Frankie Edgar believes he beat Benson Henderson, wants a rematch

If simply comparing faces at the post-event press conference for UFC 144 there’s little question on who won the evening’s headlining championship clash between lightweights Frankie Edgar and Benson Henderson. However, deciding who deserved to exit the arena with a title in tow is a far more difficult prospect when evaluating the actual in-ring action rather than purely physical damage.

Though bloodied and bruised, Edgar took to the stage after last night’s event concluded and spoke some about having lost a hard-fought decision to newly crowned king Henderson. He also made it clear he felt the judges dropped the ball when it came to scoring things.

“I don’t want to take anything away from Ben. He did a great job. But I did feel I won that fight,” said a visibly disappointed Edgar. “I’m not trying to cheat anybody out of anything they deserve but I had to do two immediate rematches, so what’s right?”

UFC President Dana White also came forward to admit he had the fight even entering the fifth frame and felt Edgar did enough in the round to earn the eventual nod. However, Anthony Pettis’ name was also mentioned in relation to a potential title-shot after opening the PPV up with a highlight-reel knockout of Joe Lauzon in addition to being the last person to defeat Henderson.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Niv says:

Congrats to Henderson on a deserved win, but I also feel bad for Edgar as he was in another close fight but doesn’t get the rematch.

I personally would rather see Pettis vs Henderson again and let Edgar get another win before a shot at the title.

I hope this card helps mature some of our fellow mma fans even though I doubt it. I’m just tired of the big league comments that are epidemic on mma sites. If you are not convinced that Henderson, Pettis, Nick Diaz etc. are big league fighters and were that before coming to the UFC, then you truly are paralyzed from the neck up!

Now back to Edgar, there’s no doubt he has what it takes to be champ again, but I am one of those who would love to see him go down one weight class and give us that Aldo vs Edgar superfight, that would be awesome!

• Dufresne says:

Part of me thinks that if anyone deserves an immediate rematch for the LW title, it’s Edgar. He had to deal with 2 opponents in a row getting a 2nd shot, so why shouldn’t he get one?

The other part of me is screaming against it though. The LW division has a ton of talent, and yet only 4 people have been involved in the title fights in the last 2 years.

I think I’m siding with Niv here in wanting Edgar to get one another win before challenging, not because he’s not deserving of a rematch, but because these immediate rematches are getting out of control. Edgar/Penn I and II, Edgar/Maynard I and II, Machida/Rua I and II, and people are calling for Condit/Diaz II as an immediate rematch as well. Enough already!

• hindsightufuk says:

totally agree with you Dufresne

If they don’t give it at least one fight in between the rematch we will be stuck watching a rerun once again… Give these guys another fight each and then of everything aligns then set up the rematch.

• JabCrossHook says:

I have a feeling Jose Aldo will probably be the first to stop Frankie.

• MCM says:

All good points Duf. And Penn got the rematch cause the judging was so screwy and Maynard got the rematch cause it went to a draw (and Gray held a win over Frankie). This fight was very close but not controversial. Had the judges scored it for Edgar, it still wouldn’t deserve a rematch.

• stone says:

Edgar vs Guida
    Pettis vs Henderson
    Same card

• jasonah says:

kind of tired personly of Edgar, If he went down to 45, I think he would get smashed there by alot more than aldo. 145 will be his kryptonite!