Cain Velasquez-Frank Mir match-up on the horizon

The UFC has tipped their hand in regards to determining the next contender in the heavyweight division when CEO Lorenzo Fertitta announced the organization was looking at putting a fight together in the coming months between former champions Cain Velasquez and Frank Mir. While Fertitta did not specifically say the winner would be considered the #1 challenger for the heavyweight crown the label is logical given the accomplishments of both.

No specifics in terms of location/date for the bout were mentioned.

Mir has picked up three straight wins since losing to Shane Carwin a little less than two years ago with the trio all coming in convincing fashion. The 16-5 Las Vegas native was last seen snapping Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira’s arm in their co-headlining clash at UFC 140 in December.

While Velasquez does not have the momentum of Mir’s winning streak, having lost the UFC belt to champ Junior dos Santos in November, he emerged with his hand raised in nine straight prior to the stumble including victories over Nogueira, Cheick Kongo, and Brock Lesnar.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• stone says:

Cain should have to get one more win if he beats Mir, before he gets a shot at the strap… If Mir beats Cain, fuck it…. Give him a title fight

Call me crazy but i Kinda like Mir’s chances

• MMA-LOGIC says:

This is a difficult fight for Mir on the feet. Cain is faster. Mir needs to clinch in this. Cain is not all he is hyped up to be imo so this is a big challenge for him too. I hope to see Big foot, Werdum and the other SF guys mixing it up with these guys soon.

• MCM says:

Agreed LOGIC. Cain has always been hyped beyond what his accomplishments warrant. I would have rather seen Mir/Big foot, but from a divisional stand point, this makes more sense for Frank.

I also agree with stone. Mir is title ready, Cain needs at least one more.

• Richard Stabone says:

I respect what Mir has been able to accomplish, particularly coming back from the career-threatening motorcyle wreck, but I feel he’s long been overrated. Cain is, IMO, the best HW who experienced his GSP-Serra moment taking the shot behind the ear (although obviously Cigano is much more accomplished than Serra), and I think he’ll soon bounce back and be holding the belt. Granted, he’s got a limited resume and I might be overrating him a bit… but he’s definitely better than Mir and should win that fight rather easily.

• Kamakosmo says:

I told you all to lock this fight in, I knew it was gonna happen. Now, I’ll go back to being wrong on just about everything else, thank you.

• king mah mah says:

Mir wins by compound fracture! Can’t wait to see it!