Nick Diaz tests positive for marijuana use

UFC fighter Nick Diaz has tested positive for having marijuana in his system in the wake of a match-up against Carlos Condit at UFC 143. News of the result was revealed via a NSAC email.

Diaz lost by unanimous decision to Condit in the main event of the card, as “The Natural Born Killer” claimed the interim UFC welterweight title.

Rumors of a possible Diaz-Condit rematch were being talked about on Wednesday. Cesar Gracie, the manager and head trainer for Diaz reported that there would be no rematch, and added he had no further comment.

Diaz, who announced his retirement from MMA inside the Octagon following the loss, also tested positive for marijuana back in 2007 following his win over Takanori Gomi. He was fined $3,000 and suspended for six months as a result. As a second offender he could receive a full year this time around.

When asked for comment on the matter, UFC President Dana White responded that he was “beyond disappointed”.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

The sad part is that hard drugs would be gone from his system in 24-48 hours, meanwhile pot will stay there for weeks.

• DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well lets see how this goes…it doenst change the results of the fight, but it sure does put a damper on a rematch.

• G-DUB says:

This news is whatever. We all know that it’s BS, but a million fans petitioning isn’t going to make a difference with the suspension. See you in a year Nick …. enjoy your “retirement”. Toke up.

• Lord Faust says:

If they changed the Gomi fight to a no contest, shouldn’t precedent dictate the same thing with this fight? Not that I WANT that, but I am seriously trying to figure out what’s going to happen.

That’s all we need is another division FUBAR’ed for another ~year, with a champion on the sidelines with an injury.

Hopefully common sense will prevail. Yes, pot is illegal — at the federal level — but not where Nick lives, and it’s not like it’s a PED, nor did he win the fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

Since he didn’t win I don’t think anything will happen, but I’m not sure. Anyone think that when he comes back in a yr, itll be after gsp is back and he will get an instant shot at him, title or no?

• MCM says:

Faust- If Nick won the fight, I’m sure they’d change it. As it stands I doubt it. Also, Pot is “legal” in CA but the fight was in Nevada, totally illegal there.

and I stole this from another forum…

Melvin Guillard says:
    “MARIJUANA IS NOT WORTH A SUSPENSION! I USE TO TEST POSITIVE FOR COCAINE! THAT’S A SUSPENSION MAN!”

• Richard Stabone says:

Yeah, like MCM said, Nick lost the fight so as far as his failed test is concerned it has no bearing on the fight’s outcome.

When Leben got popped for Oxy after he lost to Munoz, it’s not like that took away from the fact Munoz won. Nor does this from Condit.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about marijuana (I believe it should be legalized) the painfully simple fact of the matter is it’s on the banned list with the athletic commission. So with everything that’s at stake, knowing full well what the rules are, it’s irresponsible & disrespectful to the sport to keep toking.

I mean, he’s got plenty of time to do that shit on his own time. Nick has said he can clear his system in 8 days. So either he miscalculated with this latest bout, or maybe he just caved to all the pressure & smoked during the week of the actual fight. Either way, he’s an idiot. Tough dude, very good fighter, but a damned fool.

• JabCrossHook says:

I heard Joe Rogan say that it takes him 10 days to clean out his system, anyway this fucking sucks for Diaz.

• Lord Faust says:

Any actual medical literature I’ve read has stated that it takes approximately 2 weeks to be absolutely certain. I’ve heard so many stupid “flush out” tips from people hoping to pass drug tests for various reasons, none made much sense to me. Piss all you want, it’s not going to get it out of your body fat.

• BigDave says:

Ok,

I know I will be flamed for this by all you Diaz fans but here goes.

Diaz first off is dumber then a bag of dirt and is 100% bad for the sport. The guy has never won a fight when stepping up in talent and should have never been near a #1 contenders match. Now I know what your going to say ” he beat bj penn!” Yes he did, he beat an over wheight out of shape 155er who looked like he had no disire to fight at all.

Ok now i know what your thinking “but BigDave he won 11 straight coming into the fight!” Yes that is a fact too. here is a list of those guys he beat. BJ Penn, Paul Daley, Evangelista Santos, KJ Noons(who he also lost to), Hayato Sakurai, Marius Žaromskis, Scott Smith, Frank Shamrock, Thomas Denny, Muhsin Corbbrey. and Katsuya Inoue. Only 1 of these fighters have been ranked in the top 5 BJ Penn and that was not at 170.

