Daniel Cormier says second training injury to blame for delay in Strikeforce GP

Daniel Cormier was set to begin training to complete the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix when he felt a similar sting.

Cormier, who broke his hand in his semifinal round win over Antonio Silva, delivered an uppercut to the chin of Strikeforce middleweight champ Luke Rockhold and re-inured his mitt. Now, after rehabbing the bum hand, “DC” is finally ready to face Josh Barnett.

The match is set for May 19 on Showtime with the likely venue being Cormier’s professional home of San Jose, California. Barnett was recently granted a temporary fight license in California, clearing the way for the match to take place in Strikeforce’s place of origin.

“The biggest issue for me was that I didn’t improve as much as I usually do in between fights because of the injury,” said Cormier, in a recent interview with MMAJunkie. “I’m normally improving constantly because I’m so young in the game. I haven’t been able to do that.”

Cormier knows he headed to the UFC following this fight – and one more if he is victorious, as there will be a heavyweight send-off between the tournament’s winner and an unknown fighter – but the ex-Olympian is aiming to enter the Octagon with a perfect record saying, “To go over into the UFC with the belt, undefeated, it would be a pretty good situation.”

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

jesus when I first read the headline I thought the GP finale was off for May…

• fanoftna33 says:

I am excited for this fight, but dont get the HW send off fight, is it in Strikeforce after the tournament? Who would they bring in to fight Cormier or Barnette, or is it just someway for Zuffa to try and make Barnette lose before so they dont have to bring him over if he wins?

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

The send off fight is just so they can have the Fedor fight, they still want that fight, and hell, so do I to a lesser extent.

• Guthookd says:

DC will not be ready for Barnett.

Baby for the sub.

Guthookd!

• Lord Faust says:

I have to go with Barnett here, just for the experience alone.

Then we get to see what kind of weird awkward gymnastics the UFC goes through to avoid signing him.

• climbarock says:

Cormier is going to beat the snot out of Barnett. He’s too quick and too athletic for a slow, lumbering HW like Barnett. Barnett will not be able to take him down. Cormier is going to light him the fuck up. You heard it here first ;)

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t think the UFC will do some awkward gymnastics to get around hiring him, they will just say he’s a high risk since he’s failed drug tests 3 different times. Now if he finishes Cormier in convincing fashion, I don’t think that will matter and he’ll get hired.

• MCM says:

Agreed AlphaOmega. More than enough time has lapsed since Dana fired Josh, and the UFC, and MMA in general, is a completely different animal than it was when Josh took the HW belt. I’m willing to bet that 90% of UFC fans have no idea that Barnett ever beat Randy for the belt. As long as Rogan and Dana don’t bring it up, and outside of reading the stats on Sherdog, they probably never will. Hardcore fans are making the issue, I don’t think the UFC will.

And if Josh can take hits from the likes of Sergi and Rogers, and Yvel, I think he can handle anything Cormier throws. But I’ve been surprised by DC before.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would be putting my money on Josh here, he may not have the pure wrestling Daniel has but he has 3 thimes the experience, solid striking and WAY better submissions, I think he will play with Daniel for a while then get a sneaky trip in and the sub by the end of round 1.