Frank Mir collides with Cain Velasquez on Memorial Day Weekend for top contendership

Former champions Frank Mir and Cain Velasquez have signed to fight at UFC 146 on a card suddenly filled with heavyweight fights. The show is set to take place May 26 from Las Vegas, Nevada’s MGM Grand Garden Arena. The main event will feature current heavyweight title-holder Junior dos Santos defending his title against Alistair Overeem.

The Mir-Velasquez bout will determine the next in line to challenge the winner of Dos Santos’ dance with Overeem. Mir (16-5) has defeated Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Roy Nelson, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in his last three bouts to secure his position in the division.

Comparably, Vleasquez will be looking to bounce back from his first career loss coming when dos Santos claimed the title from last year via first round knockout.

Also set for the Memorial Day Weekend card, Roy Nelson will welcome former Strikeforce heavyweight Antonio Silva to the Octagon, giving the heavyweights an even stronger presence at the event.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Mir takes this fight. Mir can submit Cain on the ground and ko him standing, and Cain has the power to ko Mir standing or get a ground and pound tko, but I think Cain gets a little reckless and Mir catches a submission.

• Lord Faust says:

I think Frank takes this as, aside from the Cro Cop fight, he’s been really rounding out his game.

• Creature says:

Mir has no chin nor the TD ability good enough to take Cain down, Cain by 1st round KO

I’d like to see Mir get a HUGE win here…

• Kamakosmo says:

Oh man, I sooo locked this fight up a few months ago. Props to me…now back to me being wrong bout everything else.

• Richard Stabone says:

I don’t see this fight being competitive. Something similar to Mir’s last fight, with Cain finishing what Nog couldn’t (or didn’t due to letting up on strikes after hearing a warning from the ref).

Cain vs. Reem for New Year’s Eve.

• Kamakosmo says:

One litle smidgedy minor issue with your post Richard….Dos Santos. say night night to Reem.

• Lord Faust says:

Cain’s stand-up gets a lot of undue praise, IMO. This is a close fight; I see Cain getting tapped.

• MCM says:

I agree with Richard about Cain taking out Mir. But Dos Santos is gonna put Reem to sleep in the first.
    I wouldn’t say that the Mir/Cain won’t be competitive, cause you never know what sub Mir is capable of. But I do think he’s gonna get lit up on the feet and then smashed the same way Lesnar did.

“…cause you never know what sub Mir is capable of. ” -MCM

Yep and that’s exactly what is going through my mind…Cain is gonna want to put on a show after his last Dissmal performance against a one legged striker who took his belt…I think he’s gonna be overly aggressive and a lil bit too loose and Mir is gonna find that opening and expose the fuck out of it.

• fanoftna33 says:

MCM, Rece Rock- thats exactly what I think Mir catches a overagressive Cain before the end of round 2.

• Angry Mike says:

I think this will be a competitive fight, but I don’t think Cain has any advantage in striking. Mir’s striking has really improved, and he was the first guy to ko Big ‘Nog, which was unthinkable at the time. Cain’s path to a win is to take Mir down and gnp fast and furious before Mir can throw up a submission. Wrestling is Cain’s strength, not striking.

• MickeyC says:

I love mir, probably my favorate fighter, and I would love to him get the W. But this is stiff competion for him. If he trys to wait it out until cain leaves a submission open he is liable to get put to sleep. Mir has done well aginst strikers, but has not fought a guy withthat kind of one punch power latley. Hope he keeps his head moving.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

If Cain wins it will be his biggest win to date.
    Rothwell is a top 20 candidate but only just, Kongo is in the same boat Nog is a very good fighter but Mir has finished him twice and Nog is on the decline. Lesnar whilst capable early on in his UFC career has been badly exposed as a bit of a joke. In all seriousness I dont think Valasquez has beaten a guy as good as the Mir that will turn up on fight night.