He has fans because of his stupid antics but for true fans of the sport they all see that this punk doesn’t deserve to be in a top fight in the UFC. Now I hate the guy and his retarded brother that is well known but i’ve just shown the reasons for my point just based on in cage performence, I didn’t even bring up the fact he has now failed 2 drug tests plus was not licensed to fight in a title fight in strikeforce in 2009 for not showing up to a drug test. Has missed press confrences for fights has started brawls in the ring after fights, and has generally been a piece of shit as a sportsman.

I for one hope he stays retired but I know he will be back after his 1 year suspension Im expecting to see him get for this incident, but at that point I think he needs to earn any kind of shot he may get in the future and I don’t just mean by beating top competition but by fallowing the rules.

For me he has already run out of chances but I am not Dana White or the brass at the UFC so We will just have to wait and see what happens.

• Lord Faust says:

It’s a lot harder to agree with some of your points when you consider a kid with a speech impediment to be “retarded”. I also think you’re underselling his fighting skills.

• thomaswhigham says:

I really hope Dana just ignores the Nevada commission and lets Diaz fight somewhere that the suspension is invalid. Marijuana is not a performance enhancer and I like watching Diaz fight. The only other person who can and will drop their hands when fighting one of the best strikers on Earth is Anderson Silva. Regardless of if you think Diaz won, getting kicked in the face by Condit and seeing him wipe his nose, snort with derision, and go back to walking forward was bad $@%, like something from a movie. It was great entertainment. More Condit and More Diaz. Posted this on a few sites but wanted to add my support to this.

• MickeyC says:

This Sucks! I don’t care how you saw the last fight. With Diaz out the weight calls just got softer. The biggest bummer is since diaz is in CA he probably has a medical perscription. I know some commissions overlook small levels of testostirone inhancers if a fighter has a doctors perscription, should be the same for this in my opinion. As far as flushing your system, it depends on Body mass and fat percentage. Alot of the chemicals in pot that show on a test resinate in fatty tissue and glands. Real Bummer.

• LiverPunch says:

Ive said it before and I will say it again, they shouldnt even test for weed. I mean it is insane. They should do a swab test which gives you an indication if they are on it during the fight but if he smoked 500 big fat gorrilla finger doobies 2 weeks ago it has nothing to do with anybody but Diaz and his drug dealer. Oh well I hope he spends his time off learning leg checks.

• danw84 says:

you know, people pussyfoot around it, but the fact is: nick diaz is an idiot. he’s just stupid.

that’s all.

• hindsightufuk says:

i’m sure if nick went to a slightly more privilaged school they would have picked up on whatever condition it is he has.
    he isnt just dumb, he has learning and social disabilities. i worked with kids with autism, tourettes (not the funny kind), aspergers etc and Nick shows some similar behavioural and attitude traits.
    i genuinely dont think he and his brother are just dumb.
    and going along with Faust, calling someone a retard for having a speech impediment makes me want to kick the back of your skull through your mouth.

with reagrds to the weed, its fucking weed, unelss he’s toking in the dressing room or between rounds it aint helping him do shit.
    if the ufc stick behind Leben, Sonnen, Sherk, Franca, Sylvia etc, i fucking hope they stick behind Diaz for a little herb

I understand where everyone who says “it’s just weed” is coming from if this wasn’t testing for a major sport promotion trying to elevate it’s status in main stream with each card and taking place in a state where more cards are held yearly then anywhere else…
    If this was basketball, baseball or any other sport the athlete would get some sort of punishment/ suspension so I don’t see any excuses for this… it is what is.
    It’s so stupid to defend any type of Drug or PED usage… if it’s against the regulations/laws then it’s punishable if you do it… it’s very black & white i don’t see why there is so many ppl looking for a grey reasoning.

… on occasion I audit the drug testing standards for my employer… the members whom are being tested are tested for illegal drugs as well as things that may be in a Rx or even a PED , BUT if your fail regardless of what not acceptable item you put in you it’s the same punishment… zero tolerance why shouldn’t a sanctioned sport be any different?

• JBAR says:

I am not even going to get in to the weed debate and I could give 2 shits less about it being legal in Cali. There are a lot of over the counter legal meds that are on the banned list. It does not matter why they are on the list, they are on the list and any professional fighter who wishes to compete has to abide by those rules. Like it or not that is the way it is until it is changed.

