Thiago Silva replaces injured Nogueira in main event at UFC on Fuel 2

UFC light heavyweight Thiago Silva will make a return to the Octagon a bit sooner than expected after Antonio Rogerio Nogueira suffered a knee injury in training and was replaced by the Brazilian in his April 14 fight with Alexander Gustafsson at UFC on Fuel 2 in Sweden. Silva was originally scheduled to scrap with Igor Pokrajac a month later at UFC on Fuel 3 but has been out of action for more than a year and was no doubt itching to fight again as soon as possible.

News of the switch was confirmed earlier today by the UFC.

Silva’s time on the sidelines stemmed from his submission of doctored urine relating to a January 2011 fight against Brandon Vera. The 29-year old then came forward to reveal he’d used steroids prior to the bout to help him heal from a back injury and could not afford to withdraw after being out for the previous twelve months due to health-related reasons. He holds an overall record of 14-2 including past victories over Houston Alexander and Keith Jardine.

UFC on Fuel 2 will also feature match-ups including Diego Nunes vs. Dennis Siver and Brian Stann vs. Alessio Sakara.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Weak…I hope Alex smashes him….I cant stand T Silva

• Lord Faust says:

I call this the Chael Sonnen paradox.

• MCM says:

I actually like this matchup better. Gustaffson is a beast and Thiago needs a good ass whooping. I see this one going down nastier than the Machida fight.

• Richard Stabone says:

Yeah, I like this matchup a lot better. I think this is the perfect type of stiff test for Gustaffson to see where he’s at. The 15-month layoff for Thiago might be tough to overcome but this is a tough fight to pick… I’m leaning slightly toward Silva.

I can understand why people wouldn’t be a fan of Silva, but I think it’s a bit overdone. The dude had an abusive father, ended up living on his own thru his teen year (on the streets of friggin Brazil no less), and yet had the fortune/dedication to stick with something that’s allowed him to really excel. The failed PED test was unfortunate but let’s be real, the fighters at this level who are truly *clean* make up the minority, not the other way around.

• Lord Faust says:

Only gripe with the PED issue was no one knows what he did; he submitted a fake sample. When you go that far, it’s hard to just buy the answer.

That aside, dude is a helluva fighter and this should make for a very fun fight. Silva has every chance to win this, but my immediate pick is Gustafsson. I’ll have to think on this one, though.

• MCM says:

I’m picking Gustafsson cause he tends to finish guys no one else does. Thiago is no joke though and, like Boner said, a stiffer test than Lil’ Nog.

I bet Silva is pissed no one told him he could just take TRT for his back and everything would be OK. ;)

• Brendhan Conlan says:

RE: Faust…

Thiago openly admitted to having multiple steroid injections in his back.

• Lord Faust says:

I’m aware. It’s water under the bridge at this point, but I reserve the right to be skeptical. Again; all we have is what he said. Equally likely is “I fucked up my cycle”. Regardless, I should not have mentioned it; the fight is more compelling than rehashing PED talk.

• stone says:

I like AG… But if it came down to betting some money I’d go with TS… He’s got a killer instinct, man. Maybe Brandon Vera will fight Lil Nog now?

• I dont know why I dont like Thiago, I just dont. He comes off as a real jerk. That said he’s a fantastic fighter a finisher and a HUGE LHW. But other than that Phil Davis stumble I just like what Gustaffson has been bringin to the table.

It is a more interesting fight and I for one love the idea of havin vera fight Lil Nog.