UFC 144 Results: Benson Henderson emerges as new UFC lightweight champion

The last time the UFC set up camp in Japan, lightweight champion Frankie Edgar was still five years away from making his MMA debut. Now, thanks to the organization’s decision to return to the Land of the Rising Sun with UFC 144, Edgar will not only have an opportunity to fight in one of the sport’s birthplaces but defend his title there as well.

Set to unfold from Saitama Super Arena, UFC 144 featured Edgar putting his gold up for grabs against polished pugilist Benson Henderson in the main event of a card including six other main card collisions. When the smoke cleared “Bendo” emerged with the title after outpointing Edgar in a highly-entertaining affair. Edgar fought valiantly but came up short against the bigger, more powerful Henderson who improved his record to 16-2 with the victory.

Other highlights included Anthony Pettis knocking out Joe Lauzon, Tim Boetsch making an epic comeback against Yushin Okami, and Quinton Jackson lsoing to former Ultimate Fighter winner Ryan Bader as the result of sub-par wrestling.

Read below for a full list of UFC 144 winners/losers as revealed thus far:

Issei Tamura def. Tiequan Zhang via Knockout Round 2
Chris Cariaso def. Takeya Mizugaki via Unanimous Decision
Riki Fukuda def. Steve Cantwell via Unanimous Decision
Vaughan Lee def. Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto via Armbar Round 1
Takanori Gomi def. Eiji Mitsuoka via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Anthony Pettis def. Joe Lauzon via Knockout Round 1 (High Kick)
Hatsu Hioki def. Bart Palaszewski via Unanimous Decision
Tim Boetsch def. Yushin Okami via TKO Round 3 (Strikes)
Jake Shields def. Yoshihiro Akiyama via Unanimous Decision
Mark Hunt def. Cheick Kongo via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)
Ryan Bader def. Quinton Jackson via Unanimous Decision
Benson Henderson def. Frankie Edgar via Unanimous Decision

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

Great way to start off a fight card. Sick KO for Mr. Issei Tamura!

• Sykotick says:

Damn it! Was really pulling for Kid. I think this was a very winnable fight for him =\

• Lord Faust says:

Main card picks: Edgar, Bader, Kongo, Shields, Okami, Palaszewski, Pettis. Didn’t want to forget.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Nice set of prelims for the most part. Gomi and Yamamoto losing would have been heartbreaking. Anyone think they’ll give “Kid” one more chance based on popularity?

Also, Mizugaki is being given his win bonus based on Dana White thinking he deserved the decision win.

• Lord Faust says:

Good to hear about Mizugaki.

• Sykotick says:

Good god! Bart P. Is bein throw a beating there!!

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah, I was impressed with his defence, but man Hioki manhandled him.

• Lord Faust says:

Oh my god…. Tim Boestch just blew my mind. Well done, sir!

• Sykotick says:

O.o o.O what the hell?!?! boestch!!! Kick ass job in the 3rd!!

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t mind being wrong with a pick if I get to see a finish like Boestch pulled off. Pay that man his money!

• Sykotick says:

Jake Shields… 2 wins in thru UFC, and they were both robberies. Had Akiyama 2-1

• Lord Faust says:

I had Shields winning all three rounds. Akiyama looked good, but didn’t really so much and Jake was the aggressor throughout.

• Lord Faust says:

Another wrong pick, another savage beating. Haha. What a night.

• Sykotick says:

LF, seriously!! I think Page might have taken Bader lightly

• Lord Faust says:

Well, I got my longshot pick right. I am happy.

• twodragunns says:

This is by far the worst UFC I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen and own every one of them as well as seen many UFC’s live. The amount of fight upsets is simply ridiculous and I’d rather be watching Boxing.

• Lord Faust says:

Please tell me that was sarcastic.

• elsicilian says:

phenomenal! henderson deserved that victory … hopefully frankie drops down to 145 to face aldo. superfight!

• fanoftna33 says:

what a great event, great finishes and great fights. Boetsch should get ko of the night for sure that was epic. Cant say that I mided seeing a former great like Hunt get a ko here but to bad to see Kongo go back down the ladder.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

First a couple of questions. Richard Stabone do you still have a problem with me saying it would be foolish for Kongo to stand with Hunt and that he would prolly get KOed? MCM do you still think the guy coming weighing at least 235 is too small for HW? He didnt make 205, I think a guy who doest make 205 is called a HW.
    A good night of fights and I got pretty much all the results I wanted appart from Rampage. Glad to see that Edgar was shown up for what he is, akward, fast and elusive but not the worlds best LW. By the way neither is Bendo imo.
    Why Kongo didnt wrestle Hunt more is a mystery. Why would you trade with a guy that is as much of a pure striker as you get in MMA? Glad to see Hunt win though.
    Okami losing was pleasing, never been a huge fan. I dont hate him but I dont rate his fighting either. I know he wins but Im stuffed if I know why. He seems ave to me but he does seem to win.
    Although Jake has poor striking he does seem to get away with it and tonight he won a striking match.
    Good night of fights with mostly pleasing results.

• Screenplaya says:

Great night, but I question a couple of the decisions:

– I thought Sexyama beat Shields. It seemed clear that Shields was landing because he hits like a girl and Akiyama was just walking through them to land fewer but much more damaging punches.
    – I wanted the Henderson to win so Edgar would move down and we could stop having to watch size mismatches in title fights, but I didn’t think Bendo did enough to win the title. Edgar had a couple of cuts, but that is not how fights are scored. I feel Henderson was put in a lot of bad positions that he escpaed only because of his size, and I can’t give a guy a belt just because he was bigger.

That said, I dont want to see a rematch, I want to see Aldo/Edgar for the 145 title, and Pettis/Henderson for the 155 strap.

And OMG, as Tim Boetsch fan, his comeback against Okami is destined to be one of all-time favorite fights! Epic!

And Mike Goldberg, I would lay off on using the term BlackZilian on TV. I assume that is what Nog brothers fighters call themselves, but it sounds bad unless you explain it. And it just makes you sound like a toolbag trying to sound cool.

• elsicilian says:

@Screenplaya – Goldberg isn’t “trying to sound cool,” he’s referring to a relatively new but totally legit camp out of Florida, which includes (among others) Rashad Evans, Melvin Guillard, Jorge Santiago and Alistair Overeem.

According to ASM’s Glenn Robinson: “The name Blackzilians started off because the team was, well, mostly black and Brazilian,” Robinson said of the team, which initially formed with castoffs from other camps. “But right now, it really means brotherhood – it stands for brotherhood – because every guy there will take care of the next.”

• Richard Stabone says:

Yes, LOGIC, I was eating my words after Hunt took care of Kongo. While standing with Hunt obviously played more into his wheelhouse, I just didn’t think it would ultimately matter how the fight played out before Kongo would take care of the aging, mostly washed up Hunt.

I know Barry already has a fight scheduled, but if something happens there maybe a Hunt-Barry matchup could materialize. Barry would have the opportunity for that sub he’s convinced he’ll someday get.

• MCM says:

LOGIC- considering that Rampage didn’t look any bigger than Bader and got out muscled by a guy that makes 205, hell yeah I still think Rampage is too small! How could any person watch that fight and think he could make it at HW?

• Lord Faust says:

Bader made Rampage looks like a stocky middleweight, just standing next to him.

• Lord Faust says:

Not that I think Rampage could — or would — make MW, but Bader is a big LHW, where Rampage is what I would consider the average size.