Quinton Jackson reveals he used testosterone leading up to Ryan Bader fight

Former UFC light heavyweight champ Quinton “Rampage” Jackson may have found the modern day fountain of youth.

Jackson, who lost to Ryan Bader at UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson, recently admitted to having used testosterone injections prior to the fight in hopes of healing his injured knee quicker than normal. Not only did it assist him in that regard but “Rampage” believes that TRT has made him more likely to continue fighting past his previous retirement target of 35.

Several other fighters have used TRT and it can be legal if held under the right levels, something Jackson says he did in addition to informing his bosses at the UFC about it beforehand as well.

“I spoke to the UFC and they were like, ‘Yeah, a lot of fighters are probably doing it but not telling anyone.’ Me, I keep it real,” said Jackson, in a recent interview with Fighters Only Magazine. “It’s legal and I am not abusing it and I am not going over certain levels. From what I learned about it, when I got tested, my levels were really low and the doctor was telling me that athletes can burn testosterone.”

“I gave myself small doses and that (expletive) immediately changed me,” Jackson continued. “That’s why I am saying now I am not going to retire. It’s just unfortunate that I got this injury.”

Jackson injured his knee in training and was told by a doctor that he should not compete. However, for Jackson that was not an option based on his overwhelming desire to fight in Japan so he followed the advice of his physician who directed him to an “age-management” specialist.

“I really wanted to fight for the Japanese fans and so I went to see the doctor and he told me not to fight. I was like ‘Whoa.’ I bust out crying, because I had missed Japan and… you know, I don’t like to tell people that I cry but I am a human being, I cried. I woke up at like three o’clock in the morning and I cried. I couldn’t train and I didn’t know if it would be a career-ending injury.”

The only negative to his decision to use testosterone had to do with the weight it put on him, one of the factors causing him to come in heavy against Bader.

“I hurt my knee like a month ago and I only did three shots of testosterone but it put a lot of weight on me, a lot of muscle on me but it healed me knee up good enough to where I could fight.”

Numerous other fighters in the UFC have acknowledged using TRT as well including Chael Sonnen and Dan Henderson.

PHOTO CREDIT – LEXANI TIRES/UFC

• Lord Faust says:

If athletes burn off testosterone, then I am set for life.

• MCM says:

He also said,
    “I started hitting it up pretty good, I still gotta take care of my knee but I feel like a 25 year old again. My sex life changed, I was back to five times a night like when I was 25, straight up. I got stronger, lifting weights. I was never good at lifting weights but I was doing everything, pull ups and stuff, everything with my top half. ”

But it’s OK cause it’s not a PED right?
    *eye roll*

• Angry Mike says:

I doubt that three shots of testosterone would result in substantial weight gain. His weight was an issue before he hooked up with Juanito and made it into the UFC. Back then it was widely accepted that he hadn’t trained as hard as he needed to because he didn’t really enjoy it. In fact, I can recall articles on this site in which he talked about his dislike for training and how he preferred hanging out at home with his kids.

This TRT shit is gonna fuck mma up sooner or later….

• Lord Faust says:

Rampage: OK doc, lay it on me, what’s wrong with me?

Doctor: according to these levels, you ain’t alpha no more.

Rampage: *cries*

• Brendhan Conlan says:

If you didn’t read the entire interview on Fighters Only you should. Way more stuff than we could fit into one article on here.

• Lord Faust says:

For the record: I kid because I love. Rampage has never been a shady fighter and I respect what he’s done.

Also, Brendhan is correct; the article is a great read.

• climbarock says:

This TRT shit is a steroids loophole. Plain and simple. It needs to be stopped.