Cesar Gracie says rematch between Diaz-Condit is no longer taking place

The roller-coaster ride of the proposed rematch between Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz continues as now word has surfaced saying it is no longer a go, at least according to Diaz’s head trainer Cesar Gracie.

UFC President Dana White recently reported an immediate rematch between Diaz and current UFC interim welterweight champion Condit would be scheduled to take place before Georges St. Pierre returned from injury. Just as quickly as the rematch was reported, rumors started that someone from either Diaz or Condit had decided against the bout.

According to a report by MMAJunkie it may have been Gracie himself who nixed things though he did not offer much more than to say the match would not go down, leaving those around the MMA world to sit and wonder.

Gracie’s comments are just the latest in a string of twists and turns surrounding the scrap. Condit is still expected to be in Las Vegas on Friday to meet with White. Until then fans will continue to have to wait and see what happens next if anything at all.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Rumors flying around that Diaz got popped for the sticky icky…

• hindsightufuk says:

mmm people saying he failed the pre fight test?
    i hope he was blunted man
    i read that the increase of blood to the eyes from smoking weed (what cause the red eye) actually helps you take in more or see more. shit i cant remember the technical terms, i smoked way to much for over 20 years my brain is like haggis. but something to do with the stimulation cause by the lncreased blood flow, fucked if i can remember

I smoked everyday for like 6 years…and I’m a lil burnt I can’t imagine a 20 year run God Bless you hindsight

• Niv says:

Well on a serious note, if Diaz isn’t getting a rematch because he was caught doing drugs, well he’s an even bigger idiot than I originally thought.

I love him as a fighter, I think he’s tough as nails but the term “Strong like Bull and smart like Ox” comes to mind.

For his sake I hope that’s not the case, I’d like to see a re-do of this fight myself, it was close enough that a definitive result would be in order.

• Lord Faust says:

Same.

And in this case it would be “strong like bull, smart like truck.”

• Richard Stabone says:

Eh, I’ll set aside the drug rumors until it’s substantiated.

I could see Diaz’s camp reassessing the situation and deciding maybe it’d be better not to fight Carlos again. Not suggesting that Nick is scared of him at all or that he’s incapable of beating him, but Condit is just not a very favorable matchup for Nick. I’d have to think they’d prefer to face someone like Ellenberger instead, who will almost certainly be willing to fight more of Nick’s style of fight. And that would figure to be a #1 contender matchup, determining who will face the winner of Condit-GSP.

This of course assumes two things…

1) Ellenberger beats Diego.

2) The UFC will respect Carlos’ decision to wait an extra few months for the GSP matchup.

This, to me, is the most logical scenario anyway.

• MCM says:

Does nobody think that Diaz might have been serious when he said he “didn’t need this shit” and retired?
    He’s been complaining about wrestlers for years and now that he’s lost, that’s all that’s left in the division. I’m not saying he’s scared of anyone, but I think he recognizes that guys like Fitch, Kos, Ellenberger, Hendrix, Pierce, Story, Hathaway, etc., could all pretty easily walk away with dec. victories over him without, what he would consider, actually fighting.
    Maybe he was caught with an illegal substance in his system, maybe he wasn’t. But maybe he’s just tired of decisions and just doesn’t see any other way out.

• Lord Faust says:

MCM makes a lot of sense. Maybe he’d rather count his money, run his school, and puff his hippie lettuce. Unless he’s foolish with his money, I can’t see Nick *needing* to keep fighting. It’s hard to say. I really hope this doesn’t turn into another Sonnen / Silva-esque scenario.

• Richard Stabone says:

Nick’s money management skills are probably not airtight, given the constant talk of financial woes and his driving crappy Honda, even after making significant $$ in the fight game over the years. So while he *should* be pretty well set financially at this point, coming off his two most recent UFC bouts where he had to have cleared 7 figures, I doubt that’s the case. At least not long term. So assuming he can pass the commission, he’d be foolish to walk away now when he’s assured at least one more huge payday in the UFC.

But with the way Nick was brought back, making huge $$ and being given immediate title fights, his bubble is gonna burst sooner than later. If he loses his next bout he’ll bounce.

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah, I can’t tell if Nick’s money gripes are real, or contrived posturing. Then again, I don’t think anyone knows what goes through his head; even Cesar seems to guess most of the time.