Georges St. Pierre: “I want to fight the best man, and the best man is Condit.”

UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre is finally speaking out on the fallout from last weekend’s main event match-up at UFC 143 between Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit. As has been beaten to death, Condit narrowly outpointed Diaz in the bout with many feeling the wrong outcome had been rendered. Plans for a rematch were in the works but quickly scrapped after Diaz tested positive for marijuana use, potentially putting him on the sidelines for a year.

Now that St. Pierre has had some time to reflect on things he has re-evaluated how interested he actually is in fighting Diaz, at least when it comes to an expected defense of his title in November.

“I want to fight the best man, and the best man is Condit,” said the 22-2 champion in an interview on Bruce Buffer‘s Sherdog show , adding emotion had clouded his judgment beforehand. Still, that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t mind settling the score with Diaz at some point down the road.

“As far as Diaz, of course I would like to fight him because he thinks he’s better than me (and) I think I’m better than him,” explained St. Pierre before turning talk to the controversial Californian’s future. “But I think he should not retire. He did all of the sacrifice in his life to be where he’s at right now. He’s at the highest point of his career, and if he retires now, he’s left a lot of money on the table that could pay for all of the sacrifices he has made during all those years. I think the sport of mixed martial arts needs a guy like him.”

Diaz has not commented since saying he was retiring from MMA after his disgust with the judges’ decision in his fight with Condit. The 28-year old was the more aggressive, less technical of the two this past Saturday night and paid for it with the defeat.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Chael Sonnen gets banned for cheating and using performance enhancing drugs, Nick gets banned for smoking a joint and playing x box.
    It is going to be harder for the UFC to sell this fight after “the killer” ran such a technical race last weekend. Condit may well be the fastest WW contender out there as GSP says though. I just fear that with that the two of them may eventually KO each other in a double KO. Both having trained at Jacksons they are both bound to run backwards into each other at some point. This fight may be so “technical” that the sound barrier could well be broken.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

NEWS FLASH!!!
    Usain Bolt just signed with Jacksons! Greg Jackson stating that “…Usain could well be the most technical fighter on the planet”.

Some fans should be accustomed with running because all they do is run there mouths day in and day out… And shit man that’s a lot longer then 5 rounds…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah I know what you mean. I hate those guys.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I know Im just joking. I know running isnt running if its your gameplan to run…for some reason.

Really logic? With good concious You can fully discount Condit just like that?.. after one fight of fighting to win rather then fighting to finish?? Go watch condits high lite reels on YouTube then tell me how much he relies on game plans & fighting safe… Don’t be part of thee adult influenced flock of sheep that is the typical mma fan… Come to your own conclusions.

Auto correct damn it…I meant… Don’t be part of the easily influenced flock of sheep

• MCM says:

I still don’t see how Diaz was the “aggressor” just cause he was walking forward, talking shit with his hands low. One would presume that the fighter throwing and landing the most strikes would be the aggressor. Then again, I’m stupid enough to think that Kampmann won against Sanchez. Guess I just value actually landing punches over talking. But I’m a weird MMA fan like that.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I have come to my conclusions and I hate lay n pray and so called technical fighters. I hate time wasting or running down the clock in other sports, I hate abusing the rules to win or avoiding a sporting contest. Always have. Condit is a good fighter that can finish but guess what? Last weekend that wasnt the Condit that turned up. I havnt written off Condit but Im going to make it damn clear that fighting “technical” fights where you avoid, out point, hold down, smother, take the contest out of the fight or RUN is not what sport is about. You find a way to win and can be as technical as you like but I for one want a sporting contest and not just one guy running away and out pointing by using the fact that Diaz doesnt check leg kicks as a way to avoid any real fight. Read what Munoz, Roufus, Rousey, McKenzie and many other fighters said. I have seen fights where “fighters” go in there with the gameplan to take down, stay tight, let up, takedown and repeat as a way to win. That is a winning gameplan but sooo negative. Its avoiding a fight and Rece its a fight. Back to Condit, he actually ran away, its not imaginary. Many times during the fight he ran away, turned around and ran. Now I think there are lots of fighters that could ein more by lay n pray or using so called “technical gameplans” but they go in to submit, tko, ko or at least try. You dont have to be Chris Leben. Im just as mad at the judging as I am at Jacksons. The way it is scored alows.teams like Jacksons to outpoint through negative gameplans. I thought agression and octagon control was in the scoring for this reason.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Im a bit weird too because Diaz wasnt just walking forward with his hands down. Diaz out punched Condit easily with far more strikes to the head and body. He WAS the aggressor and MCM you are well aware that Diaz was not just walking forward and was the aggressor. If not you are weird. Condits gameplan was to stay away and throw leg kicks, gather points and if Diaz moved forward to het away. That was his gameplan. Diaz was constantly pushing the fight, going for punches, takedowns etc. Condit never initiated any clinch, takedowns or moved forward for many significant attacks. So yeah if you think for 1 sec that Condit was the aggressor you are weird. I will say this again if the boot was on the other foot I would be pissed at Diaz for running, now as you Rece and MCM are official members of the I hate Diaz club, would you say Diaz fought a good fight. My theory is that you would have a different outlook.

So Logic….past & present Jacksons guys like Melvin Guillard, leonard Garcia
    Jon Jones, Clay Guida, Keith Jardine , Donald Cerrone, Andrei Arlovski , &
    Diego Sanchez all guys that didn’t bring it or go to war right? Just strategist and technical fighters looking to burn the clock n score a point here n there… Dude I’m not a fan of Jackson BUT your comment is just ignorant.