There are places where I disagree with the speed limit but I know if I exceed it I run the risk of a ticket. The difference is that driving is not my profession, this is Nick’s job and he is supposed to be a professional but he always seems to fall short in this respect. If this is the lifestyle he chooses then more power to him but would it be asking too much to lay off the shit a month before the fight so there would be no chance of failing the test? That would be the professional thing to do in my mind, when it comes to my job I leave nothing to chance.

hindsightufuk – My part time gig is to perform Quality Assurance inspections/ visits to group homes which consists of a population of ppl afflicted with many of the disabilities you mentioned above as well as many worse health conditions… So I can understand where your coming from…
    Your not the first and won’t be the last person to mention Diaz and Aspbergers in the same conversation and I agree with you that there is very good reason to believe whatever his condition is he remains undiagnosed… I think he is so high functioning with all his abilities on display constanly that most ppl would never dig any deeper then he’s a talented guy with some social anxieties… But there is more there. I’m not a fan of Nick but after seeing the primetime series I realized he’s not just a dick or a burn out with social anxieties, there’s more to his sometimes bizarre puzzle.

• fitfreak says:

This shouldn’t affect anything since he wanted to retire anyway. That’s what he gets for being an ungrateful ass. At least we can get some new matchups now.

I don’t care what type of condition(s) he may have. He’s smart enough to know what the rules are, and he continues to blatantly ignore them. Then he has the audacity to bitch about not making enough money. Nick, man up for a change, and don’t blame your problems on everyone else.

I love to watch him fight, but it’s hard to get behind someone like that as a person.

• Angry Mike says:

Sure he’s talented, but he’s not top tier, at least not yet. He’s already had more chances than many fighters, and he’s still screwing up. The sport and Zuffa can go on without him, and they will. Perhaps not yet, but they will eventually.

• Niv says:

Diaz is many things, maybe he does have a disabilty, maybe he doesn’t and is just an idiot who smokes too much weed, but one thing you can’t deny is that he’s a world class fighter.

I’m tired of listening to all the hate where it’s so blind to sell his skills short, I’m just sad we won’t see a re-do on this fight as I have a feeling the second match would have probably lived up to the hype of the 1st.

Hindsight, if you read Faust’s commentary closely I believe he was calling Big Dave out for referring to Diaz as a retard. I’m not sure if I am not understanding that but I believe he was defending Diaz.

• Richard Stabone says:

Well it’s pretty safe to say everyone who steps in the octagon is a world class fighter. I mean, the UFC is clearly the pinnacle of mixed martial arts, so to reach that level speaks for itself.

So I don’t think anyone (worth taking seriously) would dispute for a second that Diaz–even relative to the best in the world– is a very good fighter, with solid all around skills and remarkable toughness/chin.

The people who aren’t willing to give Nick his credit, out of emotional dislike & bias towards the guy, aren’t worth taking seriously anyway. But on the flipside there are tons of people who, IMO, rate Nick much higher than his actual accomplishments would suggest. That’s part of what makes Diaz so polarizing. Love him or hate him, there’s plenty of noise on both sides.

His best win is probably Gomi. His dismantling of BJ was impressive, but Penn is notoriously shaky at WW. And beyond that, he has some nice wins over fringe contenders like Daley & Lawler. In totality, Nick’s resume aint bad at all. But I just don’t see it stacking up with some of the truly elite fighters.

With Nick, you have to squint pretty hard to find a victory over a top-10 fighter on his resume. I’m not suggesting he doesn’t have the skills to potentially reach the top, but until he actually beats some of the top welterweights in the UFC, I just can’t justify his top contender status. As with any pro sport, it’s all about results & achieving those results against the top competition. Nick hasn’t done that yet, and sitting on the sidelines getting baked isn’t going to help his cause.

• LiverPunch says:

Rich he hasnt had an opportunity against “the elite” so you cant judge him on that at all. Besides it is often seen that “the elite” are just the best in the UFC and not always the best. Daley was in a contenders fight in the UFC and has ranked in the top 10 & so was Penn. Diaz is a top 5. He outstrikes strikers and has some of the best BJJ around so no matter where the fight is he is very dangerous. Condit is a great striker with power but his camp didnt want to trade with Diaz or take him down. They came up with a game plan to run and kick Diaz in the legs because Diaz wont check them. It worked and they out pointed him. Wahoo thanks Jacksons.

