Roy Nelson headed to light heavyweight on one condition

For years fans have wondered how UFC heavyweight Roy Nelson would fare with a slimmed down physique rather than competing against larger opponents based primarily on his porcine physique. It now appears the notion of Nelson fighting at light heavyweight is not only a possibility but interested parties can have a direct impact on his decision to do so

According to the 35-year old fighter, a casual discussion with a friend about the positives of Twitter in comparison to Facebook quickly turned into a bet with Nelson’s stakes involving a concerted effort to drop down to 205 pounds if he hits a certain mark in the next two weeks on Facebook.

“I said if it so easy and great I should be able add 100K fans in two weeks because I have that on Twitter,” wrote Nelson on his Facebook Fan Page.

Nelson has already received approximately 50,000 “Likes” on Facebook since originally posting the stakes.

Standing only 6’0, Nelson has racked up a 16-7 record with notable wins over Mirko Filipovic, Stefan Struve, and Brendan Schaub. At the urging of UFC President Dana White “Big Country” has already shed some of his excess baggage over the past year and clocked in for his February fight against Fabricio Werdum at 246 pounds.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

we will see if he sticks to it or it was just a social media ploy

• hindsightufuk says:

246 punds is still 246 pounds, its not like he’s 225 or 230.
    maybe he should concentrate on getting into shape first, cos he looked shit last time out

• MCM says:

If ya’ll haven’t “Liked” his page yet, do so. It’s amazing to see all the responses he’s getting.

• Lord Faust says:

I can respect his efforts but I think it’s both unrealistic and a ploy.

First off there is no “catch”. Roy can do whatever he wants; if he enjoys gassing out in his fights, being outweighed by his leaner, taller opponents, then that’s his right. He’ll keep getting his ass handed to him by anyone above the middle tier in HW, and he’ll be cut from the UFC.

I don’t care which choice Roy makes, but he’s also deluding himself just a little if he thinks such a drastic change in physique is going to be easy — let alone maintaining it.

Good luck, though.

• Lord Faust do you watch many Roy nelson fights? Cuz he doesnt tend to gas….he gassed in the mir fight…oh yeah and had walking pneumonia, and he looked a little tired in the 3rd round of werdum…which isnt shocking cuz of the beating he was taking.

I’ve dropped 50 lbs in the last 6 months and Im no professional athelete, Roy is, if he’s already down to 230-235 he can easily drop another 10-15 pounds in a another month or two with just a solid nutritional change, and then he can learn to cut weight like every other 205er.
    If Roy could get in really solid shape he’d be a nightmare for anyone at 205

• Lord Faust says:

I think everyone is vastly underestimating what it takes to change your entire physique, let alone one someone has become accustomed to throughout their entire life.

Roy is my height, and has 40+ pounds on me (provided he’s sticking around where he was last fight); first off, it’s going to take a lot of time to affect that kind of change, secondly we’ll see if he can keep the weight off. I’ve been around — and known — enough people with weight issues; there’s the calorie math and then there’s the lifestyle aspect, plus the fact Nelson’s body will be thinking he’s being starved to death for the next year plus.

I’ll ease off my comments about gassing but, seriously, he’s looked terrible in his last few fights / muggings.

• Richard Stabone says:

Faust is right… a drop to 205 is a total long shot for Roy. Maybe it could work if he was shedding muscle mass which, unfortunately for Roy, weighs more than fat. And maybe if he was 25, instead of 35. But this just aint gonna happen.

• MCM says:

Roy’s problem has been he’s always eaten like shit. When other fighters are loading up on veggies and eating properly before a fight, Roy was eating pizza, soda and fast food. The differences is he’s always worked like a mad man and been able to keep the majority of it off. Since he changed up his diet, he’s dropped 20lbs without having to cut. If he gets on something like the Dolce diet, he should be able to drop 20 more no problem and then cut to 205. Keeping it off will be a lot easier for a professional athlete than for regular fellas like us.

I understand the lifestyle argument, but Roy isn’t one of those guys that was a pudgy kid and always had weight issues, he put on that weight latter in life and really shouldn’t have much of an issue getting it off.

Congrats, superdavenorcal! I’m hoping to say the same thing in a couple months.

• Lord Faust says:

I wish the best for him, but IMO he’d have to take a year off to do it right — if he can do it. It can’t do him in favours, shedding body mass plus going through a grueling training camp, still probably having to cut 10+ pounds to make 205, and then there’s the fight itself.

Guys like Roy are why I wish there was a division between LHW and HW; a 60 pound variance is a lot. I could see guys like Barry, Nelson, and others in a 225 division.

I think 225 is about as small as Roy can get on any reasonable timetable. Really, though, the results are dependent on a lot of things, including how much you care about what you’re doing to a human being to meet your ends.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I think it might be interesting to see him at lhw. He never said he was going make the weight by next week. If he really wants to do this I think with proper diet and keeping up his steady training I could see him be ready for a fight at 205 later part of this year or early next year.

I think if he went to Dana and said I want to try to make lhw but I need about 6 months to do it before training for another fight meaning essentialy rest of year off to cut forty or so pounds and be in fighting shape he would get the time without a doubt.

If he kept his punching power and increased his speed I think he would do well at lhw. Still don’t see him ever getting a belt but, I don’t see him as being out muscled at that weight

• Richard Stabone says:

Again, I just see this as a complete long shot…at best.

We’re talking about a guy who’s a few months shy of 36 years old, cutting 17% of his overall body weight (from his last fight weigh-in). That feat alone is a huge task, but doing so while also maintaining the type of strength & stamina to compete in the UFC makes it about as feasible as Roy trying to play pick up stix with his butt cheeks. Good luck, big fella.

• MCM says:

Forrest cuts from 230+ to 205, Vitor can cuts from over 205 to 185, Maynard cuts from around 190 to 155, Faber cuts from close to 160 to 135. You don’t think Roy, who weighed 246 for his last fight, could drop 10 to 15lbs and then cut the rest? Gonna have to disagree with you there.