While both men may have their hands full in the coming months, UFC welterweights Diego Sanchez and Carlos Condit could eventually cross paths down the road depending on how 2012 plays out. Though the two are teammates at Greg Jackson’s gym in New Mexico, Sanchez recently made it clear there is no controversy to be had when it comes to the possibility of the training partners facing off inside the Octagon with a title on the line.
Straying from the attitude causing a rift between Jon Jones-Rashad Evans, as well as the one seeing Evans refuse to face Keith Jardine a few years back, Sanchez spoke to The MMA Hour earlier this week where he said he’s already discussed such a scenario with “The Natural Born Killer”.
“We’ve all talked about this, the coaches, me and Carlos, we are absolutely fine fighting each other,” said the original Ultimate Fighter. “We both want UFC gold, that’s what we want for our family and have always wanted even as little kids, we have always wanted this. We are willing to do that.”
He also made it clear he wouldn’t pull any punches against Condit and would expect the same treatment in return, stating, “Me and Carlos would be a war; we both know our strengths and weaknesses and it would be a great fight. If it happens, it happens.”
Up next for “The Dream” is a February 15 date with top contender Jake Ellenberger in headlining action at UFC on Fuel 1. Comparably, Condit has been embroiled in the fallout from his hard-fought, albeit awfully close decision win over Nick Diaz this past Saturday night.
PHOTO CREDIT – UFC