• MCM says:

Not only members, but we sit on the board of directors. ;)
    And yes, If the game plan to take out Condit was to use leg kicks and not get trapped against the cage (like the entire interwebz was saying to do to Diaz), and Diaz did the same thing, I Would be saying he won. In fact, I would be even more vocal about it cause it would have showed “smart” game planning by Diaz.
    I honestly had no problem with the fight. It wasn’t the slobber knocker people expected, but I enjoyed it when I saw it. I’ve seen a lot worse fights, and a lot worse judging, although the fallout from this fight made it a lot more interesting.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

GSP fights to not lose instead of win and if Condit brings same game plan as he did with Diaz we will have the greatest snooze feat in UFC history.

I fear it will make Kimbo Slice v Houston Alexander look like fight of the decade.

You may begin flaming.

Are u dimInIshing the greatness that was the kimboplex? Haha. I think condit can fight his usual fight against GSP because he doesn’t have to fear a flurry

Of strikes in Bunches lie he would have with Diaz.. I think he will be comfortable doing his usual thing

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Im not even going to read the comments and I will just leave it a few other people you may have heard of to say what the think

“If I wanted to see a man run for 25 minutes I’d go to a track meet,” wrote Strikeforce star Ronda Rousey on Twitter.

TUF fighter Cody Mckenzie agreed with that cutting remark, noting, “Wow really goes to show you how bad these judges suck. Carlos ran the entire time,” while Josh Neer added, “Carlos was doing the Forrest Gump #runforestrun.”

“@nickdiaz209 won that fight in my opinion,” UFC hall-of-famer Royce Gracie tweeted. “He is what every fighter should be a true martial artists who comes to fight. Well prepared and with a gameplan. Not one that [involves] running from a fight. Why come to fight if you gonna run?”

Continuing the trend Mark Munoz complained, “I don’t c how running away like that earns some1 UFC gold. What a joke.”

“I am done teaching guys to fight! Gonna teach them to run like bitch & hold guys down like a bitch it wins!” grumbled Duke Roufus.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I rest my case.

You should give other things a rest…

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

Here is a quote from http://www.overhand-right.blogspot.com

“MMA is scored thusly:

“Effective striking, effective grappling, aggression, and Octogon control.”

How do you score aggression (Oh, he was so angry…?) Octogon control (He stood in all the right spots. I said to myself, “Self? That’s a good place to stand; he should stand right there*)?

While I agree that these are intrinsic elements, how do you score them? In theory, by these prescripts, any heavy bag you’ve ever worked on has a decent chance of winning a fight with you (think about it; you can’t hurt it, it never backs down, and it forces you to move.)”

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

Also, I wanted Diaz to win, but don’t feel he did. I didn’t see carlos as running; I saw it as effective side to side movement. He stayed out of Diaz’ range and avoided his attacks. How often have we heard Joe and Mike say ” Diaz is forcing (so and so) to fight his type of fight.” Well, Condit forced Diaz to fight his fight…and he did it well…

• Sykotick says:

Logic, you’re not mad that Diaz lost, you’re mad cuz Condit didn’t fight right into Diaz’s game plan

Now since twitter is now the legit decider of who won a fight, I guess these numbers mean nothing

Significant strikes:
    Condit-151
    Diaz- 105

Total strikes:
    Condit- 159
    Diaz- 117.

It doesn’t matter that Diaz threw 8 more shots to the head than Condit. I recall quite an outrage when Shogun.beat Machida, and his game plan (which I’m guessing was sooo negative) was to chop Machida at the knee. And I can’t remember but I believe Machida threw more shot to the head than Shogun. Does that make Machida the rightful winner of their first fight despite the fan opinion?? I’d only twitter had a timeline feature like Facebook, then I could tell you who won cuz twitter is that important.

• Sykotick says:

Shogun “lost” to Machida, should have proof read it =\

• Brendhan Conlan says:

More than 65 of Condit’s total strikes were leg kicks. Just sayin…

• MCM says:

Before the fight, everyone and their mother said the best way to beat Diaz was to chop his legs. Just sayin…….

• Brendhan Conlan says:

“Chop” implies doing damage, no?

• Sykotick says:

Lol you ever taken a leg kick and not checked it?? Half power or not they freakin HURT that’s damage

• Diaz’s face showed plenty of damage. His legs probably would’ve too were his shorts not super long. I still think that Carlos was out to finish Nick but Nick’s toughness and moving forward style just kept it looking as if he was stalking Carlos. Carlos was the one dictating the pace as he engaged, backed off, engaged and repeated cycle for 25 straight minutes. All Diaz did was move forward miss alot more, throw alot less and landed only 2 or 3 of his trademark flurries. Basically do what Condit wanted him to. He implemented his gameplan while outstriking Nick and dodging more of Nick’s strikes than Nick dodged of his.
    If that doesnt spell a win i just dont see what does?
    I seriously dont see how this was a close fight or a controversial decision.

• king mah mah says:

LOL- funny how no one in here really said anything about GSP. Everyone completely avoided the article. That just shows you how close the Diaz-Condit fight actually was. It also shows that the decision was indeed controversial.

• king mah mah says:

Kinda cool how GSP was giving Diaz some props saying he shouldn’t retire and that MMA needs a guy like him. Makes me like GSP a little more. Still can’t wait for that fight to happen……and it will.