Dana White puts decision to fight again on Carlos Condit’s shoulders

In the wake of the results from last night’s UFC on Fuel lineup UFC President Dana White has addressed the future of Carlos Condit based primarily on welterweight Jake Ellenberger’s impressive outpointing of Diego Sanchez in the show’s main event. Ellenberger, who picked up his sixth straight win with the performance, fought to a Split Decision with Condit in 2009 and is a legitimate top contender to the divisional title.

“I have no idea. We’ll see what happens. Again, tonight’s the night of the fight. Carlos Condit’s sittin home tonight. In three months he might have a different opinion. He might say, ‘You know what, let’s do this.’,” said White on the post-event Fuel TV breakdown.

“I think that if I’m Carlos Condit and the Diaz match is available I take the Diaz match,” White continued while alluding to the possibility of Nick Diaz not being suspended by the NSAC for marijuana use. “If not, I probably sit around and wait for GSP. It makes all the sense in the world. He just came off a Split Decision against Ellenberger. He knows if he beats GSP he’s gonna end up facing Ellenberger again. But also on the May 5 card on FOX we have Koscheck fighting Hendricks so we’ll see what happens.”

With Georges St. Pierre out until at least November it seems possible Condit may get the itch to defend his interim belt after already having been out of action for the better part of a year leading up to his decision win over Diaz. If Condit does decide to wait and GSP suffers no setbacks while rehabbing from his knee injury a likely eliminator bout could potentially be put in place between Ellenberger and Johny Hendricks if he emerges victorious against Josh Koscheck.

As far as Sanchez, who could be moving to lightweight again, White showed nothing but respect, stating, “The kid’s a stud. He brings it every time. He comes to fight. Tell me the last Diego Sanchez that sucked. If the kid wants to fight at 55, 45, 25…he can fight wherever he wants to.”

Check out the full interview with White below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Dufresne says:

I don’t understand the point of an interim title if they never have to defend it. At that point isn’t it just called “the number 1 contender”?

I think dw is worst then the fans he internally gets so caught up in the hyperbole and Internet chatter that he sways in the wind like a leaf… He should take time to figure things put & then move forward or address them but instead it’s like everyday is a different answer to the same questions… I know he’s invested into the business but sometimes it seems having his ear to the street is as much trouble as it is informational.

• Angry Mike says:

Why would Condit want an immediate rematch with Diaz? The only fight that makes sense for Condit now is the fight with GSP. Assuming that Condit wins, it seems to me that GSP gets a rematch before Diaz. If I was Condit, I wouldn’t take the bait and feel obliged to decide whether to fight Diaz. He should just say that the guy who signs the checks makes the matches.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

So Rece, you would rather Dana take the time to huddle with advisors and spin out the most palatable bullshit instead of a company President who compulsively keeps us up to date by the minute about what is going on behind the ever changing scenes of a sport filled with unforseen variables? Things change, it is a fast paced, ever changing sport filled with opportunity and heartbreak, that is one of the great things about it. I for one like seeing Dana up there telling the honest truth and saying I don’t know what the hell is going to happen, let’s find out together. He tells us details of his dealings with people and usually it ends up with him looking either right or the victim of unforseen circumstances. I like Dana, F bombs, feuds, and hyperbole included.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Look I hate Dana. Not as a person becuz I dont know him but I hate what he does and most of all I hate the very idea that the absolute shit he speaks actually has impact on the “followers” out there. Having said that I do know his job is to be that guy and for what its worth, he is good at being that guy I hate. Now here I disagree with him again, the company should have a stipulation that you must defend your title within 8 months if healthy. Now that means you only have to fight 3 times every 2 years and I think Jon Jones fought 4 or 5 times in 12 months. Anyway Im surprised Dana managed to put this on Condits shoulders. I would have thought that every time Dana would move forward to put it there Condit would have run away.

Yourdaddydevilandlord My point is that a knowledgable hard core fan who keeps up on the mma scene could make some of the same comments as DW it’s hear say & guess work at times, difference between a fan speculating & the president of the company is one guys word have an actual impact … Im just saying I’d rather not hear 5 different answers to the same question in just as many days… if stuff is that unclear its almost as if he’s trolling at times and just lubricating the Zuffa hype machine, which I guess is part of his job tasks but man it’s frustrating and kind of a turn off… I guess I should just refrain from frequenting mma sites daily and I won’t be so frustrated…

• Dachman says:

Why wouldn’t he just wait for GSP? How about a $100,000 payday. He could sit most of the year and not make anymore $$$ or go fight again building his rep and most likely a bigger payday for the GSP fight. From a money stand point he is crazy not to fight again.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Haha, you can’t stop looking at MMA sites, it is an uncurable disease!! Haha. Yeah, I see how you could dislike the fact that he is running the hype machine, and this drama creates interest and anticipation obviously because we are talking about it, but the guy does his job well. I’m all for Dana, but that might be because my last name is White and I am hoping for some cash from uncle Dana, haha!