Dan Henderson not waiting for winner of bout between Rashad Evans-Jon Jones

When Rashad Evans outpointed Phil Davis at UFC on FOX 2 and exited the match-up in relatively good health the mystery surrounding who light heavyweight Jon Jones would defend his title against next was solved. However, the question about equally deserving contender Dan Henderson’s future remained unanswered.

Henderson, who solidified his standing as a top challenger with an exciting win over Mauricio Rua in November, recently opened up on his plan for 2012 in a conversation with ESPN where he explained it’s never been his intention to wait for Jones-Evans to settle their score.

“That was never what I said or anything,” said the former Strikeforce/DREAM champion. “I don’t know who said that, but it wasn’t me. My thoughts were I was waiting to see what happened with Rashad and Phil Davis. That was the only thing I was going to wait for.”

“Obviously you can’t guarantee that nobody gets hurt,” he added, alluding to the possibility of stepping in as a replacement for Jones or Evans, continuing, “I don’t know what the plan is, but I’d fight whoever it is they think would be a good match-up. The problem is there’s really nobody right now who fits the bill for a title contention fight; that would make sense to fight me. I don’t know. Maybe I’d fight at a different weight class. I don’t know if they see anybody at heavyweight that would make sense? But I would prefer to fight someone in April or May.”

The idea of a heavyweight tilt is certainly enticing given Henderson’s success against Fedor Emelianenko though, as he admitted, there aren’t a lot of names jumping out at him as being something fans might want to see. The 41-year old also mentioned a rematch with Quinton Jackson as a possibility pending the outcome of Jackson’s bout against Ryan Bader at UFC 144.

With Henderson on the record the ball now appears to be in the UFC’s court. What match-up they’ll throw back remains to be seen though, clearly, “Hendo” is ready for the challenge as long as it makes sense and fans are interested in seeing it go down.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/STRIKEFORCE

Gotta love Hendo… still has a few more great fights in him, I’d love to see him with UFC gold.

• He turned down a fight with Lil Nog….which I dont blame him for, that’s a recipe for him to lose his place in line after last time….but I’d love to see that fight

• MCM says:

I like the Rampage rematch, but Dan is right. There are no good options right now to move up the ladder. If he just wants a fight, give him Vlady or rematch with Franklin since that was such a close fight. But neither of those will move him up much, just keep him busy till Rashad/Jones is settled.

• MCM says:

I agree with him turning down the Lil Nog fight. If Rashad lost, he would have gotten the next shot at Jones. As it stands now, he just needs a win to hold his place in line.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Too bad Cro Cop’s career is essentially over. That might be a fun fight for nostalgia’s sake against a smallish HW.

• Richard Stabone says:

Given the lack of viable options, and how damn exciting/competitive the first one was, I wouldn’t mind seeing a rematch with Shogun. Problem is, if Shogun came out the victor it would really spoil things. Not just Hendo’s title shot, but also the fact no one is itching to see Jones-Rua again.

• THEGUNNER says:

I woulnt mind seeing jones vs a healtier rua bit for hendo I say give him sonnen a rematch between him and spyda sounds good to.

• Screenplaya says:

How about a catch-weight rematch with Jake Shields? That would be a blemish that would be nice to remove from Hendo’s resume. But, I would think a Rampage rematch would be better.

• Lord Faust says:

I don;t think Shields would be a good fight simply because he’s 0-2 so far; if Hendo crushes him, he’s looking pretty bad, and if Hendo loses then it really messes up his potential for a title shot. I’d love to see him fight Jones. I would also love to see a rematch with Rampage.

• I got two words….PAT BARRY! forget about him and lavar…how awesome would that be?!

• MCM says:

what about Tito? It sends Tito into retirement and is a big name for Hendo. Tito still pulls solid PPV numbers so from a marketing stand point, why not?

• Lord Faust says:

Because Tito knows Dan can crush even his giant melon.

