UFC looking at Memorial Day Weekend event for Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem

Last night UFC executive Lorenzo Fertitta appears to have potentially spilled the beans regarding the date/location of Junior dos Santos‘  upcoming defense of his heavyweight title against Alistair Overeem.

While talking with fans on his Twitter account, Fertitta said that the UFC was looking at JDS-Overeem for UFC 146 on May 26 from Las Vegas, Nevada. The Memorial Day Weekend tag would make sense considering the show’s annual standing as one of the organization’s biggest.

Dos Santos (14-1) won the heavyweight title by defeating Cain Velasquez late in 2011, scoring a first round knockout of the former undefeated champion. He has been on the sidelines since recovering from knee surgery.

Overeem (36-11) made an impact in his UFC debut, knocking out ex-champ Brock Lesnar at UFC 141 to secure the #1 position in the division. “The Reem” is a former Strikeforce heavyweight champ, along with holding titles in several other organizations, and has finished 34 of the 36 opponents he’s beaten.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• LiverPunch says:

I think Overeem should win this. But it is very dangerous for him. If I was his camp I would be working on the clinch. For me that is where Overeem has a massive advantage. If Overeem can push Jr back and then clinch or take him down, its going to be all Overeem but if Overeem decides to stay on the outside and throw power it could be Jr with his hand raised if he lands a solid counter. Despite what others say, I see Overeem being the far better striker but unlike in K1 those gloves dont allow as many glancing blows or counters to be taken. Overeem has far more ways to win this but it would not be a huge surprise if Jr won. Ive got Overeem via tko though.

• Richard Stabone says:

Overeem wins this one, setting up my current dream HW bout between he & Cain.

Jumping way ahead of things, I’d lean slightly towards Cain in that one.

Dunno something makes me feel like JDS may surprise us yet again

• LiverPunch says:

I just hope we get at least 2 rds but it could last less than 20 secs.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

This is THE test for how good Jr is. If this fight goes 2 rds or more and Jr gets his hand raised I will be on the Jr bandwagon. With how quick these HWs rise through the ranks I doubt how good they really are. I mean I dont rate Carwin at all, I am skeptical about Valasquez and I really feel that Jr is yet to be truely tested. His wins over Struve, Nelson, Crocop and Yvel were good wins but not really that relevant. Werdum, Nog and Valasquez were taken out before any real fighting occured. Now before you say it, this doesnt mean a lot except he is yet to be tested in a pressure situation. O guess its like what some people think of Jon Jones. I just want to see Jr pushed in a battle with a good HW.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He didnt fight Nog. I know I know.