Unnamed fighter at UFC 143 tests positive for drug use

The plot has thickened concerning the on again, off again rematch between welterweights Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit, as the Nevada State Athletic Commission has confirmed at least one athlete who fought at UFC 143 tested positive for a banned substance.

While nothing has surfaced where specifics are concerned, it has been rumored that Diaz may have been popped for THC, the active drug in marijuana, again as he did once before in Las Vegas five years ago after a bout with Takanori Gomi. However, his status is little more than speculation at this point.

What is certain is that details are set to emerge later today in a follow-up email from the NSAC while some remaining tests are done.

If Diaz is the fighter in question it might explain his manager/trainer Cesar Gracie’s recent statements saying a rematch with Condit is off despite UFC President Dana White announcing it had been agreed to verbally.

• Richard Stabone says:

Well I guess there’s definitely smoke to this story now. (heh heh…get it?)

I’m not a smoker/toker myself, and I think the stuff should be legalized, but at the same time it shouldn’t be that difficult of a task to play by the rules. When eligibility in your chosen profession depends on it & millions of dollars are at stake, grow the fuck up & abstain for a few days.

Nick seemingly can’t function without the stuff. It’s a little sad.

• AlphaOmega says:

If it was Diaz, I’m curious if he will get the same punishment that anyone else getting busted for illegal substance will get, or if it’ll be lighter since it’s not a PED.

• AlphaOmega says:

Or really even if it wasn’t Diaz, I’m still curious about that.

• Lord Faust says:

I feel like I’m being trolled, WWE style, ever since the end of the main event last Saturday.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

The latest ride at UFC Land – “The Diaz-Condit Roller Coaster”!

• Lord Faust says:

It’s like Space Mountain, but with more pot and leg kicks.

• Dont forget body shots

• MCM says:

Looks like it is Diaz that tested positive for weed. Guess that retirement thing might be true after all.

• Richard Stabone says:

Yep, to absolutely no one’s surprise, it’s official.

• Lord Faust says:

His new nickname is thusly “Afro Man”.

I coulda had a rematch, but I didn’t, because I got high….