• MCM says:

yeah, but it’s his last fight. Why not make it a co-headliner (cause they still can) and go out with an extra fat paycheck.

• Richard Stabone says:

“Yeah, but it’s his last fight. Why not make it a co-headliner (cause they still can) and go out with an extra fat paycheck.”

That sentiment has already applied to about 3 or 4 fights, as far as I’m concerned. I won’t completely pile on Tito, but that fight would be a waste of time for Hendo. Hell, I’m feeling somewhat that way about Rampage. Give him Shogun again.

• Lord Faust says:

I think if Rampage makes a good showing in Japan, there will be more interest. As it stands right now, I agree that rematch is not very exciting especially since their first contest was a pretty low-tempo battle.

The Shogun rematch would be awesome but, as has been said, a Shogun win (which is not out of the realm of possibility by any stretch) would just mess everything up. If Jones dispatches Evans, there’s no one left with a good streak going that is a credible threat.

• LiverPunch says:

Big Nog. Its 1 a piece and both are legends.
    Tito should be fighting in a regional show . 1 win from his last 8 is a joke. To give the guy who is arguably #2 in the world a fight with a guy who has won 1 fight in the last 5 and 1/2 years is not good.
    Condit should take note. Hendo is going to fight and so should you. Sure your calves might be tight from all that back peddling but that should mend after a few weeks, unlike your reputation. The best way to mend that is to fight..I said to fight Condit and not to run away I like many others can see the diffenence.

• Richard Stabone says:

Condit picks up a close win in the interim title bout while Nick will be sitting on the sidelines for the next year getting baked… and Condit is the one who should be taking notes? Only in the warped mind of Diaz & his loyal followers…

• LiverPunch says:

Yeah Rich he should sit out and wait. Whats that got to do with Diaz? Whatever. Im sure you block every mention of of Condits conduct with mention of Diaz. If that helps you out and makes you feel better good luck with that but I dont think any fighter deserves a title shot if they have to wait for 10 months to get it.
    Speaking of warped minds, I think supporting a fighter not fighting is pretty fucking warped. If that floats your boat Rich, watch golf, they dont fight there and reading your comments not fighting sounds like your thing.

• hey LP Condit outlanded Diaz in oh I dunno EVERYROUND except the second almost two to one….so how was he not fighting?

• MCM says:

The Tito fight is basically “busy work” and a paycheck at this point. But I like the Big Nog match too.

• LiverPunch says:

Umm I dunno by SITTING OFOR TEN MONTHS AND NOT FIGHTING like I was saying. If we are talking about the fight guys like you crack me up. All of the talk and general negative opinion of fans, fighters, coaches and trainers is all lies and Condit didnt run. He ran and around half of his strikes were leg kicks at distance and as soon as Diaz closed the distance he ran away and set at a distance for more little jabs at Diaz legs. You can argue he outstruck diaz but what he did was outpoint Diaz based on Diazs refusal to check leg kicks. Why superdave, do you think all of those fighters and coaches are so appalled at Condits gameplan and its mainly guys like yourself that hate Diaz that think Condit didnt run? I have my theories. Go on read up on what other top fighters think, read up what some of the coaches (not Condits coaches) think. You will find that most impartial fans, fighters coaches and insiders dont agree with the decision or the tactics.

• LiverPunch says:

Speaking of outstriking. In Ruas loss to Machida, Rua outstruck Machida by at least 2-1 in every rd. At the end of the fight Rua had landed over twice the strikes and had lost. At the end of the Condit vs Diaz fight it was 6-8 in favor of Condit (about 120-160) but Diaz had the takedowns, agression, octagon control, passes and sub attempts. Also approx half of Condits strikes were leg kicks, many of them weak, at distance or moving backwards. I dont see the point of arguing for Condits tactics. Im sure none of you would want fighting to go down that path and I for 1 think if it ever did they would change the rules because it isnt in the spirit of the sport. Come on, Diaz came to fight and Condit didnt.