Georges St. Pierre willing to give up championship to fight Nick Diaz

Yes, you read the headline correctly.

While UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre has not come out to officially say he’d be willing to relinquish his rights to the title in order to fight polarizing rival Nick Diaz, it appears he has mentioned he’s open to doing so in private company.

The shocking revelation came Tuesday evening as part of UFC Tonight where host Kenny Florian, who is friends with GSP and trains with him at TriStar, said the currently injured St. Pierre brought it up over dinner after watching Carlos Condit outpoint Diaz last weekend at UFC 143.

Condit earned a shot at St. Pierre with the victory though it may be in vain if “Rush” follows through on his comments by giving up his belt to settle the score with Diaz. During the build up to the Diaz-Condit bout GSP expressed his desire to see Diaz win after the Stockton scrapper called him out after beating B.J. Penn in his previous Octagon appearance.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Paulo says:

Now personally, I thought Diaz won the fight taking rounds 1,2, and 5. I won’t cry about it and I accept that it was a close fight and can understand why people thought Condit one. That being said, I’d want to be the last guy on earth to fight Condit next. Half the fans have overlooked him and give him no respect, the Diaz camp isn’t giving him respect, and now the champ isn’t giving him respect by saying something like this. I know a fan’s mentality is you’re only as good as your last fight, and Condit may have “ran” a little too much against Diaz. But having watched Condit fight over the years, I can say he’s a killer and tries to finish. This whole fiasco has got to eating at him with the fans, Diaz, and now George. I’m afraid may actually cause the first UFC fight related death with his next opponent just to make the point that people should start respecting him.

• Well said. Condit might really live up to that whole Natural Born Killer moniker should people keep over looking him.

• Lord Faust says:

Paulo – you did a great job summing up my thoughts, after stewing on the outcome of that fight for the past 5 days. I still say Condit loses to GSP, but you’re right — I think a big part of the anger is because no one expected him to look any good against Nick.

• hindsightufuk says:

again i pretty much agree with everything Paulo said, i would have scored 1 2 & 5 to Nick, and although i am a huge Diaz fan it was a fight neither guy won nor lost and could have gone either way.
    i also love watching Carlos fight, and my only disappointment was that he used his brains this time instead of just proving he is a hardcore fighter who can truly beat people, and not out point them.
    but, i dont blame him for fighting that way, dude just won a title(ish)

i’m over this whole thing… whatever.

• AlphaOmega says:

Does anyone else think it’s kinda low for KenFlo to bring it up on tv when GSP was just saying it over dinner? That’d be like my friend saying he would like to get with the waitress because she’s hot, but I don’t go running to his wife to tell her that he said something like that in passing.

• I never thought about that but I guess it kinda is rude…by then again Kenny is now a journalist while he awaits his possible return……..so that is newsworthy. Kinda his job to report interesting tidbits such as this one.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Who is overlooking Condit? If anyone is overlooking Condit they are an idiot. I dont think ANYONE has for years.

• twodragunns says:

I can’t believe how some fans are giving Diaz round 5 in his fight with Diaz ……. Carlos beat Diaz to the punch repeatedly in the 5th round and Nick got his back with exactly 1:20 left in the fight. So for 3:40 minutes of the 5th round Diaz got beat and then he gets Carlos back, but Condit defended Diaz’s sub attempts quite easily. I’ve watched and scored this fight 5 times now in HD and I’ve scored it 48-47 Condit every time and I’m being generous to Diaz. People need to stop belly aching about Diaz losing this interim WW title …….. I also heard that Nick tested positive for cannabis use once again.

• twodragunns says:

I can’t believe how some fans are giving Diaz round 5 in his fight with Diaz ……. ooops I meant Condit ….. typos suck.