Frankie Edgar: “I’m saying it, and I’m saying it loud – I want my rematch.”

UFC lightweight Frankie Edgar isn’t backing off of his stance regarding a potential drop down to 145 pounds after losing his title to Benson Henderson last weekend at UFC 144. While “The Answer” is open to making the move at some point in the future, he’ll only do so when he feels comfortable with the change rather than when fans, media members, or even Dana White want him to make it.

“I’m saying it, and I’m saying it loud – I want my rematch,” said Edgar as a guest this week on The MMA Hour. “I’m not going to have these antics or play these games. I’m telling you want I want. This is what I want. I think it’s fair. I think the fans want to see it. It was Fight of the Night.”

Though the five-round fight saw Henderson emerge as the winner on the judges’ scorecards, many who watched things unfold (including White) felt Edgar deserved the nod despite his battered physical appearance. While some fans are no doubt opposed to Edgar getting a rematch, especially after having his eye and nose busted up pretty badly, the 30-year old former champion explained why his critics would likely enjoy the second scrap, stating, “Listen, even if these guys want to see me get beat up, I do get beat up in a lot of my fights, even in the fights I win, so it’s win-win for everybody.”

“I think the rematch makes sense on several levels,” he continued. “Not only can UFC be good guys, I think I earned it. Economically, they’ve been investing money in me. I’ve been at the helm of this weight class for two years now. I think it just makes sense for them and obviously for me. Let’s do it.”

“I’m staying at 155. This is where I’m at right now. I still feel like I got a run left. I still want that title back,” Edgar concluded on the topic.

The UFC has not announced their plans for Henderson yet, only mentioning the possibility of rematch with Edgar or Anthony Pettis who took “Bendo” out in memorable fashion at WEC’s final show in 2010.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

hes crazy. Maybe the fight was close but thats a bad example by the ufc. U lose and get a rematch. How about u beat your next opponent in high style fashion not a 5 round back.and fourth fight and show u deserve it or earened it. I think pettid and nate diaz are better contenders. Lose 10 lbs listen to your boss and get another title if can.

• Lord Faust says:

Bendo is going to be out for a while, so we may see another fake belt.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Where do you get that Henderson was injured? His post fight interview had him saying he felt fine and had no injuries.

Maybe I missed it. Got a link?

• I dont see a huge issue with a rematch. I know rematches are tedious but let’s face it, he beat Penn once by a close by unanimous decision and then owned him for five rounds. The draw with Gray was of course something that had to be settled and this time around the former champ who has delivered 3 of the best performances in recent memory by a champion(4 if you count this fight with Ben) wants a rematch. There are no clear cut number 1 contenders at this moment as Nate and Pettis both need at least one more clear cut decisive win to prove that they deserve a title shot. Let Frank get his rematch. It’ll be a thriller for sure and we all know it.

• climbarock says:

Frankie deserves a rematch. I hate rematches. Absolutely hate them. And, I’m not a fan of Frankie’s. But, considering how close his fight with Benson was, and how Frankie gave immediate rematches to both Penn and Maynard, Frankie would be getting a raw deal if he has to work his way back up to the #1 contender position.

• Dufresne says:

If they can make it happen on the same night as a fight between Pettis and the winner of Diaz/Miller, I say let it happen.

And speaking of injuries, has anyone else heard that King Mo is in the hospital with a massive infection? I read somewhere that he nearly lost his leg from it early.

• Lord Faust says:

Madd_Hatter: Junkie reported it with the injury suspensions.

• Lord Faust says:

Dufresne: I read the same thing; some kind of staph infection in his knee after he had surgery on it following the Larkin fight.

• THEGUNNER says:

If they do a rematch and its a five rnd fight to a panel of judges everyone disagrees with whats the point. Finish your fights orget back in line.

• Lord Faust says:

Personally, I say no rematch. But the precedent has been set, and Edgar would be getting a pretty dry shafting if he doesn’t get one. It’s a bad situation if you’re the fight booker; you’re almost praying Bendo is out for 4 months or so.

• Richard Stabone says:

This sounds pretty cool to me.

BUT…I still think the idea of an immediate rematch is usually a dumb one. Say the rematch does happen, and Frankie picks up a win. Now they’ve traded victories in back-to-back fights, so at that point isn’t the immediate (tie-breaker) rematch even more logical/necessary than the one Frankie is calling for now? Stop the madness before it’s allowed to begin.

• Richard Stabone says:

If it was up to me I’d give Pettis the next title shot. Although his momentum took a hit with the Guida loss, he’s about a year removed from beating the current champ and there’s no other clear-cut #1 contender. He was a victim of unfortunate circumstances when he lost his opportunity for a WEC-UFC unification fight. I think he’s done just enough to get his shot now… and I’ll use the always tricky MMAth to suggest that his loss to Guida is somewhat offset by the fact he beat Bendo who more recently beat Guida. Or something.

As for Frankie, if he wants to stick at LW he can take on the winner of Miller-Diaz for a chance to get right back into the title picture. And if Diaz can get thru both Miller and another top contender, God bless him… I will then happily acknowledge he’s earned his title shot. (hint: will not happen)

If Frankie drops down to FW for the radass fight with Aldo that so many of us would like to see, then that opens things up for the Miller-Diaz winner to fight Maynard (assuming he’s done making movies and hanging out south of the equator), which could be booked on the same card as Bendo-Pettis.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

RE: Henderson’s health…

Exited the event with possible fractures in both of his hands and could be out six months without a doctor’s clearance. Doesn’t mean he’ll be out that long or that any sort of interim title is needed.

Umm doesn’t Bendo have a adamantium skelaton?

• elsicilian says:

It makes much more sense for everyone if he drops to featherweight. Doing so would clear out the logjam at 155, bring some much-needed star power to the 145 division, set up an immediate superfight with Jose Aldo, and give Frankie the opportunity to become just the third multi-weight UFC champion (with BJ Penn and Randy Couture). If he dominated 145 and won the title, that would set up ANOTHER superfight with the lightweight champ down the road …

That said, Frankie’s certainly earned the right to fight at lightweight if that’s what he wants to do, but that’s not the optimal scenario for the fans, the other fighters, or the UFC; so they shouldn’t encourage him to do so by giving him an immediate rematch.