Dan Hardy expects return to form after getting his “anger back”

British welterweight Dan Hardy recently received a rare opportunity by maintaining his spot on the UFC’s roster despite a quartet of consecutive losses and plans to take full advantage of it when he faces Duane Ludwig at UFC 146. Not only will Hardy enter the bout with the perspective of having endured an exceptionally rough patch professionally but will do so angry this time around.

Hardy discussed his mindset in an interview with ESPN where he explained, “I’ve got the anger back that I used to have when I was at Cage Warriors, which is a good place to be because that’s when I enjoyed hurting people.”

“The Outlaw” rose to notoriety in the U.K. promotion, racking up 12-1 record under the CWFC banner. However, it was in part that success that led to his downfall in the UFC after his popularity prevented him from taking the necessary steps to keep improving as a fighter.

“I spent my whole career trying to get to the UFC, but then a lot of changes in my life, personal things and the media attention – it distracted me from being a Mixed Martial Artist,” admitted the 29-year old Hardy who went on to say his training suffered as a result.

With a new camp in place, as well as the humility of four straight stumbles, Hardy feels he’s made the necessary adjustments and expects the results to show on May 26 when he meets Ludwig inside the Octagon.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• G-DUB says:

Tailor-made opponent who maximizes Hardy’s chances to win. I wonder why the UFC is so intent on keeping this guy around. To anyone but the greenest of MMA fans, one-dimensional fighters serve minimal purpose and provide little entertainment value.

• Lord Faust says:

Because now anyone who wins on points is considered boring and a “coward” by all the keyboard warriors, so any guy who goes and throws down is going to get some additional leeway.

• G-DUB says:

Do any of these so-called kayboard warriors care that Hardy’s been outmatched, outclassed, exposed, embarrassed and KTFOed? It’s not his “anger” that’s lacking …. it’s his skill set. I guess I’m asking if Hardy is so popular with fans that they’re willing to overlook all of that. Who knows …. perhaps a favor to UK fans.

• Lord Faust says:

Maybe. The UFC also seems to like guys who go out and risk it all; but appealing to the LCD is definitely part of their olans.

• MCM says:

I like Dan Hardy. He’s intelligent, well spoken, a good representative for the sport, and for the most part exciting (the Rumble fight sucked, but that wasn’t his fault.) Some say he’s one dimensional, but no more so than Rampage, Fitch, or JDS, and those guys are top 5-10 in their divisions.
    Do I think he should have been kept after losing 4 in a row? No. Am I gonna bitch about getting a chance to see him go toe to toe with Bang? Hell no.

• hindsightufuk says:

• Lord Faust says:

MCM says it best; we don’t decide if he gets to keep fighting in the UFC, but you’d be a fool to not want to watch.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Probably doesn’t hurt that he’s one of the handful of notable Brits on the organization’s roster.

• Lord Faust says:

You spelled “two” wrong. :P

• Sykotick says:

All due respect MCM, but there is no definitive evidence that proves JDS to be a one dimensional fighter. No more so than, say, Jose Also.

• hindsightufuk says:

i lost a little respect for Dan when he tried to match up with Matt Hughes, thought that was a weak way out, trying to fight a guy who is guarenteed to get knocked out if you catch him

• MCM says:

Sykotick – none of those fighters are one dimensional. Hardy isn’t either. My point was that just because a fighter is known for one style of fighting doesn’t make them inferior in other styles. Like JDS, Hardy is known as a striker that’s what he does. But I think calling him one dimensional is inaccurate seeing how far he’s come in MMA.

I didn’t know it was a good thing to fight angry?