost a fight besides a crappy reversal of his win over Gomi, and a cut stoppage against KJ Noons (which if it “didn’t count” for everyone’s favourite Russian, then it doesn’t count for Diaz.)

Nick was more of a legit contender than you’re giving him credit for.

• Richard Stabone says:

Gomi is Nick’s best “win”… which I agree was a deserved victory. But the thing that has to be added is that it came below WW.

And then after initially given a title shot, Diaz’s win over Penn has to qualify as his best at WW, and it was certainly impressive. But BJ has never been on solid ground in the WW rankings.

There’s just no way Nick beating up some SF competition made him more deserving of the shot over Condit who was coming off wins over Ellenberger, Rory, Hardy and Kim. This aint Diaz hate… this is stating the obvious.

• Richard Stabone says:

Nick is a really good fighter. I enjoy watching him fight. But the dude is 7-5 under the UFC banner, hairs have to be split to find a top-10 win on his resume, and yet the dude is thought of as a world beater. In spirit, yes, he is. But in terms of results, not so much.

Like I mentioned before, I’d be willing to go so far as to generously give him the opportunity for a title shot after just one victory coming off this loss… but it’d have to be over Ellenberger; not an immediate rematch with Condit just cuz he didn’t like the way the fight went down.

• Lord Faust says:

Fair, but 7-5 is misleading when aside from the Penn fight, he’d been gone for quite some time — and matured a lot as a fighter in that time.

Heh, in the end I think looking for consistent logic in the UFC — or fight promotion in general — is a fruitless endeavour. I mean, what qualified Mayhem to coach on TUF? His octagon record was pretty shabby too.

• Richard Stabone says:

Did he mature/improve much in between UFC stints, or was simply the results you’d expect from facing lesser competition? Like you mentioned, pretty tough to tell.

What I’d really like to see, and feel should have happened all along, is to see Nick get a few scraps in against the current crop of top guys like Ellenberger, Hendricks, Fitch, etc. to see where he slots in among the rest of the division. But the UFC brought him back fighting for a belt too soon and is paying him too much. From a business standpoint, I guess they’re milking him for what they can before his hype flames out, but I just don’t like it. I know fan interest is a huge component when it comes to match making, and I think it rightfully should be (after all, the UFC is a pro sport which is all about entertainment), but there should be reasonable limits and I think it sometimes becomes way too financially driven.