Jon Jones is open to but not interested in fight with Anderson Silva

One of the few legitimate “super-fights” in MMA is unquestionably a bout between UFC champions Anderson Silva and Jon Jones. Both men have been dominant over the past few years, looking untouchable for the most part while racking up impressive wins over some of the respective division’s top draws. While each has a serious challenge on the horizon, another few wins could put the talented, title-wearing competitors in a position without any clear-cut contenders in place, opening the door for a future match-up between the two as fans have long been calling for.

Though Jones is not necessarily looking to scrap with Silva, who he considers his friend and a role-model, he recently acknowledged the possibility in an interview with Brazilian outlet SporTV where he offered up some insight on the matter.

“My job is to be prepared to face the best in the world,” began the light heavyweight king. “I’d rather not deal with Anderson, but if I have to fight him, I will focus on my confidence and on my technique. I respect and look up to him so much. For me, the ideal scenario would be having him as my mentor and learn with him after he retires. It would be great for me. That would be ideal, but the world wants to see us fighting.”

Rather than facing Silva, a preferred option for Jones would be to test himself against a larger opponent instead of one fighting at his regular weight or below it.

“I spoke with Dana White about making a heavyweight fight in 2012 but he said he didn’t consider it a good idea right now,” revealed Jones. “But after beating Dan Henderson, Rashad Evans, and maybe Alexander Gustafsson in 2012, I don’t see what to do in this division, not wanting to disrespect anybody.”

Jones will face Evans in April at UFC 145 with Henderson eagerly awaiting his shot at the winner. Gustafsson faces Thiago Silva next month as well, looking to build off victories over Matt Hamill and Vladimir Matyushenko in hopes of establishing himself as a true contender at 205 pounds. Meanwhile, Silva is set for a rematch with rival Chael Sonnen at some point this summer though no official date has been announced.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

I wouldnt count hendo out that quick.

• MCM says:

I wouldn’t write off any of them. Especially cause Evans is gonna take his title in April.

• AlphaOmega says:

I doubt Rashad takes the belt, ever since Machida KOed him he hasn’t looked so good. Add in the fact that as soon as someone hits his chin he goes into defensive mode for the rest of the fight, and there’s no way Jones doesn’t clip him at least once. He looked good against Davis, but Davis is still fresh and learning and isn’t very comfortable with his striking.

• @ MCM…. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    NO. Rashad has a chance but he had problems with Machida’s range and Jones’s is far bigger. Its possible I assume but I just dont see it happening….Jones is starting to be the most dominant champ in the UFC right now second only to A Silva….say what you will about GSP but Jones has 4 finishes in a year…GSP has one in four years.

• MCM says:

I hope ya’ll are putting your money where your mouths are….it makes for a bigger payday for me.
    I say Jones taps to strikes in the 2nd.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

No way Rashad beats Jones. Rashad is going to juke and jive around first round trying to be all slick and after getting clipped a few times he will spend rest of his time trying and failing to get a take down.

I see late round finish or UD victory for Jones.

Lol@tapping to strikes ha ha ha

• Lord Faust says:

I’ll drink MCM’s Kool Aid on this one. Maybe not tapping to strikes, but Rashad wins a lot of fights no one expects / wants him to win.

• MCM says:

Yeeesss. Join the Dark Side.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Rashad will only win the race to the hospital, he will get destroyed like the rest, Jones is just an animal. I can’t imagine him having any trouble at 205. I want the Silva fight and then to see him against the heavyweights.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I wont say Rashad wont beat Jones but Id like to know how you think he is going to do it.

• AlphaOmega says:

If Rashad wins Ill say itll be by decision, I don’t think it’ll be by finish.