• Richard Stabone says:

I’m judging him on what he’s actually accomplished inside the cage. Call me crazy.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

Doesn’t really deal with the drug issue, but from a fight perspective, this is kind of hard to argue with in regards to Diaz v Condit… http://www.overhand-right.blogspot.com

• LiverPunch says:

Richard…pffft. You are not judging him on what he has accomplished in the cage, if you were you would be judging him on wins over top ten fighters Penn, Lawler, Daley, Gomi (#1) and Zaromskis (yes he was top ten) along with wins over Neer, Sakurai, Tibau, Shamrock, Smith and Noons. I mean call me crazy but this site had him as #2 leading into this fight. Richard I read your comments and you were hating on Diaz, calling his punches weak shit etc. You are not judging him on what he does in the cage so I guess Im calling you crazy. Dont pretend you are judging Diaz fairly.

• LiverPunch says:

Look up other contenders records, have they beaten 5 top tens including a #1 in their careers Richard? Like I said you cant judge him on performance in the UFC when he hasnt been in the UFC. BJ is sooo shaky at WW! He lost to Hughes and GSP along with Diaz. However he won the WW championship drew with the world #2 and beat the world #1. Now thats shaky. Now when I squint I count 5 top 10s am I right? I think so.

• king mah mah says:

Hahahahahahaha! So the pot has weared off and the champions have been exposed! NOT!!!!! Smoking pot has nothing to do with fighting. If anything it hinders fighters reaction/judgement. The fact that Diaz was able to walk through Condit’s assault is all the more laughable seeing as how most of you people are straight edge!!!

Marijuana is a sedative for the most part. So anyone trying to claim he had an unfair advantage is just crazy! Diaz walked through the best Condit had to offer. Condit ran away from a pothead! That’s some weak ass shit!! What a pussy Condit is!!!!!! He can’t even beat a weakened fighter who is addicted to pot!!!! WOW! Doesn’t sound like a ELITE fighter to me!

• LiverPunch says:

Big Bad Bull the guy that wrote that article is an idiot. The examples he gives for agression and octagon control are so lame. He tries to play those aspects down because they are not good for his argument stating that agression is about being angry or that octagon control is “I want him to stand there”. He also insults fighters who disagree with him calling them dancers and insulting their intellagence. I have read many comments from fighters just as annoyed with Condits actions as her.
    Bad link, that guy is a clown. This guy tries to play down everything in favor of Diaz and play up everything in favor of Condit. No shit Condit had a gameplan and stuck to it but his gameplan involved running away, not trading punches, not taking him down, not being aggressive, not clinching, back peddling, not trying to finish, staying at distance, leg kicking and running. The issue is not if he had a gameplan but how his gameplan was barely within the spirit of fighting and if it actually worked in his favor, if he did actually win when Diaz won 2 & 5 imo without a doubt and with 1 & 3 Diaz was pushing the fight moving forward landing more punches and Condit was backing up and running. The agression and octagon rules were put in there to stop this kind of stuff. I think the judges forgot about it. He wasnt Starnes but his gameplan was not really within the spirit of an MMA match. In that link he says the point of matial arts is to deliver damage while taking as little as possible. This is partialy true. Jon Jones, Fedor, Anderson Silva and others delivered damage without taking too much but they never ran or had such negative gameplans. Besides, BJJ, Judo, boxing, wrestling and sambo are all martial arts but with many of them the kind of gameplan Condit employed would be fruitless. The spirit of martial arts does not favor Condit over Diaz imo.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah king Mah Mah whenever I am going to fight I smoke a few bongs first. What a joke. For me this is just as stupid as suspending a guy for having a beer 2 weeks before fighting. Why is it even on the list of banned substances? I get toasted before I play x box but it doesnt make it any easier. The weight cut would be harder! Diaz has prolly been living on Reeses pieces and twinkies for the last few months. Im surprised he doesnt come in looking like the fat man Big Country. Actually test Roy, I bet he smokes plenty of chronic and washes it down with four dozen Big Macs. See and Roys performance is definately not enhanced.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Oh hey guys lets see Condit do that running shit in a square ring. No way would he be able to run like he did last weekend. Pride rules in a square ring = better fights.

• AlphaOmega says:

No Disciplinary Sanction Warranted For Diaz Under A Principled Interpretation Of NAC 467.850

Not Warranted… But that doesn’t mean they won’t proceed any way.

This also isn’t his first offense in this states’ commission…plus he wasn’t on the undercard in a regional promo, it was the main event of a highly publicized UFC card, that makes the commisions stance that more harder to soften up.