Dan Hardy returns at UFC 146 to face Duane Ludwig

A guaranteed stand-up war with career implications for both participants has been named for the UFC 146 lineup in the form of a bout between Dan Hardy-Duane Ludwig. Both welterweights are coming off submission losses and hold losing records over their past five fights.

The UFC confirmed the clash earlier today.

Hardy has been out of action since enduring his fourth straight stumble this past August when he was choked out by Chris Lytle at UFC Live 5. Prior to the defeat the 29-year old Brit had fallen to Anthony Johnson, Carlos Condit, and Georges St. Pierre. However, Hardy is only a few years removed from being a title-contender and holds a 23-10 record including victories over Akihiro Gono, Marcus Davis, and Mike Swick.

While the 21-12 Ludwig has found more success than Hardy as of late, “Bang” wasn’t so lucky against Josh Neer in January where his hopes of a three-fight streak in the right direction were laid to waste. Still, Ludwig remains a threat regardless of the situation, as sixteen of his wins have featured some form of finish.

The May 26 card is expected to feature a headlining bout between heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos and Alistair Overeem with other announced match-ups including Jason Miller vs. C.B. Dollaway and Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

We all know Hardy doesn’t deserve to be in the UFC (even he thinks so), but this looks like a fun match. Dan has to win and do it impressively to keep his job. Duane always looks for the finish and isn’t afraid to go toe to toe with anyone. This is a contender for FOTN or KOTN, either works for me.

• Creature says:

Unless Hardy has drastically improved his TD and overall ground game he is going to get outclassed en route to his 5th straight loss and probably by KO/TKO.. I dont see him being able to out strike Ludwig by any means or being good enough to hold him down and or submit him.

• I dunno dude, Dan hardy is a brilliant kickboxer and he was going toe to toe with Condit and starting to take over the round right before that left hook from hell rendered him useless….Dan hardy by left hook KO

• Creature says:

Thats true Superdave.. but i think is just as much if not even better of a kickboxer than Condit, I dont think he has as much power as Condit but is a little faster and bit more technical which i think will lead to the W.. But wont know until it happens, either way im excited for it

• Lord Faust says:

I’m not writing Hardy off totally, but if Ludwig loses I see it happening in much the same manner as the Neer loss. Total domination and then a solid shot to the jaw from a guy who looked finished.

• Angry Mike says:

Hardy may be one dimensional, but in a striking contest I like him better than Ludwig. I think Hardy has more power. For whatever it’s worth, he looked pretty good on his feet against GSP. Hardy got dominated by takedowns, but held his own in the striking.

• Lord Faust says:

He’s definitely got some striking chops, and I would agree he has the power advantage. Frankly, I look forward to this fight just so I can see both of these guys work their stand-up.